PsypherX

Wardriving Gear ^_^

30 posts in this topic

I just ordered an Orinoco Gold Classic 802.11b card, along with a 7.0 dBi 9" magnetic antenna with 5' low-loss cable to add to my nifty collection of wardriving/plotting gear.

I have a Garmin etrex Venture that I have hooked up via a serial-to-USB cable adapter that sends coordinate info to my PowerBook running Kismac. Man, I can't wait to get the rest of that stuff and canvas my new neighborhood.

Now I just need to get my power inverter working again, since the cigarette lighter attachment blew the fuse and I've yet to replace it. :unsure:

Cool, that's similar to what I use. Classic Orinoco gold, only I have a 12 dBi and running Kismet on an old Compaq laptop I bought for cheap. Range was pretty good, I was picking up APs from roughly a mile away -- of course, this will depend on line of sight, landscape, buildings, etc. I haven't actually been wardriving in a while heh, I can pick up quite a bit of interesting stuff just mounting the antenna outside the window of my upstairs apartment.

Yeah i have an orinoco classic gold i got from the wardrivingworld people at shmoocon. it has the Compaq label on it, but its the same card, just different label.. Im planning on getting a senao 2511+ card with the dual antenna jacks on them, and a foldable laptop antenna. I have a small magnetic antenna around here somewhere.

0f_1_b.JPG

I just started my wardriving a few weeks ago, with my new Thinkpad and a

ralink pcmcia card.

Picked up 108 networks just today ^_^ witch is pritty good i think considering

is live in a small town

I just started my wardriving a few weeks ago, with my new Thinkpad and a

ralink pcmcia card.

Picked up 108 networks just today ^_^ witch is pritty good i think considering

is live in a small town

Yeah, it has to be. I did a drive-through of downtown D.C. about a year ago, and had an INSANE amount of unsecure networks popping up (>200), and I was only showing those that weren't encrypted by any means.

Plus, I was using the standard Airport Extreme card that's built into the PowerBook, and had to keep the screen down (where the antenna is), so I didn't pick up nearly as many hotspots as I could have.

It will definitely prove very interesting once I get everything hooked up and working again. :)

That reminds me. I had to do a convention (non-hacker related) in Orlando about two weeks ago. I live in Jacksonville Beach, Fl - So I "wardrove" the entire way there, to a buddies house, then back. We found about 2200 networks on the way.. Oh, my gear I used...

Senao 2511 w/ a mag. mount 7.5 dbi antenna. Kismet with my Dell laptop.

We saw many insane things, like small/medium size medical firms with wide open wifi connections.

When I got home, just for grins, I ran wepattack against the WEP enabled networks with a small dictionary (standard ispell/usr/share/dict files). On the first pass, it cracked about 20 networks.

Needless to say, WEP is far from secure, but I found some of the passwords quite funny. They typically related to the organization that usedthe access point.

I was going to throw up some statistics on the information I found. I want to run a larger dictionary attack on the networks before I do.

I just ordered an Orinoco Gold Classic 802.11b card, along with a 7.0 dBi 9" magnetic antenna with 5' low-loss cable to add to my nifty collection of wardriving/plotting gear.

I have a Garmin etrex Venture that I have hooked up via a serial-to-USB cable adapter that sends coordinate info to my PowerBook running Kismac.  Man, I can't wait to get the rest of that stuff and canvas my new neighborhood.

Now I just need to get my power inverter working again, since the cigarette lighter attachment blew the fuse and I've yet to replace it.  :unsure:

Be careful ordering those, lots of guys pass off the non-classics as classics, and even if they aren't being deliberate, some of them just don't know any better (while advertising that they are classics, the are infact pre-wifi: I didn't want it THAT classic :P)

Yeah i have an orinoco classic gold i got from the wardrivingworld people at shmoocon. it has the Compaq label on it, but its the same card, just different label.. Im planning on getting a senao 2511+ card with the dual antenna jacks on them, and a foldable laptop antenna. I have a small magnetic antenna around here somewhere.

0f_1_b.JPG

You will love the Senao. This is what I have - 200mW is about all you would want from something internal. There are 400mW mini PCI cards that have Linux drivers, but I think that they are meant for stand alone APs, not go pop in your lappy. 250mW is the legal limit for wifi IIRC, anyway. Soon as finals is over with, I will get started on the biquad feed for the satellite dish.......wardrive from the couch........... (warsnipe?) Anyway, the Uni's open AP is only 2 miles LOS, so there is a practical use for this. When I'm done I'll post pics to the projects section.

I have a Garmin etrex Venture that I have hooked up via a serial-to-USB cable adapter that sends coordinate info to my PowerBook running Kismac.  Man, I can't wait to get the rest of that stuff and canvas my new neighborhood.

Now I just need to get my power inverter working again, since the cigarette lighter attachment blew the fuse and I've yet to replace it.  :unsure:

Be careful ordering those, lots of guys pass off the non-classics as classics, and even if they aren't being deliberate, some of them just don't know any better (while advertising that they are classics, the are infact pre-wifi: I didn't want it THAT classic :P)

0f_1_b.JPG

You will love the Senao. This is what I have - 200mW is about all you would want from something internal. There are 400mW mini PCI cards that have Linux drivers, but I think that they are meant for stand alone APs, not go pop in your lappy. 250mW is the legal limit for wifi IIRC, anyway. Soon as finals is over with, I will get started on the biquad feed for the satellite dish.......wardrive from the couch........... (warsnipe?) Anyway, the Uni's open AP is only 2 miles LOS, so there is a practical use for this. When I'm done I'll post pics to the projects section.

Under Linux using the Hostap drivers, you can push the Senao 2511 (dual antenna) from 200mW to

249mW. It's a small modification in the hostap drivers. I've used it for (*cough*) long range connections.

Be careful ordering those, lots of guys pass off the non-classics as classics, and even if they aren't being deliberate, some of them just don't know any better (while advertising that they are classics, the are infact pre-wifi: I didn't want it THAT classic  :P)

Like hbp, I ordered mine from the guys at WardrivingWorld, and they have a solid reputation among those in the WiFi arena. I have no worries, and hey, I can always return it. :P

Those Senaos look nice though - I might have to pick one up one of these days. :)

I don't know about you guys, but wardriving got old the first 10,000 miles I put on the car ...

I don't know about you guys, but wardriving got old the first 10,000 miles I put on the car ...

It does. It's not something I do daily. It is nice to help kill time on long drives/trips. If I'm doing a little

war walking, I use my trusty iPAQ 3650 w/ the orinoco.

It does get old.

Hah! I'm just looking for an excuse to spend some of my free cash and have fun with technology for a little while. Much like everything else, the novelty wears off, but there's just something badass about running around with an inverter, GPS unit, hotspot detector, laptop, and all the nifty cables and shit that it entails.

Now all I have to do is change the "DING!" sound Kismac makes when it finds an open hotspot to Admiral Ackbar saying, "IT'S A TRAP!" and I'll be all set. :lol:

Hah! I'm just looking for an excuse to spend some of my free cash and have fun with technology for a little while. Much like everything else, the novelty wears off, but there's just something badass about running around with an inverter, GPS unit, hotspot detector, laptop, and all the nifty cables and shit that it entails.

Now all I have to do is change the "DING!" sound Kismac makes when it finds an open hotspot to Admiral Ackbar saying, "IT'S A TRAP!" and I'll be all set. :lol:

Free cash?! I've got many ideas you can do with free money the best one i can think of is give some to me! =p

Free cash?! I've got many ideas you can do with free money the best one i can think of is give some to me! =p

Scratch the thing about free cash - I've gotta front the bill for a press dinner coming up next month to the tune of $400. And I thought it was taken care of. :(

i have a old school toshiba 420cdt, it used to ride around in my trunk with my garmin etrex and my cisco LMC-350 with a 8dbi gain mag mount. Now, granted i never really went looking for the access points, but every now and then, i would bring the laptop into the house, and grab the logs off of it.

12,237 APs to date.

i have a seano 2511.. its pretty good, the only problem is that they are B-only.. and most networks now-a-days are G so there are a lot of networks you cant really access properly. But as far as range goes, its a great card.

I use a SMC EliteConnect (SMC2532W)... two MMCX ports.... 200mW on a single 9dbi omni works out pretty well. Drains the battery hella-fast on an old dell lappy...

I can get a 1mbps signal on the other block from my shitty netgear router.

speaking of WiFi... thought I'd plug FON (en.fon.com), some movement to create a free wifi network accross the world. who cares, but they are selling WRT54GLs for $25. Not a bad deal at all. Curious to see what can be achieved with WRT + a full watt (http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=2915&cat=269&page=1) + a 9dBi omni on my roof w/ my SMC on the receiving side... just a thought

The best antenna I've come across...old CB vehicle antennas. My work van has one from our old comm. days, I just cut the coax end off and added a micro-BNC male...netstumbler has never been more satisfied.

Well, keep in mind that during normal "war driving", theres pretty much no reason to leave your card at 200-200mW draining the hell out of your battery. I just drop my senao down to as low as it'll go. Why should I waste power on transmit, when all I'm going to be doing is passively receiving?

I just got a hp zv5000. I am looking for a good wifi card that i can do some wep cracking with. any ideas on what would be a good card for me? I would prefer something in the 50 dollar range.

Thanks

You can crack with any card....the ones talked about above are good for picking up signals farther away and working well with the software used for wardriving and WEP cracking.

what software is the best all around? I have a usb g card but cant get any soft to work for it. It was a cheap one so it isnt compatible with anything.

wow alot of that stuff is pretty awesome. And i have been looking for something cool to blow about $200 on.

Does anyone know how good those high power buffalo cards are as far as compatibilty when compared to the orinoco gold when running certain apps off of XP or knoppix STD

Those sons of bitches at WarDrivingWorld.com sent me a Dell TrueMobile card instead of a fucking Orinoco Gold Classic, which is WHAT THEY FUCKING ADVERTISED. I know for all intents and purposes, it's damn near the same card, since Lucent manufacture(s/d) Orinoco cards for Proxim, and Lucent also manufactures Dell's cards, but WTF has happened to TRUTH IN FUCKING ADVERTISING?!

What a way to kick off my week! WOO! :angry::angry::angry:

i know they say something to the effect that the card may not say orinoco on the label but it's exactly the same thing:

We have also included a PCMCIA 802.11b Gold Classic Wi-Fi card manufactured by Orinoco.  Some cards carry the Orinoco label, others  carry the Proxim, Enterasys, Avaya, or 2Wire, but they are all manufactured by Orinoco and are the same card. We test each card before we ship and all cards are loaded with the latest firmware and come with a full 1 year no-hassle warranty from us.

im thinking about ordering from them... was what you got something not functionally the same as an orinoco?