Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFI

OH YES, THE LONG AWAITED

24 posts in this topic

Personally I view that more as Mac selling out =\

Posting this from an ibook, I can only ask why you would want to do this. The gaming crowd is likely to have pcs already, and are unlikely use a mac because of upgradeability issues even with the os barrier out of the way. For everything else, I cannot think of any reason to do this.

Why do both companies keep contradicting their hate for each other, stupid, if you are going to bash a company for 25 years you can't side with them. Same thing with Intel, Apple spent millions of dollars smashing Intel and then deals with them.

I don't really want to see this software used, it takes the fun out of computing for me in a way. I like to be able to switch it up and use different kinds of workstations. If they think gamers are going to switch to Macs, they're are wrong, any gamer has the "apple sucks" attitude.

What I don't get is why people call Apple Computer Co. "Mac." It's as dumb as me calling a car company "Maxima."

Anyway, I can see why this is a good idea - it attracts fence-sitters who are considering upgrading to a Mac but still feel tied to the Windows world.

What I don't get is why people call Apple Computer Co. "Mac."  It's as dumb as me calling a car company "Maxima."

That is a pet peeve of mine as well.

More on topic I think this is more of a novelty/proof of concept thing than anything.

thats for putting Mac OS X x86 on a non mac, this is for putting Windows on an intel mac. Not even same category really heh. Although thank you, I tried installing off a patched Mac OS X x86 cd once on my normal x86 comp and it failed miserably, maybe your link will help me out a bit/

Posting this from an ibook, I can only ask why you would want to do this.  The gaming crowd is likely to have pcs already, and are unlikely use a mac because of upgradeability issues even with the os barrier out of the way.  For everything else, I cannot think of any reason to do this.

i'm running linux on that box. :D

and strom i guess i call it mac because it's one syllable and mac os x is the os that runs on apple computers. honestly who wants to say apple? two syllables?

Edited by PFI

I'll spare you the extreme sarcasm, and ask a question: Why would you want to do that? No one fucking buys an Apple computer to run Windows. That's expensive and pointless.

I'll spare you the extreme sarcasm, and ask a question: Why would you want to do that? No one fucking buys an Apple computer to run Windows. That's expensive and pointless.

I want to be able to do it because I love Mac OS X, but sometimes I need Windows for one little thing and obviously I'd rather not have to have 2 computers, or 2 laptops to do this.

Example: I want to hook my Blackberry up to my computer via USB cable so I can go online at EVDO speeds on the laptop, but right now the needed software is Windows only. So if I had a MacBook Pro, I'd be all set.

Posting this from an ibook, I can only ask why you would want to do this.  The gaming crowd is likely to have pcs already, and are unlikely use a mac because of upgradeability issues even with the os barrier out of the way.  For everything else, I cannot think of any reason to do this.

Gaming? Upgradeability issues?

This ain't the early 1990's. We're not running a 68k processor. There isn't any special Apple connector for the keyboard and mouse. We don't need a SCSI board for our 500 MB hard drive or our nifty 4x CD-ROM anymore.

I mean, really: look at how much the Mac Mini costs. It might not have a monitor, but the damn thing comes with more options than a $800 Dell desktop. A $2000 MacBook is lighter, faster, and far more well-equipped than a comparable Dell laptop. And unlike a Dell, you're guaranteed to not get a hard drive that breaks in 3 months.

So, c'mon. Gimme a break. :nono:

Also...

What I don't get is why people call Apple Computer Co. "Mac."  It's as dumb as me calling a car company "Maxima."

Anyway, I can see why this is a good idea - it attracts fence-sitters who are considering upgrading to a Mac but still feel tied to the Windows world.

Most people refer to their cars by the model, not the make. If someone owned a Porsche, they'd tell you the model number right along with it; or if someone owned a Mazda Miata, they'd just say "Miata".

Edited by tokachu

Ok so here is the main reason people want this- People love OS X but are tied to windows because most business apps dont run on apple. Now when you goto fill out some form in safari/firefox/opera/IE5(on OSX) and the page comes out as crap (due to shitty web devs) instead of waiting until you get back to the office you can just boot up in XP and fill out the form then return to OSX.

I prefer to use OSX but having only one working comp in the house makes it really shitty for my gf when she needs to fill out her forms that only work in the latest XP build of IE.

I saw this before. I think Apple is mostly doing this to increase hardware sales. Personally, I'd rather them release OS X for x86 hardware other than the new Intel-based Macs.

I saw this before.  I think Apple is mostly doing this to increase hardware sales.  Personally, I'd rather them release OS X for x86 hardware other than the new Intel-based Macs.

You will probably be waiting for a long time. It is not in Apple's business plan to directly compete with Windows in the OS market; many superior systems have gone down that road and perished. Just download the DVD image and run it under VMWare or QEMU. With hope, somebody will make it compatible with Xen; now THAT would be sweet.

(Note to self: must find iso/torrent of OSX)

With hope, somebody will make it compatible with Xen; now THAT would be sweet.

Yes it would.

Gaming? Upgradeability issues?

This ain't the early 1990's. We're not running a 68k processor. There isn't any special Apple connector for the keyboard and mouse. We don't need a SCSI board for our 500 MB hard drive or our nifty 4x CD-ROM anymore.

I mean, really: look at how much the Mac Mini costs. It might not have a monitor, but the damn thing comes with more options than a $800 Dell desktop. A $2000 MacBook is lighter, faster, and far more well-equipped than a comparable Dell laptop. And unlike a Dell, you're guaranteed to not get a hard drive that breaks in 3 months.

So, c'mon. Gimme a break. :nono:

I was referring to the fact that not all games are available on osx, but the odds are that they're available for windows, which would be the only thing I can think of that a windows box can do that a mac can't.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was impossible to upgrade an apple computer, I'm just pointing out that there can be a little bit more effort involved. For example you have to take putty knives or some other thin lever like apparatus to a Mac Mini if you want to open it up. It's not that hard, but it's enough to put some people off.

However, you're right. I jumped the gun a bit on that. You can upgrade any component on an iMac. I was under the impression that there were certain parts that were "off limits", so to speak.

I want to be able to do it because I love Mac OS X, but sometimes I need Windows for one little thing and obviously I'd rather not have to have 2 computers, or 2 laptops to do this.

Example: I want to hook my Blackberry up to my computer via USB cable so I can go online at EVDO speeds on the laptop, but right now the needed software is Windows only. So if I had a MacBook Pro, I'd be all set.

Um, yeah - it's called Virtual PC. I don't really like it all that much, but I use it on my 12" AlBook. It gets the job done.

What I'd really like to see is something more integrated - like Classic mode, but for Windows. Nobody wants to have to keep rebooting. (I'd think that would be easily possible now with the Intel Macs, but then again, I'm no programmer.)

Maybe a port of WINE is in order? Apple seems to be gung-ho on the OSS bandwagon, so maybe they could contribute some of their time and resources to such a project.

...any gamer has the "apple sucks" attitude.

I'm a gamer and I'm an Apple fanboy. At least I was, until they started whoring themselves out and opening up their world to problems we haven't even imagined yet.

The thing with Apple, is that their shit just works. And if it doesn't (typically only speaking about hardware here - and make no mistake, they ARE a hardware company more than anything else), they know exactly how to fix it, and in a timely fashion. Now they're bringing the wonderful world of Windows to an Apple machine that runs off an Intel chip?!

WTF is the world coming to?

I still love Apple products, and the Mac OS (it's fucking beautiful in every way), AND I also understand why they've done what they've done (from a business perspective), but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. It's the principle.

/shrug

I own a few Macs including a Mac Book Pro and since there change over to Intel very little makes them stand out, beside the looks and when other company start producing computers with the same spec but at a quarter of the price, the only thing Apple will have left is some good looking machines which most people can’t afford.

Now if Apple had gone with AMD and made a G5 with the two new quad core AMD’s (they will be out soon) or if they made a computer that used a motherboard like the Thunder K8QW which will take four AMD Opteron and 64GB of ram and has dual PCI Express x16 slots, I would be a Apple fan boy but they would have to made OSX run like a dream using all 8 core's.

Ideally if Apple made a computer that had four quad core AMD’s and had OSX take full advantage of them, I think that would really make them standout, instead of getting Windows to run on them.

Edited by m3747r0n

Thats a pretty stupid comment relative to what's been released thus far which is:

A: A mid end desktop (imac)

B: a powerbook replacement (read: power consuption is most important)

C: a super low end desktop (mini)

For apple, amd has some disadvantages. No decent low power models (yeah it's on the roadmap, but intel is here now) and questions about their ability to deliver in volume when it's needed (one of their problems with motorola too).

If you don't know ppc assembler, then I think the cpu difference is mostly a nonissue. Apart from my intel imac being significantly faster than my powerbook was, I don't see a lot of differences, really.

I own a few Macs including a Mac Book Pro and since there change over to Intel very little makes them stand out, beside the looks and when other company start producing computers with the same spec but at a quarter of the price, the only thing Apple will have left is some good looking machines which most people can’t afford.

Now if Apple had gone with AMD and made a G5 with the two new quad core AMD’s (they will be out soon) or if they made a computer that used a motherboard like the Thunder K8QW which will take four AMD Opteron and 64GB of ram and has dual PCI Express x16 slots, I would be a Apple fan boy but they would have to made OSX run like a dream using all 8 core's.

If you don't know ppc assembler, then I think the cpu difference is mostly a nonissue. Apart from my intel imac being significantly faster than my powerbook was, I don't see a lot of differences, really.

I would be willing to bet that the Intel-based MacBooks don't fry your fucking nutsack like most of Apple's laptops are known to do. :cry:

I would be willing to bet that the Intel-based MacBooks don't fry your fucking nutsack like most of Apple's laptops are known to do. :cry:

i know exactly what you mean! it tingles!