Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JavaKrypt

Xbox to Computer

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if xbox components are compatible in gateway or any type of computer. If so which ones. Also are there anysites that show the specs of a computer if you inserted these components into it.

Does anyone know if xbox components are compatible in gateway or any type of computer. If so which ones. Also are there anysites that show the specs of a computer if you inserted these components into it.

what the fuck are you talking about? you cant pull shit out of an xbox to put in a computer, because there isnt anything to pull out. i guess a fan or something, but thats it.

what the fuck are you talking about? you cant pull shit out of an xbox to put in a computer, because there isnt anything to pull out. i guess a fan or something, but thats it.

no there an intel chip and a motherboard...worthy of a try. :go:

More than worthy of a try. Think about it, a case is a case. The hardware doesn't care if it is in an xbox case or a replica Ford Model T. So take the crap out, put it in something cooler and install Linux on it. Boom, done and done. You could do any number of things from something as simple as putting the optical drive in a "Gateway" case, to attaching more storage and making it a fileserver in a manly antique wood box Like John Wayne's fileserver would be. :P

More than worthy of a try. Think about it, a case is a case. The hardware doesn't care if it is in an xbox case or a replica Ford Model T. So take the crap out, put it in something cooler and install Linux on it. Boom, done and done. You could do any number of things from something as simple as putting the optical drive in a "Gateway" case, to attaching more storage and making it a fileserver in a manly antique wood box Like John Wayne's fileserver would be.  :P

Rightcoast, the optical drive is the only scavangeable(word?) part of an xbox...the rest is all built in to the mobo

Yeah the RAM and CPU are soldered onto the board. If memory serves me right, the form factor for the board won't fit into a standard atx case, same with the PSU. That and the proprietary power cord for the dvd drive is pretty short as well.

Hard disk should be standard IDE. But if you think you're going to pop a chip off and plug it into a PC mainboard, that's a definite no-go.

The HDD is IDE (standard molex power and IDE ribbon sockets), however it will be locked if it's the original HDD. There are guides and tutorials around to tell you how to unlock the WDC and Seagate drives.

I've had both drives, are really easy to unlock.

I suppose if you had a low-wattage computer, you could use the PSU as from around the v1.1 xbox on I *think* (and I might be wrong) they are ATX. You'd have to go over it first as I'm not 100% sure.

The DVD drive, I don't know an awful lot about.

I took my Controller and attached a USB cable to the end of it, now I can use it on my computer and on my xbox. I also have a 1G USB drive working as a memory card on my Xbox. You can install a better GUI on you Xbox and many other things, it just depends on what you want.

Edited by Logic

are there any websites with detailed instuctions on how to do this.

plz let me know as soon as possible.

p.s. i would like to know how to make it into a server

thx*

Right, I knew that all the components are on the mainboard for the most part. I meant something more along the lines of just ditching the xbox case, put _everything_ into a cooler case and just run it as a PC. I know nothing about Xbox hacking. I think I have only even played it once or twice, but I have seen Linux on an Xbox. If you moved everything into something like a wood box, or something even cooler like a diamond plate ox you make, that would be neat. I have a couple Xboxs' laying around my house and took a peek, and yeah, the optical drive is the only part that can be used in a Gateway (or any) PC case without modification. I kind of mentioned that, but not so clearly.

Edited by RightCoast

I am currently hacking my xbox's hardware. I plan to modify it to support a 500 GB hdd and a Linux server. The processes and concept are novel, really, as the Xbox is essentially a pc. I believe the make is IBM. Xbox-Linux-Wiki is an interesting resource, in my opinion.

Best of Luck,

:paw: Soho

EDIT-

New status: 12:36:53; GMT/ Central Time USA/

Current Status:

> Completed construction of 2 "USB 1.0 to XBOX USB" adapters

> 3 USB Hubs tested. 2 failed: Not recognized (at all, cable was not faulty) by Xbox dashboard.

> Confirmed Sandisk 32 MB Cruzer Mini functions correctly.

> Video of Hardware Hack in progress (Xbox opening, TSOP re-flash and Linux install procedures)

> Video of Software Hack completed (All software procedures)

> FTP client operating ("sort of operating")

Future Updates:

> Hardware hack completed

> Videos and files will be placed on Xbox server to be downloaded by EUs

> Will attempt to "fix" the USB hub problem- minor issue as Linux does recognize the hubs

Edited by Soho

the easiest/cheapest thing to do is to softmod it, then put a bigger hdd in it.

Right, I knew that all the components are on the mainboard for the most part. I meant something more along the lines of just ditching the xbox case, put _everything_ into a cooler case and just run it as a PC. I know nothing about Xbox hacking. I think I have only even played it once or twice, but I have seen Linux on an Xbox. If you moved everything into something like a wood box, or something even cooler like a diamond plate ox you make, that would be neat. I have a couple Xboxs' laying around my house and took a peek, and yeah, the optical drive is the only part that can be used in a Gateway (or any) PC case without modification. I kind of mentioned that, but not so clearly.

The optical drive won't work without mods in a PC. The power connector is different.

The hard drive will work provided it's unlocked.

Ultimate Console Hardware Hacker

Check out Mr. Heck...i've got his book, even built a portable NES and SNES from it...he's always got new projects goin'.

JavaKrypt, judging from your posts, I personally don't think you are capable of anything involving "modding" or "hacking", much less turning your xbox into a server.

I remember reading somewhere about a guy who managed to circumvent the bios and basically unlocked all of the hardwar in the xbox. I think he went by bunny or something like that.

In my Xbox, I soft modded it so that I could run unsigned code and so that I could basically download my own games as well as run a different dashboard. You can use the old hard drive, but it needs to be unlocked.