Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XlogicX

Presentation at phx2600 meeting

4 posts in this topic

I gave a presentation on some hardware obsfucation techniques this recent 2600 meeting in phoenix. It was nothing super 1337, but a few tricks I soldered on to a board in some spare time.

Trick 1: I put the components on a used board.

I had a spare power supply that I gutted for parts. So in turn, I had a blank PCB; with no components on it. This PCB was ready for some new components for an unrelated circuit.

Trick 2: I put way more components on the board than the "actual" circuit needed. So 70% of the electrical components were'nt even being used in the circuit.

Trick 3: I grinded down all of the pin-outs on the bottom of the board (with a dremel) I then re-flowed the solder so the "pin-out" was just a smooth bump. I then flowed all of the holes that didn't have pins coming out; so they looked identical to the actual pin-outs.

Trick 4: I clipped some "dud" pins and soldered them to the back of the board; there are pins coming out the bottom of the board where there are no actual components on the other side.

These are only a few of many tricks that could be used to obsfucate a circuit, but this is what I was able to do with the crap I had laying around. This is definately low budget obsfucation.

Here are some thumbnails of the circuit:

DSCN7109.JPG

DSCN7110.JPG

DSCN7111.JPG

DSCN7112.JPG

Larger pictures can be found on the March gallery of our 2600 site (I didn't want to plaster huge pictures on this thread, that's just pollution :P) :

March pictures

There is also a video of the presentation (so you can know what the circuit actually does, it's nothing I havn't built in one form or another though):

Video Clip

(thumbnail)

circuit.jpg

Edited by XlogicX

You forgot sanding down the tops of IC's to eliminate the IC ID.

you can always cover them in epoxy like the big guys....

I worry that a sanding could kill the IC.

I didn't really use any IC's so that wasn't really a problem. Although, I could have peeled the labels off of the capacitors I guess, though the size of a capacitor is usually a little revealing (but not always).

As far as the IC label removing, a little bit of acetone can go a long way.