Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
social retard

so whats the big deal...

15 posts in this topic

i mean if you have linux wont my windows xp programs be useless? i mean yea i may be a total noob, but i know better. i use my computer for other things like gaming, and other shit, will the programs and stuff i own become crap?

....p.s.: feel free to flame

the linux kernel was created by Linus Torvalds, and he made it available to the world for free. which is great! then Torvalds invited others to add to the kernel and keep it free. Thousands of programmers started working on linux, and the os grew. because it's free and runs on pcs, its a favorite for hard-core developers.

so basically linux is harder to manage then windows, but offers more flexibility and configuration options.

and why should we flame you? i mean at least you know what linux is....

I do alot of gaming as well, which is why I have a dual Boot system. It's actually very simple to set up. Besides, there are also plenty of popluar pc games that have been coded for Linux such as Battlefield 2 and the expansion and Unreal Tournament(virtually all games built on the Unreal Engine are Linux compatable). Linux is a big deal if you are big into tinkering, which leads to hacking.

Dont mess with linux, its nothing but a waste of time. Most of the time it doesnt work anyway.

You can do your hacking just as well, if not better on windows. Stick with windows.

Dont mess with linux, its nothing but a waste of time. Most of the time it doesnt work anyway.

You can do your hacking just as well, if not better on windows. Stick with windows.

Hhhmm. I guess it's just preference. Both OS's have their ups and downs. It is good to use both for different reason's because apps react differently and are sometimes able to see things that the other mught not see. Case in point, watch HackTV episode 1's coverage on wardriving.

Linux can be a lot of fun to use. It is probably a good idea, however, to put it on a spare computer until you get used to using it (which is what matt should have done and then he wouldn't be so angry). Linux will run on pretty much anything, if you have an old computer lying around, or can get a hold of one, throw linux on there. That way, you have your normal computer to google error messages and the problems that you have without having to dual boot each time you have an issue.

Personally, I put linux on my laptop the first time because I had a desktop that I could use to google things and I wanted to format my laptop anyway. I started with SimplyMEPIS and I never looked back. I tried out various distros once I got the hang of it and am in the process of switching all my other computers over to linux. I even got my girlfriend to use it on her home computer.

As for your question about windows programs, yes its true, your windows software won't work. In all honesty, with the exception of games, I have found excellent replacements for everything I needed to do on my laptop. Sometimes there even seems to be more options on the linux side. I'll give you a few examples:

Internet Explorer -> Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror

Photoshop -> The Gimp, Inkscape

Office -> Open Office, KOffice

iTunes -> gtkPod, Amarok, Juk

AIM -> GAIM, AIM (linux binary)

Windows Media Player -> MPlayer, Xine, Totem

mIRC -> XChat, epic4, irssi, bitchx

Notepad -> vi, vim, emacs

I'm probably forgetting a lot of things, but you get the idea. Good luck with your linux adventures, it can be a lot of fun, and you learn a lot.

P.S. If you just want to get your feet wet try out a live cd. SimplyMEPIS, Kanotix, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu all have easy to use live cds to get you started.

I use Linux because it's free, runs on anything, and doesn't restrict options (how many distros are out ther?!). Definitely don't kill Windows off until you are *very* comfortable with Linux though. I started with an old IBM Aptiva I traded a friend for -- upgraded to 300 MHz PII and popped some spare RAM in for less than $30. I started with Mandrake 9.0, since a guy in the Cisco CCNA class had a copy. Mandrake, at least back then, was very easy to get started on.

If you don't have a spare box to throw Linux on, consider setting up a VMware virtual machine under Windows. This is what I did, to test distros out, once I got the basics, and choose something closer than Mandrake to what I wanted. Incidentally, I've discovered (open)SuSE to be the most n00b-friendly (no insult intended or anything -- it's very easy to get running), and Slackware for stripped-down configurability (though you will have to know some about Linux to get it up and going).

As mentioned, except for games, I don't miss Windows software -- I even use the Windows ports of a lot of my Linux software on Windows, because it's open source, and generally works better! I'm currently at university, so I do use my computer heavily, but only use Windows for programs I can't possibly get for Linux (some of the school's personally written apps, for instance). Once running under Linux, you could, of course, run Windows inside VMware for that type of thing -- especially since VMware Server and Player are now free!

Those people that tell you Linux sucks and doesn't work are too stupid to get it to work.

I use linux because it's free, powerful, flexible, and oreinted more for those who actually know how to use a computer. I don't miss windows, EVER. I play most of the games I want to play on linux (cs, et, ut2k, mp2, aa, bunch of others) just fine.

It's also quite nice that the software made for linux (and bsd as well) is made by people who actually know how to code, not just some guy who gets paid $60 an hour. Also, most of the programs are open source (lots of people run TOTALLY open source...a little extreme, but can be done)

Linux has more readily available network tools. Sure there are some ports (to windows) for them, but the linux versions work much better.

I use a XP/Fedora Core 3 dual boot machine. I have to admit sometimes I don't use linux for months... I get slightly frustrated with it. I am a Windows Network admin and I get annoyed when I can't instinctively do something.. but thats just me...

I enjoy playing around with it tho.. but command prompt syntax still ticks me off a bit...

:)

well i also have a lot of p2p software like morpheous for example, and i paid for the program, will that be lost or is that compatible with linux? i have to admit i am very curious about linux and i do alot of c+ programing on my windows so im very curious to see what linux has to offer in those terms, i just dont wanna lose everything i spent money on...

I use Phex. Phex connects to Gnutella networks (like Morpheus). Phex is *free* :D There's also a Linux version of LimeWire, etc.

I'd keep the Windows box around, for things like that, at least to test the waters. If you find you no longer need those specialty programs, and that Linux meets all your needs, *then* you can completely switch. I keep a Windows box at home for games; this box also runs a VNC server, so I can VNC into it from Linux, and run Windows programs remotely. This is an excellent option for things like P2P software, because you can run the Windows box without keyboard or monitor.

WinE works with some programs and not with others...it's shaky, at best. I've gotten it to run several things before, including the Windows version of Unreal Tournamet (there is a Linux version, but I was trying to get the map editor, UnrealEd, running under Linux).

i dont like having to download 50thousand dependencies to get something to work, therefore i use linux.

Linux isn't useless, Its great for servers and I find it a wonderful desktop. What I like probally the most is being able to download anyprogram without have to crack it, which I did in Window's days. But for ever Win XP application, there is an open-source equivalent. But if you need to run a Win XP program such as Macromedia Flash, Just Install WINE and the program.

:ninja: