DarkSource

Asterisk - Hacking American Idol

13 posts in this topic

There is a really hot chick on American Idol this year.

Becky Pic 1

Becky Pic 2

Only problem is- she is probably the worst singer on the show.

I know many of you are probably thinking , who cares?

Well, my wife is a big fan of the show and I end up watching it with her. I have grown to like some aspects of the show.

Help me keep the hot chick on. Plus it would be really funny to know a bunch of hackers/phreakers controlled the outcome and made the hot chick that cant sing -- the winner.

God I want to fuck her.

There is a really hot chick on American Idol this year.

Becky Pic 1

Becky Pic 2

Only problem is- she is probably the worst singer on the show.

I know many of you are probably thinking , who cares?

Well, my wife is a big fan of the show and I end up watching it with her.  I have grown to like some aspects of the show.

Help me keep the hot chick on. Plus it would be really funny to know a bunch of hackers/phreakers controlled the outcome and  made the hot chick that cant sing -- the winner.

Welp, right off. It'd be pretty trivial to setup iWar with a pre-loaded list (with the # of the contestant you want to win). It'd work via IAX2 (VoIP) or with a old modem. The only problem with the current IAX2 state, theres no way to delay between dialing the 800 number and entering the contestant ID. That'd could easily change.

It's at least entertaining to think about :)

Welp,  right off.    It'd be pretty trivial to setup iWar with a pre-loaded list (with the # of the contestant you want to win).  It'd work via IAX2 (VoIP) or with a old modem.    The only problem with the current IAX2 state,  theres no way to delay between dialing the 800 number and entering the contestant ID.  That'd could easily change. 

Actually, asterisk annoy handles this quite nicely.

All you have to do is include silence as the annoy (sound) and enable it to call as many times as you wish.

You can even connect the annoy script back to your conference bridge if you want to test it so you can tell the votes are actually going through.

There is a different number for each contestant.

I agree, it would be different if you had to call one number, then dial the contestants number almost like an extension.

wasn't something like this done on the first season?

plus i'd think that there would be something that would keep a person from being able to vote more than once off of a single line, but i'm not familar with the show being as i've never watched it so i don't really know how the voting works. Still a neat idea though.

Edited by TelcoBob

They set up a caller block once you call your phone number will be rerouted to a PBX that has a recorded message. Since this was a big thing in liek the first or second season, so they decided to the auto dialer problem

What's being done about power dialing?

Production will have in place weekly monitoring procedures designed to prevent individuals from unfairly influencing the outcome of the voting by generating significant blocks of votes using technical enhancements. The producers reserve the right to remove any votes identified by producers as 'power dialing' votes.

Why can't I vote via the toll-free numbers using a payphone?

Votes from payphones will be blocked. To vote for your favorite contestant, use a standard landline telephone or cell phone. Charges may apply when using your cell phone.

i found this on an american idol voting faq

i wonder if the call would go through or be counted as a vote if you caused an ani-fail, you think that they have something set up that would weed out, or not count calls that haven't sent the proper information.

Welp,  right off.    It'd be pretty trivial to setup iWar with a pre-loaded list (with the # of the contestant you want to win).  It'd work via IAX2 (VoIP) or with a old modem.    The only problem with the current IAX2 state,  theres no way to delay between dialing the 800 number and entering the contestant ID.  That'd could easily change. 

Actually, asterisk annoy handles this quite nicely.

All you have to do is include silence as the annoy (sound) and enable it to call as many times as you wish.

You can even connect the annoy script back to your conference bridge if you want to test it so you can tell the votes are actually going through.

There is a different number for each contestant.

I agree, it would be different if you had to call one number, then dial the contestants number almost like an extension.

... And if you don't have asterisk installed. I know we all do, right :)

I've never played with asterisk anony, but I never doubted that it would be possible. iWar doesnt require asterisk at all.

What's being done about power dialing?

Production will have in place weekly monitoring procedures designed to prevent individuals from unfairly influencing the outcome of the voting by generating significant blocks of votes using technical enhancements. The producers reserve the right to remove any votes identified by producers as 'power dialing' votes.

Why can't I vote via the toll-free numbers using a payphone?

Votes from payphones will be blocked. To vote for your favorite contestant, use a standard landline telephone or cell phone. Charges may apply when using your cell phone.

i found this on an american idol voting faq

i wonder if the call would go through or be counted as a vote if you caused an ani-fail, you think that they have something set up that would weed out, or not count calls that haven't sent the proper information.

Dont do it from home, Ive heard alot of cases where people/parents got in trouble with the law for doing it...besides i really dont see the point of doing this...just so you can stare at this hot chick ?? hmmm do w/e you want I guess, but i think the reason isnt good enough...good luck ;)

well i really don't care who wins, i was just curious as to how their voting system is set up and what would happen.

well i really don't care who wins, i was just curious as to how their voting system is set up and what would happen.

Yea- she is gone now.

But I agree with telcobob.

I am also curious where the references are of these people that got in trouble with the law for this.

And it is much more than the hot chick factor.

I am curious about the methods that one could use to skew these types of shows.

Shows like american idol also allow you to text votes in to their voting system.

I found an article about sending sms messages from Asterisk and even pondered as to how this could be manipulated to allow text (sms) voting from asterisk. I am not sure how possible it would be considering that they only accept votes from the cingular network. Still, it is another concept to consider.

Yea- she is gone now.

But I agree with telcobob.

I am also curious where the references are of these people that got in trouble with the law for this.

And it is much more than the hot chick factor.

I am curious about the methods that one could use to skew these types of shows.

Shows like american idol also allow you to text votes in to their voting system.

I found an article about sending sms messages from Asterisk and even pondered as to how this could be manipulated to allow text (sms) voting from asterisk. I am not sure how possible it would be considering that they only accept votes from the cingular network. Still, it is another concept to consider.

does cingular have one of those web-text message portals like verizon does? you can spoof numbers from verizons.