Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
P(?)NYB(?)Y

Project Wal-Mart Freedom needs your help!

23 posts in this topic

In order to keep an awesome textfile from becoming outdated, dual_parallel has turned over responsibilities for updating Project Wal-Mart Freedom (available here) to me. As a first order of bussiness, I have taken the liberty of reorganizing the tfile so it is easier to reference. The most noticeable change is that the payphone directory is now arranged in sub-categories by state. The latest version should be up on OldSkoolPhreak.com very soon.

I have also taken the liberty of setting up a gmail account for you to send in your numbers and whatnot to. the email address is ProjectWalmartFreedom [at] gmail [dot] com. If you are going to submit numbers, I ask that you please include whether or not the payphone accepts incomming calls. I am also looking for people who are willing to test whether or not the numbers already listed accept incoming calls. If you are interested in helping out in this aspect DO NOT just start calling. contact me at the email address listed above, letting me know you are interested and how many numbers you would like me to assign you, and i will assign you a specific list of numbers. For ease of organization, i will limit the amount of numbers that any one person can be assigned at a time to 20.

Please don't let this great textfile die.

Old Skool Phreak has been updated with the latest version of Project Wal-Mart Freedom! Thanks for taking this over Ponyboy!

we have no listed numbers from the following states. if you have a Wal-Mart nearby, please lend a hand.

Alabama

Alaska

Arkansas (someone please hit up store #1 in Rogers)

Colorado

Deleware

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

Maine

Nebraska

Nevada

New York

Rhode Island

South Dakota

Utah

Vermont

Washington

Washington D.C.

Wisconsin

Wyoming

I will try to make it to the one or two by me in Indiana.

Ponyboy check the PWF email....

And a reminder: most, if not all, of the old PWF phones are on YAPL, most waiting for their data to be filled in and verified.

If you sign up for an account, look in the syndicated database. They should all be there.

ponyboy- A new super walmart justed opened last month, I'll go check it out and send you the infoz.

thanks everyone for the quick response to the call for help!

what's the point in the file?

wal-mart is a large corporation with an unbelievable amount of fun technology to explore. They have payphones at every store, many of which accept incoming calls. Phreaks can use these to get in touch with other phreaks. Besides, it's just plain fun to hack and phreak wal-mart.

What's the point in me releasing updates?

Because it is a project the whole community can get behind, contribute to, and make better. It is a wonderful piece of work that deserves to be saved from death.

How can I tell if a payphone accepts incoming calls?

How can I tell if a payphone accepts incoming calls?

not to sound, uh.. snarky.. but... you could try calling it..

most that dont accept incoming calls dont post the number or have a sign telling you no incoming calls,

i have a 1-800 vmb i call from the payphone, it then sends a quick SMS with the real ANI of the line to my cellphone, i can then call the phone back and listen to it ring, some "not accepting incoming phones" still ring very quietly, some pick up and offer modem tones or dtmf tones.

Is this only in America, because Wal-Mart has bought ASDA (super market) and they may have phones in there although I doubt it.

MCP, if you can get me some payphones from any stores wal-mart owns, as well as any other information on them, especially how the heirarchy of ownership is laid out, i'll definately try to get it into the next release.

I just dont see whats fun about calling a payphone?

it's fun because it's a mystery. People you never know, with lives and stories and belief sets you have no idea about, walk past payphones every day. It is an amazing experience to call a payphone and connect with someone you've never even dreamed of meeting, sharing conversation and ideas, and hanging up knowing that you potentially made that persons day.

i dont think there are any walmarts inside the Washington, DC district line. while there are def. ones in Alexandria and parts of Northern/southern MD - i just cant remember seeing any in dc ...

some other poops representing the 202 can correct me.

I'll try and get numbers for the Wal-Marts around here. I doubt any of them accept incoming calls.

I have a Wal-Mart SuperCenter nearby (in Appleton, WI), but I wouldn't go in there if you paid me $15 to do it. There's something about Wal-Marts that I just can't stand.

Not sure if this helps any, but:

http://www.priceviewer.com/walmart_locations/

(complete?) List of Wal-Mart locations, with phone numbers. If anyone feels up to a road trip, they could pick out some not-quite-nearby locations and check 'em out.

I was at the Appleton (WI) Wal-Mart today, it was a quiet time so I could stand it. They made it WAY too easy. Four Ameritech phones (COCOTs I think) with the numbers right on them. Calling their numbers called forth a hearty ring from the phone, so they do appear to be accepting incoming calls.

(920)734-4380

(920)734-2796

(920)734-4339

(920)734-2802

I'll mail you too.

Oops double post. Oh well, it's been a day.

Edited by roothorick

roothorick, thanks for the submissions!

also, counterspell!??! what fucking rock did you crawl out of? haven't seen you in at least a year.