PsypherX

Wardriving Gear ^_^

30 posts in this topic

i know they say something to the effect that the card may not say orinoco on the label but it's exactly the same thing:
We have also included a PCMCIA 802.11b Gold Classic Wi-Fi card manufactured by Orinoco.  Some cards carry the Orinoco label, others  carry the Proxim, Enterasys, Avaya, or 2Wire, but they are all manufactured by Orinoco and are the same card. We test each card before we ship and all cards are loaded with the latest firmware and come with a full 1 year no-hassle warranty from us.

im thinking about ordering from them... was what you got something not functionally the same as an orinoco?

Bah - it works - I just had to spend some extra time digging around for a compatible driver for my PowerBook, when I had something else lined up and it didn't work. No biggie though - I had a run-in with a seperate hosting provider for another one of my projects and I guess I had a bit of short-fuse syndrome going on.

All in all - I took my laptop, gps, new PCMCIA card, and all assorted cables out for a test drive tonight, and it performed great. My only problem now is that my inverter keeps shorting out :(. It blew the cigarette lighter fuse in my car a while ago, since I guess it takes more than 150 watts to run my PowerBook, so I hooked it up to my car battery today just to test it, and the first time I turned it on, my car battery sparked. I turned it off, then disconn'ed and reconnected the inverter, and it wouldn't turn on.

I'll try again tomorrow, but it seems as if my dream of riding around with an inverter won't work that great - at least not the one under my hood. Does anyone know of some relatively inexpensive large, rechargeable, 12V batteries that I can clip my inverter to?

For anyone still watching the topic, i ended up buying one of those Buffalo High power Cards from a local store and that thing kicks ass. I am able to get like -68dB to -74db where before was only able to get like -80dB to no signal. :D

Edit:

The only thing is this is a windows only card as far as i know so you cant use it to do any of the cool stuff with linux

Edited by unknown_entity

Ive got a Belkin G 54mbps wifi card, are you saying that with an additional antenna I could pick up an unecrypted hotspot about 100m from me? Bearing in mind theres a block of flats in the way too.

Im in range of a wep encrypted routed, but am still struggling with wepattack/cant crack it

Ok first thing im dumb as hell when it comes to anything linux related.

I recently ended up buying some wardriving gear from wardrivingworld.com that included an an orinoco gold card(actually a compaq but they say it's equivelent) an when i boot with The Auditor Distro they give you it does not recognize the card at all.

http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Auditor_main

Before i ran auditor and tried the card i run it under windows and knoppix STD. In knoppix STD i did do some type of wireless card configuration. Im not sure if installing it in windows ot messing around in knoppix STD screwed up the firmware or what.

i emailed them explaining the situation, i got this in responce:

Included the WLAN-NG drivers for Prism cards. Use "switch-to-wlanng" command to move from hotap driver to wlanng. To return to hostap use "switch-to-hostap". Please keep in mind that you need to remove and

reinsert the pcmcia card. This wlanng driver is needed for chopchop got the patches of chopchop applied.Drivers: - New wireless drivers supported - Orinoco drivers fixed (More firmware independent)

- Dragorns Orinoco monitor mode patch - A lot more drivers in Kernel - Better acpi support - New alsa sound drivers 1.0.4The Orinoco uses the WLAN-NG driver set

I have no idea what that means... i 'll try to play around in auditor to see if i can make it work but i doubt it because it doesnt even recognize the card from booting or inserting after it's booted.

You guys who got the orininoco cards from them, what did you do to get it to work?

Im honestly getting quite desperate/annoyed at this now... If someone can help me out like step by step somehow IM or phone maybe i'll pay whoever does some $$ or hook them up with some free stuff. I've got some 256Mb pen drives and a UPS i'd be willing to offer.