Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t3st.s3t

payphone harvesting

12 posts in this topic

here in the 330, it appears as if sbc/at&t has it out to take down all of the "less used" payphones.

i noticed last week that the phone down the street from my house was gone, and the pole and payphone housing were still there. today, someone (not an sbc/at&t employee) was cutting down the pole. i noticed that he had several payphone housings, poles, and old ameritech signs on his trailer. he also had 2 old glass phone booths.

i turned around and talked to him. he told me that he was contracted to take down the old booths, housings, and other what not from after sbc/at&t removed the phones. he said that these locations were both indoor and outdoor. he also told me that he was personally assigned 120 locations throughout 2 counties.

long story short, i asked him what was to become of the leftovers. he told me that the housings were to be recycled to a cocot, and the rest was scrap metal. i told him of my interest in phones and if it were possible to buy any of what he had on the trailer. i was able to get 2 ameritech payphone signs and one ameritech payphone housing for $40 bucks cash. i seroiusly offered to buy the booths for $200 each(and they were old bell system), but he said that he did not want to take the risk for his job. <_< later on today i noticed about 3 more removed phones.

anyone else see this in the new at&t?

well, at notacon i did notice that there were about 10 places where payphones had been removed inside the hotel. from what i gathered, they were all there last year.

well, at notacon i did notice that there were about 10 places where payphones had been removed inside the hotel. from what i gathered, they were all there last year.

SBC/AT&T has been pulling payphones like crazy in northeast ohio. I'm pretty sure I was telling you about it over the weekend.

I've noticed at least one payphone gone on campus...though I just assumed it was some like-minded student :)

BT are being very back and forth on the matter here (this is the situation in Mid Cornwall - I can't speak for anywhere else).

They started by placing notices inside the booth stating that the phone is to be removed. Fine, I thought - I live in a village, and the phone didn't get much use, and there's another one down the road I can use.

Then, they removed that notice and upgraded the other phone to do email and send text messages (probably as it's a busier phone but not so much that you have to queue at any time of day). The first booth, however, looks shabby and unmaintained. You probably can't get into it anymore as there is a bush behind the booth, the door is to the side, and the bush has overgrown.

Are they going to remove it? Don't know. I believe that BT have to maintain a payphone in each town/city/village.

BT have been upgrading the majority of the payphones in my area (mid cornwall), if they are coin-only phones, to do text messaging and email (the credit-card phones are not upgraded, though I believe there is a credit-card phone that does text and email. It's all very confusing).

http://www.zen82022.zen.co.uk/telco/ << the nicer of the two phones here. The other one is basically the same with a different keypad, washed-out advertisements that are out of date (I believe it advertises phone cards, which went out years ago), and there is no blue thing at the top of the booth.

today i was in a local children's hospital, and noticed that about 80% of the pay phones were removed (and there where a lot of payphones in this hospital). i figure that pay phones in a hospital would be a good idea because of the cell phone restrictions, but i guess that sbc placed too many back in the day.

About 2 years ago, before i started to get into phreaking, my little town of about 5k+ people had around 15 payphones. I started to get into phreaking about 6 months later, a year and half ago, and we had about 3 then : <...

I dunno why centurytel removed them all. There was one right outside one of their co's that i wanted to screw with.

I can count at least fifty phones that SBC/AT&T have removed here in Dallas. At least, but I'm sure it's a lot more.

I noticed when i went to homecoming back in october at my Home school that i don't go to there were payphones missing every where you looked. When i called home though i used a rotary payphone.

I dunno why centurytel removed them all.

There's no money in it anymore. Everyone has mobile phones.. even kids.

aside from ebay, where can you get your hands on one. I'm sure I could probably dig one up at the dayton hamvention or something

I noticed some payphones in the area that were missing all the instruction cards were gone and the return lever was up, didn't have a chance to investigate, but it looks like they were being taken out of service, maybe queued for removal.