Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dexter Douglas

Dayton Hamvention

7 posts in this topic

Who's going to the Hamvention? I'm pretty sure I'm going because I can stay at a campground nearby for less than $30. If your between central PA and Dayton and you wanna tag along, let me know.

Is anyone else going? The Packet Sniffers will be there. Our travel party keeps getting smaller as the date approaches though.

i truely wish i could go again this year... :yell:

I'm curious about what goes on at this event.

I used to love going to hamfests in the late 90's because all the companies in my area were dumping their not-so-old UNIX workstations, X terminals, and SCSI storage equipment there as they raced to saddle themselves with Windows. There were a lot of gray-market "used" equipment dealers selling pallet-loads of SPARCs and Ethernet switches.

I remember one group we used to call "The Russians". I remember overhearing someone asking one of The Russians "where does all this stuff come from?" To which he replied in his thick accent: "what are you, a cop or something?" and said no more. The Russians always had the best stuff in the largest quantities. Although I had an amateur radio license, I was always there for the computer stuff.

Now my local hamfests have shrunk to tiny events. Although you can still find some interesting things, the gray-market dealers and their high-end equipment are all gone and the tailgaiting area is more like a community yard sale.

Could the Dayton Hamvention bring me back to the good-old-days?

YES, YES, and YES.

The main part is in the hara arena, the main enterance. There's a indoor stadium where all the hot shot ham radio compaines show off their newest equipment. All the side wings of the place have booths ranging from small companies to bigger ones as well. I always do one big sweep of all the rooms to see whats up. Computer builders are becoming much more prominent.

Now, just step outside, but 1st close your eyes. Take a deep breath, then open.

For as far you can see, STUFF. Its all people that drove all their junk and got a park n sell booth at hamvention. Some of the stuff is worthless (2 dollar UPSes ? ), but some of the indivduals have some grey area merch that can be had cheap. All in all, its a great time!

YES, YES, and YES.

The main part is in the hara arena, the main enterance. There's a indoor stadium where all the hot shot ham radio compaines show off their newest equipment. All the side wings of the place have booths ranging from small companies to bigger ones as well. I always do one big sweep of all the rooms to see whats up. Computer builders are becoming much more prominent.

Now, just step outside, but 1st close your eyes. Take a deep breath, then open.

For as far you can see, STUFF. Its all people that drove all their junk and got a park n sell booth at hamvention. Some of the stuff is worthless (2 dollar UPSes ? ), but some of the indivduals have some grey area merch that can be had cheap. All in all, its a great time!

To me, the real meat of the hamvention is individual merchants. I'm a fan of flea markets and electronic surplus sales, but they are few and far been in my area. Generally, when I am able to go I know enough in advance so I can save up some money and come home with a truck load of really cool stuff. Even the broken gear is great, but I love my soldering iron anyway.