Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JavaKrypt

Linux on a USB 2.0

7 posts in this topic

Yes, with Slax and a few other distributions.

Slax is one of the better livecds to use to boot off of USB you can make your own also but I prefer using a livecd that has an easy installer

this is what i did, first you do not need a live version unless you want that distros. As long as the kernel itself and the modules you have the supported that you want. and the CPU is the same type on every computer (which is the same for live distros). just install linux on the drive as if it was a hard drive, then the apps you. Or do what i did, if have linux installed and your happy with that then just copy it over the the drive.

-lowlevelup

DSL has a very good USB install, it even has a script that dose all the setup for you. you just download and burn the live cd (only 50 megs) then after you boot the cd, in one of the menues ther is "Install To USB".

i liked it alot, up can activate apt and it almost acts like a debian mini distro, mounting the free space you have on the thumbdrive + what ever swap partition you have on the machines HD as /

'course i never used slax on a usb (or at all for that mater) so it may be a better choice, but the DSL USB instalation was extreamly painless.

hmm, i got slax, and installed it on my usb flash disk, now, adding kismet and other tools, i would basically follow the same way irongeek does in one of his video tutorials ( This One To Be Exact ). Can someone pls correct me if i am wrong?

Edited by desturbed

DSL is the way to go if you're looking for a compact linux. 50MB!!! But if you're looking for some of that "Ub3r l337" stuff, try out Knoppix STD or PHLAK.