Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceni

can you recommend a NAT router, please?

19 posts in this topic

hi, can someone recommand a NAT router i can use with Linux? atm my modem doesn't work with Linux and i have to hack it to get it working, it means livecds don't work too.

i asked on the Ubuntu forums, but no one actually recommended one particular router, maybe there's just too many to recommend just one, i don't know??. i have a DSL connection and and use PPPoE, and i don't want wireless. thanks

if you dont want wireless, there are linksys routers out there, i forget the model number, but they are non wireless and cost like 30 or 40 bucks

you could always upgrade to a WRT54G for like 49 to 59 bucks at walmart, that way you can use the nat device, and have wifi avalable to you if you want it in the future.

any router will work as long as it's ethernet or wireless but your probably want a wired one

If you're really looking to learn, get an old 486 machine, put in two NIC cards, and install linux, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, whatever you want... and learn how to do unix routing. It's cheaper, and you learn more. You can usually get a 486 for free from a local computer shop who wants to throw it away. At most you might end up paying $10-20.

wow, thanks for the help, everyone. i think i'll have alook at the linksys first. but, my Father has some old boxes from his work, it's a long train ride away though - i live in London btw, so i'll find out about routing everything through that too some time in the future. thanks.

Edited by iceni

If you're really looking to learn, get an old 486 machine, put in two NIC cards, and install linux, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, whatever you want... and learn how to do unix routing.  It's cheaper, and you learn more.  You can usually get a 486 for free from a local computer shop who wants to throw it away.  At most you might end up paying $10-20.

You say it's cheaper? You obviously don't pay your electricity bill....

Get a linksys WRT54GL .... install DD-WRT or OpenWRT (google these for more info) .... and you are then open to all the options you would have with a linux pc built into a router, plus more...

cheers

If you're really looking to learn, get an old 486 machine, put in two NIC cards, and install linux, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, whatever you want... and learn how to do unix routing.  It's cheaper, and you learn more.  You can usually get a 486 for free from a local computer shop who wants to throw it away.  At most you might end up paying $10-20.

You say it's cheaper? You obviously don't pay your electricity bill....

Get a linksys WRT54GL .... install DD-WRT or OpenWRT (google these for more info) .... and you are then open to all the options you would have with a linux pc built into a router, plus more...

cheers

thanks, Polymira :)

Soekris boxes are great low power routers, but I don't understand why linux won't work with your modem unless it's a USB modem. Buy an old Cicso router if you have some spare cash. They're worth their weight in gold for what you'll learn.

If you wanted to mess around with the 486, the best firewall/router distro for a n00b to use would be smoothwall as it is very basic to set up, but also very configurable and has lots of mods for it, plus good forums. Go to:

www.smoothwall.org

P.S. Your question is kind of weird. You mean your modem you have will not work at all with Linux? What is the exact make and model of it? What service are you using?

Edited by telesniper

Yeah... or pfsense/m0n0wall. I just personally dislike smoothwall.

thanks for all the help. this PC uses a USB modem called speedtouch 330. it doesn't work with Linux out-the-box it's rubbish :lol: i've got smothwall on a disk somewhere, i'll have a look. but, i think i'm going to get a hardware firewall to start with.

are any of these hackable?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034

slargestcomputersuperstoreoper.th.png

the image is from www.pcworld.co.uk/ you just need to do a search for WRT54G to get to the same page. the link i had for the page didn't work because of session ids

http://www.savastore.com/catalog/search.as...2%A310%2C000.00

i'm going to listen to the two Twats about them now B) thanks

Yuck. I have no idea about hooking a USB modem up to a router. Your best bet is to go over to smoothwall.org and search their forums to see if it will take usb modems as your WAN side. Either that or check about what type of service you have and if they check their customers Uname and pswd against mac addys like they do with cable modems. If they don't it is concievalbe that you could get an ethernet modem/router like the speedstream 5200 or other.

The WRT54G will not work. That is for ethernet WAN connections, and your modem is USB.

If you want a router that will work with ADSL, buy one that specifically says it has an ADSL modem (a good thing as USB DSL modems won't cut it when / if you get MAXDSL). "Cable / DSL" routers won't work. If you don't want wireless, you'll be hard pushed to buy a router. There are models like the Draytek 2600/2800 without wireless but those are expensive. Just buy a router w/ wireless and turn the wireless off. At least you'll have it if you want it.

One example is the Linksys WAG354G/WAG54G. It has an ADSL modem but I have not heard great reports on it.

btw, what ISP are you using? pretty much all the UK ISPs bar AOL want you to use PPPoA not oE.

Edited by mo0

Yuck. I have no idea about hooking a USB modem up to a router. Your best bet is to go over to smoothwall.org and search their forums to see if it will take usb modems as your WAN side. Either that or check about what type of service you have and if they check their customers Uname and pswd against mac addys like they do with cable modems. If they don't it is concievalbe that you could get an ethernet modem/router like the speedstream 5200 or other.

hi, i'm just going to disconnect the usb modem and replace it with the WRT54G. i just need to find out if any of the WRT54Gs i linked to have linux installed because the newer versions have something else.

i really, really hate shopping. i know it's going to take me days to work out if i can use any of those WRT54Gs. then i'll get it wrong and end up with something i don't want :blowfuse:

hi, i'm just going to disconnect the usb modem and replace it with the WRT54G. i just need to find out if any of the WRT54Gs i linked to have linux installed because the newer versions have something else.

i really, really hate shopping. i know it's going to take me days to work out if i can use any of those WRT54Gs. then i'll get it wrong and end up with something i don't want :blowfuse:

And how are you going to get your DSL connection to work with a WRT54G without a suitable ADSL modem? (ethernet ADSL modem needed)

The WRT54G will not work. That is for ethernet WAN connections, and your modem is USB.

If you want a router that will work with ADSL, buy one that specifically says it has an ADSL modem (a good thing as USB DSL modems won't cut it when / if you get MAXDSL). "Cable / DSL" routers won't work. If you don't want wireless, you'll be hard pushed to buy a router. There are models like the Draytek 2600/2800 without wireless but those are expensive. Just buy a router w/ wireless and turn the wireless off. At least you'll have it if you want it.

One example is the Linksys WAG354G/WAG54G. It has an ADSL modem but I have not heard great reports on it.

btw, what ISP are you using? pretty much all the UK ISPs bar AOL want you to use PPPoA not oE.

oh, well that shows how closely i was listening when i learned about networks at school lol. i have no clue what i'm talking about. you mean i can't use this

even though it says

Wireless Router and USB Adapter

my ISP is Tiscali.

this is giving me a headache, i'm going to go a lie down for abit. all i need is a modem which will work with my OS and let me use livecds. should i have asked for a modem instead of a router ???

oh, well that shows how closely i was listening when i learned about networks at school lol. i have no clue what i'm talking about. you mean i can't use this

even though it says

Wireless Router and USB Adapter

my ISP is Tiscali.

this is giving me a headache, i'm going to go a lie down for abit. all i need is a modem which will work with my OS and let me use livecds. should i have asked for a modem instead of a router ???

What you linked to won't work with ADSL without an ethernet ADSL modem.

Either an ethernet ADSL modem (ebay) or router with built-in ADSL modem (will say so in product description or box) will do what you want to and will work with any OS. I have a router, I am using linux atm and it works fine.

thanks for all the help. i'd started a few threads about this and always just had the suggestion to get a web configuable router knowing in the back of my mind it wouldn't work for me. but, i actually spent afew minutes thinking about it then worked out what i needed - an ADSL Router with built-in modem. so, that's what i'm about to order. thanks for all the help. :)