Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deiol

Modem/Fax noise on phone line

5 posts in this topic

Ok, before I bother to call Verizon and sit on hold forever, I figured I'd ask here. The idea came to me when my parents jokingly said that "maybe there is a tap on the phone and its broken." Whenever I call my girlfriend's house, the phone will ring on her end once and then stop. Then I'll hear a modem/fax noise. If the phone is picked up right after the first ring, or during the ring, you'll still hear the modem/fax noise on each phone. Can anyone think of what could be causing this?

There is DSL on the line which is split with a DSL splitter (no need for filters), no fax machines in the house. I'm gonna grab a phone and check the line at the NID later or tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Ok, before I bother to call Verizon and sit on hold forever, I figured I'd ask here.  The idea came to me when my parents jokingly said that "maybe there is a tap on the phone and its broken."  Whenever I call my girlfriend's house, the phone will ring on her end once and then stop.  Then I'll hear a modem/fax noise.  If the phone is picked up right after the first ring, or during the ring, you'll still hear the modem/fax noise on each phone.  Can anyone think of what could be causing this? 

There is DSL on the line which is split with a DSL splitter (no need for filters), no fax machines in the house.  I'm gonna grab a phone and check the line at the NID later or tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Assuming i read it right, perhaps there is a faxmodem connected which is set to answer very quickly.

on the dsl splitter, are you sure its working right? if you have a extra DSL filter, slap it on a line and see if it goes away.

you said its just when you call your GF, happen when you call anyone else, do you hear it when you call your GF from another phone, ect?

What is a dsl "splitter"? Is it like this:

adsl_2xnte5.jpg

where it goes on the "master" socket, and only one port on that splitter (and punchdown thing on the back) has unfiltered ADSL, for the modem/router and the other punchdown blocks and the other port are filtered ADSL which solves the problem of having a filter on every extension you have something plugged into?

The other socket is a standard BT NTE5.

I'm not sure how things are wired over there, but we have a master socket (NTE5) where the dropwire from the pole comes into your house, and is separated so that you can't even touch BT's wiring when you want to add extensions. You can take off the bottom plate and do what you like but not the whole socket - if you do that and you mess up your line and you have to get BT out they can and will charge you for fixing it. Behind those two faceplates is a test socket, which allows you to plug a phone straight into the line with all extensions cut out to see if any line problems still exist:

nte5_faceoff.jpg

on the dsl splitter, are you sure its working right?  if you have a extra DSL filter, slap it on a line and see if it goes away. 

you said its just when you call your GF, happen when you call anyone else, do you hear it when you call your GF from another phone, ect?

Sorry, I should have been more clearer, all the information provided was about my girlfriend's phone line setup. It happens when anyone calls my girlfriend's house. The DSL splitter is this one:

PS-15.jpg

It's been working fine ever since I installed it in the summer. The only thing on the line is a DSL modem, and some phones, no modem or faxmodem or fax machine is connected... as far as I know. It doesn't do this annoying thing when you call out from the house, so it seems like some device is picking up. Looks like I'll have to track it down.

And mo0, we have something similar here called the NID or network interface device. On one side its the phone company's wiring, and then a cable comes over from your wiring and and plugs into the phone company, which is where you can unplug your wiring and test the line. This is what I plan on doing today.