invision620

freq finding

10 posts in this topic

yooo guys, whats going on...i re-found my scanner after moving, and im pretty much in the boonies now. so how would i go about finding freqs out here?ive searched the interweb trying to find frequencies and i cant find crap.

yooo guys, whats going on...i re-found my scanner after moving, and im pretty much in the boonies now.  so how would i go about finding freqs out here?ive searched the interweb trying to find frequencies and i cant find crap.

try www.radioreference.com

yooo guys, whats going on...i re-found my scanner after moving, and im pretty much in the boonies now.  so how would i go about finding freqs out here?ive searched the interweb trying to find frequencies and i cant find crap.

Everything that's licensed by the FCC can have its frequency data looked up by visiting the General Menu Reports web page. I find that lat/long frequency range request to be the most useful.

As far as technical how-to info is concerned, your best (and free!) source is Ticom 'Zine issue #3.

yooo guys, whats going on...i re-found my scanner after moving, and im pretty much in the boonies now. so how would i go about finding freqs out here?ive searched the interweb trying to find frequencies and i cant find crap.

Everything that's licensed by the FCC can have its frequency data looked up by visiting the General Menu Reports web page. I find that lat/long frequency range request to be the most useful.

As far as technical how-to info is concerned, your best (and free!) source is Ticom 'Zine issue #3.

Get something with a Signal stalker like feature (Radio Shack Pro 94 has it for sure)

frequency counters! these little guys are mostly used for figuring out what signals are in circuits, but attach an antenna and you find out whose talking around you! optoelectronics makes a bunch, from simple ones to high end ones with memories and extra features. Their Cub, a simple but tough guy that I own, can be had for <100 bucks if you keep an eye out.

frequency counters! these little guys are mostly used for figuring out what signals are in circuits, but attach an antenna and you find out whose talking around you! optoelectronics makes a bunch, from simple ones to high end ones with memories and extra features. Their Cub, a simple but tough guy that I own, can be had for <100 bucks if you keep an eye out.

For electronic interception, I would recommend one of the scanners with the Signal Stalker/Close Call feature instead of a frequency counter these days. You can buy a Uniden BC-92 for $100 from Wal-Mart, and its Radio Shack equivilant, the PRO-83, was being sold on clearance for $60-$80.

- Signal Stalkers have shown to be more sensitive than a frequency counter for signal acquisition.

- You are able to lock-out unwanted frequencies.

- They won't constantly hit on continious high-power transmitters such as pagers and broadcasters.

I've used everything over the past 10+ years from the old Radio Shack 1.3 GHz. freq counter to an Optoelectronics Scout Freq. Counter with an Icom R-10 receiver. For the money, one of the Signal Stalker/Close Call police scanners is your best bet if you want to do near-field signal interception.

"Signal Stalker" is Radio Shack's trade name, and "Close Call" is Uniden's (Bearcat). From a functional standpoint they are the same.

I found the SCOUT Frequency recorder with antenna at the last Dayton Hamvention for $150...not too shabby...

A lot of indy publications list area by area frequency finds. Search ebay for your area and see if anything shows up. I was extremely surprised to find that some guy was selling old crystals for a bearcat scanner I found in my girlfriend's grandmother's basement which I brought back from the technologically dead.

If your scanner is digital, you might consider connecting a voice recorder to it, setting it to monitor frequencies, and setting the voice recorder to voice activated. Leave this running for a while and you'll get an idea of what sort of freqs you can find.

A few things that came to mind...

http://www.radioreference.com/ - probably the best site out there for public safety frequency data besides the FCC.

Also, Wal-Mart in this neck of the woods (CT) has the Uniden BC-92 "Close Call" scanner on clearance for $80. The "Close Call" scanners have that near-field frequency detector feature that works extremely well for sleuthing out nearby signals.