desturbed

A Good Place To Get A Cheap, Used Laptop?

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I recently watched the great guide by "Irongeek" on purchasing a used laptop. I understood all of it, and know what to look for. I just wanted to get your opinion or recommendation on a good place to buy a used laptop, eg eBay. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated :)

Thx

-De_STuRBeD

*I am really sorry for posting it in the wrong section, didn't know where else to post it*

Edited by desturbed

You could try looking on ebay or at pawn shops around your area for the laptop.

If there are any local gamers groups in the area thats a good place to check. University for-sale boards are also good. Ebay will work, but the down side is you can't examine them by hand.

thx, will check out some places :) my bday coming up, so, i hopefully will get a little extra cash to pay for this laptop :)

Check schools, municipal institutions for sales sometimes they dump a glut of labtops/pcs at the end of the year.

Ebay is probably your best bet for getting a cheap used laptop or desktop computer.

If local sources fail, definately go to Fleabay.

But be careful, as others have stated - you need to know what you're looking at and have a feel for the make and model you're shopping for. And even then, you can still get fuxord by some pig-in-a-poke machine.

I have got some good working units from this site

You may pay a little more then what you would get from ebay.

But they seem to be on the honest side and I am happy with Everything that I have purshased from them.

http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/

As far as ebay goes, I bought a cheap used laptop myself a good while back and it worked pretty well. My brother bought two, and on one of them the display went flaky within a couple weeks while the other is still running okay. Buying from ebay obviously has its risks.

There is a computer swap meet not too far from here that takes place every now and again. Something like that would be another place to look, and you can examine what you are interested in. Not only that, but you might be able to trade for it rather than spend any money.

Not sure what kind of price tag you are aiming for, but Dell has a seemingly nice one (1.5GHz, 512MB memory, 60GB hard drive, 802.11b/g, etc) for $499 which sounds awful cheap compared to what I paid for mine heh. I'll probably get one myself, but I'll have to check on hardware support for Linux.

Thanks guys for all your recommendations, got all the info i needed :) thx

but Dell has a seemingly nice one (1.5GHz, 512MB memory, 60GB hard drive, 802.11b/g, etc) for $499

The Dell Inspiron B130? Edited by desturbed

Yep, the B130. Sorry, I completely forgot to mention what model. :-P

Yep, the B130.  Sorry, I completely forgot to mention what model. :-P

Yer, thanks, my birthday is coming up, and i asked for this laptop. Its very cheap for a new laptop and i need a laptop for school work, homework, and, umm, cough* wardriving *, cough....

Ex-corp boxes are good, they're dirt cheap and in good nick.

I got my ThinkPad T-23 1.3Ghz, 512Ram, 40Gig HD with a case

and free shipping for £300

When it arrived the only thing that gave away it wasnt new was

the box it came in.

www.pricewatch.com

www.mcbia.com

WAL+MART and walmart.com are both pretty good actually. I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite A55 from WAL MART for like $600 and I'm more than happy with it.

Be careful with ebay. Good chance you'll get mailed a box of rocks or something equally disconcerting.

Check out if your local university has surplus sales. Ours always has older model stuff (old world macs, pentiums) The last time I was there I saw a powerbook 1400C for $50! I would have picked it up, but it didn't have a CD ROM. Old shit like that is good cause you can put Linux/NetBSD on it, and you can hack around with it. The best part is, if you fuck something up, you can afford to toss it into the dumpster. I really just wanted the lappy so I could have something I could carry around with me all the time to use with SSH (perhaps remote x sessions) and not worry about it getting fucked up/ stolen. Not something I can do with my VAIO. When I lived in Columbus, there was this place called Hacker's Heaven that carried all kinds of dirt cheap surplus electronics and older computer stuff. So it might also help to ask some local geeks at the local Computer Society or whatever.

Good Luck.

Be careful with ebay. Good chance you'll get mailed a box of rocks or something equally disconcerting.

I hear people say these things a lot and in the 7 years I've been a buying member, I have not once been ripped off. I think it deals with common sense more than anything. If its too good to be true, more than likely, it IS too good to be true. And there are MANY insurances you have when you buy things from ebay as well as using Paypal from ebay. All you Paypal haters, please don't rant about them. Again, I've had no problems what so ever for I don't know how many years with Paypal either.

saw that too

it's pretty informative

but there just not cheap enough :cuss:

Yep, the B130.  Sorry, I completely forgot to mention what model. :-P

Yer, thanks, my birthday is coming up, and i asked for this laptop. Its very cheap for a new laptop and i need a laptop for school work, homework, and, umm, cough* wardriving *, cough....

I don't like Dells. Cheaply made, use refurbished parts, and if the hinges get too loose you'll have to disassemble the whole screen to tighten them back up.