Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M_from_S

RFA#35

7 posts in this topic

I'm not sure where and what to say but i'll start with a thank you, and say it was both a helpful and good show. I guess what i need to come to terms with is that i will not be a linux guru, ham operator, world class phreak, wi-fi wizard, and C programmer all at once. Or at least not overnight :D I'll have to focus on what i find most interesting and just dabble in the others when the opportunity presents itself.

I did not think the suggestions were over my head - someone mentioned that it might be too in depth, certainly not. And no need to supply website after website - i have enough reading material printed from google searches and bookmarks in my browser to keep me busy for months. These were some of the simple but insightful comments that struck me -

Forums over Newsgroups - i want information, not flames.

Hamfests - not only can i look at gear from electronics to radios to computers but i can also talk to people about it! Excellent.

Wi-Fi - just comparing cards / boxes at stores will certainly add information and it sounds so easy that just going out and wardriving will be a snap.

Phones - i'll be taking one apart this weekend. And i'm hunting down a telco supplier.

Newbie distros (Redhat 8.0/Mandrake) - if i wanted to deal with an OS having problems recognizing hardware, i'd stick with Windows. Not that i mind troubleshooting but i'd rather not start that way.

Personally i feel i just need to focus and be persitent in my pursuit of expanding my mind. I've got my analog multimeter and have been playing with that, i'm going ahead with linux, and hope to be out wardriving soon. I'm sure i'll have questions to ask and i think i'm at the right place to get answers from knowledgable and willing hackers.

And i'll keep listening, questioning, and reading.

That's a great attitude and i wish you the best on whatever you want to achieve.

Hell what your saying is true for everyone, just on various levels of what you know or what you don't.

Ok I feel like studying SGI computers today, so lets all chip in $5000 and buy me an onyx :D

M_from_S:

listen as far as linux and wardriving are concerned, I am in the same boat as you. I am learning about it right now also. I need to buy a cheap laptop and get more into it. But just so you know, I am no more knowledgable about it than you, so we cn compare notes on the same level.

What type of laptop are you going to go after? I am thinking of getting a Dell solely because i might be able to get Dell credit and pay monthly. Unless you happen to know other manufacturers that have similiar credit plans?

Dropping a suggestion:

Before going out and getting a lappy try checking into if it can support linux. It makes life in the long run easier to deal with. There are two ways to go about this... actually now that I think... 3 ways to do this. First you could download knoppix and test it at a store that you want to maybe get a laptop thru or whatever. If this isnt possible you can check the harware specs for the lappy and compare them with the linux sheets to see if they will work together. If that fails you do what most vendors do.... Call up the company and ask.. Can linux work on it.. or go onto some forums and ask around. More than likely it will be supported.

:grr:

To kind of elaborate on Zapperlink's suggestion. Try taking an extra step to see if you can find out what hardware the laptop you're looking at has with it.

I just got my laptop (a friend kind of donated it to me) and it's a Toshiba Tecra 750CDM Laptop. I went through and found all kinds of isntructions on how to install Mandrake on this computer. The problem I ran into is sound - which turns out, after some real digging and more RTFM I found out the module isn't auto-install/configurable you have to change a config file and pass some module parameters. which I got that all taken care of.

Even if you cant figure out all of the hardware. A simple look around on google for linux and your laptop model will usually give you a good idea of the problems you may run into on it.

And if you need some help, k0nd0r has already offered his help, and I will also extend my help, if I can.

Dell may be a good choice, as they actually support linux and you can order the laptops preinstalled with linux.

Also, you might want to check out local computer retailers. Not that I like a lot of them, but CompUSA, BestBuy, and the likes have thier own instore credit card programs as well.

Yeah I forgot to mention that point... Ill help where I can in testing or talking to corps if you need to find the laptop you need and want linux on. Hell I called redhat directly and asked them after some digging if a brand new video card was supported.... cause it wasnt documented yet due to it being new.