Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cypress

cell phone caller id

17 posts in this topic

This might be a real noob question, but how come on lan lines the caller ID shows the name and the number of the person calling and on cell phones it only shows the number of the person, or the name if he/she is in your contacts?

This might be a real noob question, but how come on lan lines the caller ID shows the name and the number of the person calling and on cell phones it only shows the number of the person, or the name if he/she is in your contacts?

SDMF|MDMF

notice the noob in the post? What is SDMF|MDMF?

Ohh. Thank you RightCoast for that link.

Does anyone have the CDMA or GSM spec where they talk about the caller ID part of the call? That would be useful.

Does anyone have the CDMA or GSM spec where they talk about the caller ID part of the call? That would be useful.

Haha, that's what I should've suggested in the other post ;) GSM specs are available from ETSI. AFAIK CNAM is not sent in the IAM but is looked up seperately from the presenting switch so the CNAM can be looked up whether or not the call actually originated from it (i.e. the CID is not the originating number).

Having said that, I can't comment from experience since BT, C&W and mobile operators' Caller ID only display the number.

Anyway, try searching for some of those terms (also Wireless CNAM/WCNAM)

HTH

FWIW, I once had a GSM phone that had an option that said "Caller ID Name" in the Network section. I'm not sure if it was actually a network related option or simply misplaced.

FWIW, I once had a GSM phone that had an option that said "Caller ID Name" in the Network section.  I'm not sure if it was actually a network related option or simply misplaced.

I have something like that (can't check.. bricked my phone) but it was for outbound Caller ID blocking.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't believe that CNAM delivery to mobile terminals is even in the GSM spec.

this thread wins the "acronym usage of the year" award.

this thread wins the "acronym usage of the year" award.

That is exactly what I was thinking

I think strom is right....CNAM is never sent to a cell phone. Some extra SS7 goodies are. Like if your landline is fowarded to your GSM phone. When someone calls your landline , some GSM phones will say "Fowarded call" first before it rings.