Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eldiablo

Win XP Printer Sharing Issue

9 posts in this topic

I'm having a problem getting printer sharing set up for someone. It's two XP machines, one desktop and one laptop, on a LAN. I see no reason why it shouldn't be working (insert Microsoft joke here). File and print sharing is on, printer drivers are installed, file shares between the two work fine, and the firewall is set to allow sharing between the two. The printer is connected to the LPT port on the desktop and is shared, has the "hand" on the icon. But yet, the laptop will not see it when going through the "add printer" wizard and having it search for shared printers. Normally I have no problem with setting up file and print shares. Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

Networking in Windows has always been puzzling and hard to remedy. Have you tried pinging between the two? Are the IPs set right? Subnets?

Yep, pinging between the two was successful. IPs are set right. I agree Windows networking can be flaky.

go to a folder and type \\(computer name or ip) and see if you can see it.

and make sure their on the same workgroup or domain.

-lowlevelup

Edited by lowlevelup

Through trial an error, a while back I idntified at least 6 ways you can define a printer in windows. Each is different, and has different limitations.

terminology:

Local printer: the print driver is located on the local computer.

Network printer: the print driver is located on the remote computer.

1) a "local" printer connected to a local physical port (usb/lpt).

2) a "local" printer connected by a locally defined tcp/ip port(different than an ip port) to a networked printer.

3) a "network" printer that appears to be a local one, basically a shortcut to the print driver of a remote printer on a remote computer connected by RPC

4) a "local" printer connected to another computer's printer resources by windows networking

5) a "local" printer conecting to a domain wide tcp/ip port

6) a "network" printer that is defined to your user/group by the administrator, but is mapped to the print driver on a different computer by RPC.

Because the specific requriements were that i needed an ASP.NET application to print directly. This means that it could only use "local" printers. The two "network" type printers are by far the easiest for an admin to set up so they are infinitely more likely to be installed on a network. Keep that in mind.

So make sure the printer is shared on the desktop. like lowlevelup said, go to \\computername and see if its there. If so, you can right click and go "connect" to define a type 3 printer. This is the easiest method and should serve your needs unless you too want to print directly from an ASP.NET application.

-lowlevelup

I didn't try it that way. They are in the same workgroup though. As I stated in the initial post file sharing works perfectly between the two, just not printer sharing.

This is going to sound fucked up but, when going to add a printer; have you tried typing in the destination manually instead of picking it from a list of printers (which it's not picking up)?

This is going to sound fucked up but, when going to add a printer; have you tried typing in the destination manually instead of picking it from a list of printers (which it's not picking up)?

If by destination you mean "\\computername\printersharename", then yes. I haven't tried it by IP as someone mentioned before, not sure if that will work or not. This is driving me nuts, I've set up a few Windows LANs before, but never ran into an issue like this. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers and everything but still no dice.

-lowlevelup

I didn't try it that way. They are in the same workgroup though. As I stated in the initial post file sharing works perfectly between the two, just not printer sharing.

That is very odd. I have setup over 50 printers on LANs. What I would try to do next is try to loop back (\\computername or ip) to the desktop computer to see if you can share it with yourself. 127.0.0.1 and localhost will not work in windows if i`m not mistaken. When you do that and the print is not there then you have a sharing problem with that printer.

-lowlevelup