Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tank

2 questions

26 posts in this topic

question one how long has everyone had a computer

question two is in the program knoppix the newest one it gives some kind of error that looks to be a I/o error but i have not read

the info one it yet. Anyhoo does it need a fat32 partition to be able to cash to ill post the errors later tonight :omfg:

well, i've had a pc since i was 6 so i guess thats a long time.

and what version are you using?? knoppix 3.2 is the latest

3.2 from june (dont rember the day but it'll be knoppix-3.2-6.X.2003 or something like that.

my first x86 was a 486 that i upgraded to the over-hyped intel overdrive chip. that was 1992-3

as for the file system.. for a knoppix HDD install i like the extended journal

I always had a computer since my brother had one when I was born in 1986. he had a commodore vic20 and a tandy1000. i fried the commodore's motherboard by playing with it too much :P

:( well i have a dell laptop latitude cpx-h 500mgz

ok this is the error i get :angry:

cloop:read at pos 718773215 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix,16024 bytes lost

cloop:error-3 uncompressing block 29279 65536/0/16024/0

718773215-718789239 end-request:Io error at pos 718773215 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix 16024 bytes lost.

cloop:error -3 uncompressing block 29279 65536/0/16024/0

718773215-718789239

end_request:I/O error,dev f0:00,sector 3747744

i get all this before it loads my hardware this i get the logo sound then a cursore and black screen the hole cd is 693mb and my c drive is ntfs i hope someone can help if any other info is needed ask :help:

hmm looks like the image was corrupted or something happened while burning. anyways your cd is screwed.

but i got two copies from 2 sites? :WHAT:

and it happened with both?!

then it prolly has some problems with your hardware.

ok, maybe the burner fucked both the cd's. try burning the iso on another computer and then try.

OK, first off, anything im going to ask here is NOT to insult or flame you, i take knoppix's inability to help you as a personal matter ;) But since i dont know you, im going to have to get all the info i can to help you out.

I have a dell inspiron 8200 that i installed knoppix on, and it worked great (after i got the version with the fixed install script.) This same laptop however, H-A-T-E-D mandrake. It was wierd. It took all the time to install, and it seemed to be installing, but on the first boot, it would tell me that some of the key packages didnt get installed properly, actually it was all of them. I have come to realize that it was a problem with the DVD/CDROM combo. Mandrake 8.2 just didnt jive with my hardware *shrug* But i have honestly never seen Knoppix reject any reasonably modern hardware. So the problem may be with the ISOs, but you seem to have tried 2 unrelated sites, and are having the same problem...

So, riddle me these:

1. how many programs have you burned via ISO?

2. Were there any problems?

3. What prog did you use to burn?

4. Under what OS?

5. Are you trying for an HDD install, or just want to use it as a live distro?

6. What is the make and model of the burner?

7. What is the make and model of the CDROM drive on your lappy?

not many, but never had a problem

easy cd creator

windows 2000 pro

no hdd install just distro

my cdrom is a toshiba dvd-rom sd-c2302

and my burner is a i omega zip cd burner at 4x burn speed extenal

try using nero. i never get easy cd creator to work. theres a guide on burning iso iamges on linuxiso.org

try using nero. i never get easy cd creator to work. theres a guide on burning iso iamges on linuxiso.org

you don't need no stinking guide!!! :)

just throw it in nero and burn... unless you have an earlier ver of nero where it will only burn *.nrg

easy cd creator is a bitch, dont use it, use nero, at least if you want to use it download it and dont give them any money. it sucks!!

well all you need is a bowl of cereal ;);) www.andr.net

My first computer was a Commodore 128, sometime in the '80s. And you want the June 6, 2003 version of KNOPPIX 3.2.

I've had a computer since 1994 (it was a gateway).

i got it to work and it also help it was in english :glare: anyways ya ive been able to download a nother (english version) and it was a lager file size so the data that was missing is no longer thanks for the help also my problem it that iam on a network in my (school) dont ask. and the server or the site i get it from resets and i cant get info from a ftp thay seem to be blocked and iam not good enough to find out how to configure my laptop to get around some of the security

first computer was i think a apple 2 with the extenal 5.25 floppy drive with no monitor (tried to hook it up to the tv no worky :cry:

first working computer that ive gotting to this point was a compaq

700mgz from radio shack i wish i lived thair

argh radio shack rears its ugly head.....i really dont hate radioshack, i hate the ppl working there.

ive had a comp since i was 3. It was a VERY old mac. But my idiot sister pulled the BIG 5 1\2 in floppy out while it was running and it totally scrambled it. Now it is sitting on the shelf

ti99/4a(cartridges), commodore vic20(tape recorder, no diskettes), apple2+, commodore 64...

boy, i've come a looong way.

1st welcome to the board. the 1st computer i ever had was this beast my dad gave me. they called it a "luggable", b/c it had a handle so u could carry it, and it had a bulit in monochrome screen. its WASNT luggable. the best i could manage on it (i was like 7 at the time i think, so i wasnt doing anything fancy) was play some games (tapper is the SHIT!) and some w0rd processing. it ran dos, no idea on anything else.

mut3, you talked on one rfa ep about it right?? have any idea what company made it??

and what you describe was in a compaq or hp commercial, well, i wanna get a pic, so if you could remember the company it would be great.

hey mut3, is this it??

conv1.jpg

or one of these??

p2000mm4.jpg

it would have helped me if i had even a program at the time all i could do was get the time

(no dos)just the computer and its built in mem

My very first computer was an Amiga 500, wich isn't working today (don't know how). I was about 5 years old and we got it very cheap since the owner (family member) was getting himself a super modern computer with a Windows 95 (wow). Anyway I used it a lot till i was about 7½ when I got my 450 mhz, 128 sd ram, 7 gb harddrive, etc. it was a compaq deskpro, and some kind of number wich I can't remember, but they use such one at my library (actually they also have a P4, don't ask me why...).

I still remember me sleeping with my computer at night, and fucking it up twice, since I played a lot of games on it. Anyway the first thing I did was to go to C:\Windows\ and start looking, running every excuteable and so, by that time, I really fell in love with them.

good luck with the knoppix :voteyes:

not to be left out. my first computer experience was an apple II, choplifter ruled on that beast. the first computer i got to program with was the vic 20, typing out a 200 line program and running it without saving only then realizing you forgot the last 5 lines on the back of the instructions, whiping out all of your work = big time fun. :lol: