Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soho

Linux and it's many dependencies

9 posts in this topic

I am new to linux and have found that to simply install something like madwifi or kismet you have to satisfy a massive list of dependancies. Is there any way to get them all at once or easily? It seems as if there is always at least one library, compliler or something that is missing when I try to install anything. (No it's not the same lib.. .I think)

I still run into this when I have to compile apps from source, but apt-get on Debian based systems works wonders. :) Go Kanotix for an easy Debian install where apt-get works well.

ditto for gentoo, basically any good package management system (read: portage or apt) will resolve dependancies for you

Holy crap- That just made the whole process faster by a factor of at least 5. Thank you!

linux has no dependancys, its a kernel.

now that i got the prickness out the way, use a package manegment system, like ports, or (does apt-get build deps and stuff?).

(does apt-get build deps and stuff?).

yes it does, makes it basically one command install for anything in the repositories

try and apt-get install Ntop .. maybe it's just me but that was still a total bitch to install :P

ok this is a good thing for m to learn i am trying to get linux on my test comp but i have a huge problem. how the hell do i get it to a comp with no internet and were is best place to download it from. should i download to disk or to a data stick. so many posibilities i need sugjestions. and also does any one have a sub domain i could hve until my friend gets a clan website. it wont have anything bad on it

thx

ok this is a good thing for m to learn i am trying to get linux on my test comp but i have a huge problem. how the hell do i get it to a comp with no internet and were is best place to download it from. should i download to disk or to a data stick. so many posibilities i need sugjestions.

Download a copy and burn the iso to a cd/dvd, and use that to boot from.