Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
desturbed

WarDriving

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, can someone please list the basic things needed for wardriing, I know it seems like I am just jumping into it, but thats how I like to learn, I will mess around with things and see how everything workx. Thnx :D

This is the basic.

* Laptop Computer - At least a pentium 100 with a free PCMCIA slot and serial port for GPS.

* 802.11b-compliant wireless ethernet card

* The Software, Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac, everyone is supported.

Optional: GPS receiver for location tracking. A way to get around, a car, bus, subway,

walking, bike.

Currently im using my ThinkPad laptop with a ralink pcmcia wifi card + kismet and

ethereal on freeBSD 6.0

This is the basic.
* Laptop Computer - At least a pentium 100 with a free PCMCIA slot and serial port for GPS.

* 802.11b-compliant wireless ethernet card

* The Software, Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac, everyone is supported.

Optional: GPS receiver for location tracking. A way to get around, a car, bus, subway,

walking, bike.

Currently im using my ThinkPad laptop with a ralink pcmcia wifi card + kismet and

ethereal on freeBSD 6.0

And I went the extra step and hooked up a Garmin eTrex Venture to mine via a Serial-to-USB adapter cable so I can make plotted maps of hotspot locations through KisMac (basically, Kismet for Macs).

All you really need to start though, is a WiFi-enabled laptop and some free software like NetStumbler or Kismet, etc.

First time I went wardriving it was with my friends 100mhz PI with Debian and fluxbox running kismet in a terminal. The thing was ratty but it did the job.

Now I use my 1.6ghz Toshiba laptop. I use Auditor (Live Linux CD) while I am wardriving because of all the awesome tools it comes with. I can use either my onboard wifi b/g card or I use a Cisco Aironet 802.11b card with an 8dbi external antenna. Since I don't have a car I do a whole lot of WarBussing, WarWalking, WarBiking, WarCouching, and so on.

if you don't have the funds for a laptop (SAVE UP!!! j/k) PDA's will work too.

But the basics of my setup:

Laptop (Dell 9200 with the default internal wifi nic)

Car Adapter Inverter (poor battery hogging mammoth)

Netstumbler Software

Ethereal Software

get a card with a spot for an external antenna

cause i got screwed when i bought a d-link usb card

i think it goes like 20 ft lol

im using it right now cause i dun have internet so i link up to the local hotspot.

i get horrible reception and i have to sit in the corner of my room to get it

and if i bump the table

it all goes to shit

so dont get a pos get a nice one