TrippinX

BRWiki

20 posts in this topic

Hiho fellow hackers, I've noticed that alot of the newcomers are asking the same questions continuously... we have all seen this several times, and it especially happens whenever these n00bs stumble upon a new term, such as phreaking, SE, blah blah hacker slang.

Why dont we make a Wiki as so many other sites.. for example www.cdfreaks.com - with links explaining the different programs, and so on.

This has to be the ONE site I know that would make the best use of it.

that way we can also overcome alot of those GIYF (google it you f**k - need a Wiki? :P) messages.

I strongly suggest that you take this feature request seriously, and do something about it fast.

The way I see it, The revolution will be terminologized... :ninja:

OKAY... we have docdroppers, so what? regular stuff that I mentioned before isn't explained. Off course because that we already have docdroppers, the only thing needed is further explanations of common things like, programs (such as nmap and other portscanners) slangterms and so on... whatever goes on in the forums should be easy understandable, the best way to make something understandable is by explaining it in details.

just make some more terms, and make special entries linked, so every time you would say PENIX! its would link to a site on docdroppers, explaining (I dont know how deep you could go on this term :P deepthroat?) that it's another word for penis...

anyways I hope you understand WHAT I mean, as this was as low as you could possibly go when talking brain usage.

Edited by TrippinX

well, submit stuff that you want to see in there, or convince other people to submit stuff. As for linking things to it in the forum automatically ... well, thats something else.

Yeah DocDroppers maybe needs to have a newbie section? Basic shit like "How to setup your linux box with a static IP", "What is ARP? Why is it useful from an attack standpoint?"

This way we can not only help the newbies without doing a crazy amount of postings but also may force us to share the information a little more freely, rather than complaining about having to write responses all the time.

After all, if this were a shell problem one of us would have written a script a long time ago to automate it right??? :D

JS

OOps there already IS a doc on setting a static IP, my bad.

Edited by jseitz

Basic shit like "How to setup your linux box with a static IP", "What is ARP? Why is it useful from an attack standpoint?"

I would love to have the time to write a ton of articles like this, but it takes a while.

Yep, Docdroppers needs articles of all types. I wrote a few, and have some more that can go on pretty soon, and if everyone would do the same (especially of ones they think it needs), problem solved. Automatic linking is really unessesary, after linking to commonly asked questions a few times, the rest of the community here will pick up on what link is what and link to them to offer a response themselves.

IMO Docdroppers is the answer to the OP question. It just needs people to collaberate and contribute more.

RightCoast - I think, that DocDroppers should be for more advanced hackers. I also think, that it is a good idea to star a Wiki specially for newbies...

I can host the wiki on my site [unmetered bandwidth] if some people are willing to write for it.

I can't be the only person who thinks that Docdroppers has room for everything from advanced shellcoding to simple How-To Set Static IP's documents. The index page does say:

we welcome any and all submissions!

it could be said "but what about even simpler than that?!" to which I say:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

http://www.wikipedia.org/

http://www.computerhope.com/

and if someone needs even simpler than that, there is always... http://www.geeksquad.com/

:lol:

Seriously though, I really have no clue. Any and all submissions seems straightforward, but I could be wrong. I never thought DocDroppers was exclusively for uncharted territory and never before seen hacks and leaving out noobs. Plenty of what I would say are very noob friendly docs there already, but maybe someone who does know the definitive answer will say what they think.

Our moderating team is working on a nubie FAQ that will be pinned at the top of the forum to answer the common/nubie qustions. A wiki for that seems like overkill to me.

DocDroppers is a library for documents and articles one any/all topics from any level. It really would contain more detailed answers for some of the "how-to" questions. Ideally, the FAQ posted here would be best served if we had DocDropper articles to point to in our answers!

example question:

How do I Hack Myspace?

Answer:

Asking how to hack any specific site is actually very vague question.  Some parts of myspace may be vulnerable to techniques that other parts are not.  try this link for some detailed ways to hack myspace that may (or may not) work.

Note that the link above is a search link but there are no results right now. If more people would contribute, there would be answers to the question right there.

well um... a good place to go for computer terminology is hyperdictionary

it also has good dream terminology

So maybe just make a big load of links to answers to most frequently asked questions?

Most noobs only need to be referenced to some google links and the "How to ask questions the smart way" FAQ. It would help A LOT of issues.

All this talk of putting up wikis everywhere is just balderdash when docdroppers serves this purpose PERFECTLY, just no one submits articles. If you want a FAQ for easy/noobie questions, write an article and submit it. Creating extra wiki's is just recreating a wheel that's already there (docdroppers) and you can contribute anything to help.

Basic shit like "How to setup your linux box with a static IP", "What is ARP? Why is it useful from an attack standpoint?"

I would love to have the time to write a ton of articles like this, but it takes a while.

ehhhh well thats just the thing about wiki's, everyone can write articles, they dont even have to write an entire article, they could just write "google is a searchengine." then another dude from the community could come along and write "google has many unique features, such as image searching." and so on -> "The creators of google are blah blah... they are known for keeping things i beta for a looooooooooooong time."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google

Automatic linking is really unessesary, after linking to commonly asked questions a few times, the rest of the community here will pick up on what link is what and link to them to offer a response themselves.

I don't think so... the entire reason I made this thread was so we could have specific keywords entered on this forum linked to explanations.. all I requested.

linking to commonly asked questions can get really messy, because the dumb questions are only going to increase in number.

basically the first keywords to be explained are programs... and maybe regularly used slang terms, we don't even have to write an article about every little thing, as most common things, such as Telnet and blahblah blah are already massively explained on the original http://en.wikipedia.org site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/telnet

Most noobs only need to be referenced to some google links and the "How to ask questions the smart way" FAQ.  It would help A LOT of issues.

All this talk of putting up wikis everywhere is just balderdash when docdroppers serves this purpose PERFECTLY, just no one submits articles.  If you want a FAQ for easy/noobie questions, write an article and submit it.  Creating extra wiki's is just recreating a wheel that's already there (docdroppers) and you can contribute anything to help.

I never asked about any faqs, I asked for in deepth explanations on regular stuff, being linked to keywords.

I hope at least some understand what I'm talking about, I don't need anything else, I requested this as it could be a major timesaver, along with being an even greater help to the newbies.

Edited by TrippinX

I hate to point it out, but the problem with DocDroppers isn't the idea - it would easily cover all the bases you've outlined - but that no one is contributing much... I've posted a few articles, and I don't mind posting some quick definitions for the odd thing, but really if you have a problem with the lack of content, stop whining and start writing ;)

Edit: Oh, and linking from the forum through keywords would be really, really annoying and would drive me round the bend... if new guys who don't understand what's being discussed have a problem, they can search it up on DocDroppers. Linking from the forum is overkill and totally overestimates the amount of time our moderating team have for dashing around redesigning a forum that works perfectly well.

Edited by Automaton

I see your point... anyways thx for hearing me out, even though I still feel it could be done without being a royal pain in the ass, only linking to programs then, simply underlining them.

the best thing we can probably do is make sure we teach all the new members where to go for help, without constant flaming of course, we don't want them to leave imediately :blush: