anthrax_postman

Want to learn to hack

78 posts in this topic

Hasn't this post been made in several places, over a long period of time, if you'd like to learn how to hack, grab a decent book, read, and test your knowledge. Google is also your friend.

[quote name='oddflux' date='Feb 28 2006, 03:04 PM'] Google is also your friend.
[right][snapback]172936[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i look at it as more of a brother figure. maybe even mother. sucking from its fat tit of information.

EDIT: i mispelled tit....stfu Edited by PFI

[quote name='Snippet' date='Feb 24 2006, 07:44 AM'][color=red]C++[/color] :(  take this from another nuub, [color=red]C++ [/color]is evil. Im starting with [color=red]Python[/color] :)

Isn't [color=red]C++[/color] a little advanced for a person without programming skills?
[right][snapback]172356[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
C++ makes a great starting language. Although I would recommend C instead, C++ is just for people who suck at C (but that may just be the elitist in me speaking :P ). I learned C as my first language and if anything I am a better programmer now because of it. Something like python is made to make programming easy, but programs in python run slower, its harder to do a lot of lower level things, and it doesn't give you the level of control that C does. When learning I think you want as much control at your fingertips as possible so that you can play around with everything and get a more complete understanding.

Well, the easier a language (How many commands it has), the less it can do (Farther away from straight assembly).

It all depends on what you plan on doing. I personally think learning a weak language first is better. It allows you to understand what is happening alot quicker and better.

[quote name='Dr. Z2A' date='Mar 5 2006, 01:27 AM'][quote name='Snippet' date='Feb 24 2006, 07:44 AM'][color=red]C++[/color] :(   take this from another nuub, [color=red]C++ [/color]is evil. Im starting with [color=red]Python[/color] :)

Isn't [color=red]C++[/color] a little advanced for a person without programming skills?
[right][snapback]172356[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
C++ makes a great starting language. Although I would recommend C instead, C++ is just for people who suck at C (but that may just be the elitist in me speaking :P ). I learned C as my first language and if anything I am a better programmer now because of it. Something like python is made to make programming easy, but programs in python run slower, its harder to do a lot of lower level things, and it doesn't give you the level of control that C does. When learning I think you want as much control at your fingertips as possible so that you can play around with everything and get a more complete understanding.
[right][snapback]173635[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree im learning c right now and all my other friends are learning other languages and ive noticiced i have a lot more control. I'm probably guna (a word where im from) learn c++ next and then c#.

Well, I think I started with Win95 :P .
Learned how to use a Mouse and Keyboard, then went on with other Win stuff. When Win Millenium got released, I grasped all those LanNET stuff like ip, tcp and http. With Win Millenium I also learned how to use some DOS shit and all that stuff like writing Batch Data.
When I got WinXP, i learned HTML, Js, and MySQl (<-- Which I mostly have forgotten today).
After that i began to recognize, that I'm interrested in Hackin'. So I went on , the Yeary passed by, and well , now I'm some kind of Hacker n00b.
Ps:
I forgot C++ and C, which I'm trying to learn now.
AND Python drives me crazy, I know the basic, but I really don't like it.

HaNoCr
:blowfuse:

[quote name='anthrax_postman' post='172911' date='Feb 28 2006, 01:09 PM']
What is python? What is it used for?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.eve-online.com/"]http://www.eve-online.com/[/url]

They love python for its non-threading goodness

[quote name='chillmaster' post='217455' date='Nov 12 2006, 09:08 AM']
[quote name='anthrax_postman' post='172911' date='Feb 28 2006, 01:09 PM']
What is python? What is it used for?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.eve-online.com/"]http://www.eve-online.com/[/url]

They love python for its non-threading goodness
[/quote]
Wow... first of all I find it kinda cool that one of my first threads got renewed.

[quote name='Snippet' post='172356' date='Feb 24 2006, 04:44 AM']
[color="red"]C++[/color] :( take this from another nuub, [color="red"]C++ [/color]is evil. Im starting with [color="red"]Python[/color] :)

Isn't [color="red"]C++[/color] a little advanced for a person without programming skills?
[/quote]
An update: Snippet you were right, I was immediatly overwhelmed by C++ so I ended up only learning Javascript and CSS.

There was a driver here in Argentina called Fangio.
He was good... very very very good, look him up this is a real story.
The thing is, he was so good, he listened to his engine, and could throw in the shifts without clutch. So i beleive the best way to start (im nothing but a newb myself) is to know your gear so well you can get to 5th without clutching.

i hope that was a real term and a good verb usage for that pedal you hit when your car is not automatic :P

Anyways, i like the break appart put together aspect of hacking. I sit in front of my hardware with everything unplugged, discs formatted, and think "ok, what do i want to do this weekend".
This last month, past weeks actually, i decided to give linux a try. So i installed xubuntu after someone suggested it and since it was gonna run nice with my restricted hardware, i thought why not!
So then i realized i also need windows for some common stuff such as watching movies because as good as the xubuntu is with my hardware, i still havent found a way to play a 2 hour movie without it going at 0.5x speed -_-

Thats what hacking is all about to me, being a fucking nerd who loves to make things work... needless to say, i had to install windows on a 4gb drive, then realize it WOULDNT WORK, then see how the hell i could make the computer load my 3 drives on startup... long story, dont think you want to knwo about it.

But go ahead and know your hardware like it was a piece of your body, and then start thinking how you want to pump up those muscles with some codein and other proteines *snort*

overall, just have fun with the hacking, whatever aspect of it you choose or definition you decide to define.

Question:
Are there in the US really only automatic Cars?
No manual shift?

In germany nearly everybody has a non automatic car :-) .

HaNoCr

[quote name='HaNoCr' post='218654' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:53 PM']
Question:
Are there in the US really only automatic Cars?
No manual shift?

In germany nearly everybody has a non automatic car :-) .

HaNoCr
[/quote]

The US has all types of cars. A lot of people here are big with muscle/sport cars, which usually require shifting.

Anyhow, I started with C. I'm a better man for it to. :P

I take that back, I didn't start with C, I started with C++ but quit that in a week or so ("OOP ain't fo' me"), and learnt C.
(I'm not counting X/HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL, PHP, etc.)

Edit, I forgot 51% of the point :o

C is a good starter language, as it teaches you real programming (unlike python, don't get me wrong Python's good, but not many languages require spacing (which, spacing is good) and don't use {, ), ;, etc.). It also gives you enough control to pretty much do anything (notice the 'pretty much'); making it very useful. Edited by Shok

Is there a certain book or website that ya'll would recommend for learning Python? My friend has Python in a Nutshell Second Edition which he's willing to give me, is this a good book to start learning with? Edited by noquarter

Well for me rather then learing programming right now. I would like to learn how to hack a computer. I started to learn linux by installing FC6 on my laptop. I would really like to get into wifi hacking and security...

Any good tips or url you might suggest to learn security using linux or something towards security.

--Malachai--

If i learn HTML , will it be easyer to understand PHP? or its same?

(becouse i know a little/middle HTML)

[quote name='MetalguyX' post='245412' date='Mar 26 2007, 03:16 AM']If i learn HTML , will it be easyer to understand PHP? or its same?

(becouse i know a little/middle HTML)[/quote]
It'll make things sliiiiiiightly easier to understand.
I'd argue that PHP is much more complex and harder to grasp than HTML.
HTML is about placing objects on a web page; PHP is about coding the objects themselves.

Programming isn't about what is easier or what is harder. It is about using the tool best fit for the job. I use python and VB. Both are multiplatform and high level. HTML, CSS, XHTML, JS, PHP are very useful, AFTER learning a programming [i]language[/i]. If you know how to make a web site, it is good. If you can't do anything other than make a web site, that is bad. Scripting languages, yes, are very powerfull, but aren't if you cant extend the functionality.

IMO.

Alk3

[quote]EDIT by STANKDAWG: NO WAREZ!
2. PIRATED CONTENT / COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL / WAREZ
Do not post or link to pirated software, copyrighted audio files, copyrighted books, and other material to which you do not own redistribution rights. You are allowed to discuss filesharing on the forums and even talk about specific filenames you've seen online, but uploading or linking to such material is not allowed. If you link to a site with free content, then it is your responsibility to ensure that the site is of a reputable nature and not just a distribution point for pirated material. If it appears to the moderating team that your intent in linking to a site is the distribution of pirated content, then you are in violation of this rule.[/quote]

--Blah, if you need ebooks you have to know where to look and most often the answer is IRC, but the choice is yours and yours alone. Sites to find chanels in IRC you can find with searchirc.com or ircspy.com. The information is there but its what you do with it.

As for "legit" ebooks, I suggest you read Linux: Rute users tutorial and exposition. I will edit this post later with links to other good forums, but so far binrev and hak5 are the best :).

Diablo69

do you know where I can find a free guide to learning C? If so, please tell me. I'm a fan of messing around with computers and would like to step it up a notch with C. So if anyone can tell me, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

[quote name='anthrax_postman' post='171042' date='Feb 16 2006, 02:46 PM']Ok being a newbie is hard because you tend to do stupid things and mess up. I hope that writing this isn't one of em...

Ok I'm a newbie and I want to be a good hacker. I don't know where to start. Hacking is such a large field that when you first come into the scene you're overwhelmed with information. So could anyone out there help me out with finding a starting point for hacking? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

you could give this ebook a spin [url="http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/"]http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/[/url]

[quote name='TrippinX' post='171049' date='Feb 16 2006, 03:37 PM']depends... you should read alot.

start out by learning some programming... read alot of shizzle and have fun.

learn about tcp/ip and all that stuff. The more you know the better.

the best thing you can do is hang around the forums and try learning from others. ASK QUESTIONS!

remember hacking is an endless journey.[/quote]
agreed, the best way to learn how to "hack" or "crack" is read. Here are some old and some new tutorials that i found on google:
This is an old one but i like this guys attituded
[url="http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html"]http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html[/url]

This one is old as well but nice description
[url="http://www.robson.org/gary/writing/becomeahacker.html"]http://www.robson.org/gary/writing/becomeahacker.html[/url]

Here is a site much like bin rev not as good though
[url="http://www.43things.com/things/view/123903"]http://www.43things.com/things/view/123903[/url]

[quote name='TrippinX' post='171049' date='Feb 16 2006, 12:37 PM']depends... you should read alot.

start out by learning some programming... read alot of shizzle and have fun.

learn about tcp/ip and all that stuff. The more you know the better.

the best thing you can do is hang around the forums and try learning from others. ASK QUESTIONS!

remember hacking is an endless journey.[/quote]

A hacker isn't even a person that uses a computer. A hacker is one who asks questions, who wonders about something. A real hacker doesn't have to learn about computers. The hacker spirit is that feeling you get when you take something apart and learn about it, then put it back together (working) based on what you learned. Hacking is simply curiosity given a name. It has no defined field.

Learn about what you want. Read books on it, talk to a local guru on it. Join forums about it. Chat about it on IRC.

No one can tell you how to be a hacker. As Mitnick once said (I think), there are people that are born hackers and people that aren't. The people that aren't will never be hackers. You have to have the spirit, no one can tell you how to be one.

I've been studying HTML,VB, and some SQL, but I found REALbasic better and more cross-platform. I'm gonna try C++ or Java next, but I've heard a few people say C is better. What are the pros and cons of both and would an O'Reilly book be a good starting point?

[quote name='scholarwarrior' post='246718' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:35 PM']I've been studying HTML,VB, and some SQL, but I found REALbasic better and more cross-platform. I'm gonna try C++ or Java next, but I've heard a few people say C is better. What are the pros and cons of both and would an O'Reilly book be a good starting point?[/quote]

C and C++ are similar.

Every valid C program is a valid C++ program, however every valid C++ program is not always a valid C program.

C++ is a superset of C. It has better memory management, and is Object Oriented.

C++ is the choice for professional programs right along side ASM.

REALbasic sucks.

Learn C++. You'll benefit from it more.

Why does REALbasic suck? For what it is it seems every bit as good as VisualBASIC and so far I like it better. Any more input on C vs. C++? How about Java? I should point out right off the bat that I have no interest in .NET programming. I'm just looking for a good cross-platform language to start with that works well. I hear great things about C, C++ and Java for starting.

[quote name='scholarwarrior' post='247030' date='Mar 30 2007, 07:53 PM']Why does REALbasic suck? For what it is it seems every bit as good as VisualBASIC and so far I like it better. Any more input on C vs. C++? How about Java? I should point out right off the bat that I have no interest in .NET programming. I'm just looking for a good cross-platform language to start with that works well. I hear great things about C, C++ and Java for starting.[/quote]

VB isn't really that great either. If you choose C you basically choose a outdated but time-hardened language. If you choose C++ you choose a newcomer so to speak, but it's far more powerful. As it is a superset of C. If your looking into cross platform already don't get your hopes up. It takes time. There are platform specific functions and things that you can only call on a windows box, or a linux box. C and C++ really aren't starter languages. Nor is Java. It greatly helps to have a understanding and the mentality of a programmer before starting those. If you have that go ahead.

Cross platform wise I recommend Python. However, keep in mind your code is not natively compiled to a .EXE so you will need a obfuscater or a EXE maker. The EXE maker is a bad choice since EXEs generated from scripts are generally alot more costly memory wise.

My mentality is this: You should never have to pay for a programming language's use. That's why I grew apart from VB. VB requires a special compiler and software to code. Same with delphi I believe. C++ doesn't. However you can optionally buy better software to increase your productivity. BASIC you have to pay for.

Essentially the whole reason BASIC is bad is because it really can't do anything anymore. Back in the day it could do alot. But now there are bigger better languages like C++ that basically clean the floor with BASIC of any flavor. BASIC also teaches poor coding practices. However python on the other hand is strongly typed and teaches you good coding practices and organization. Whatever you do, don't go back to BASIC. It's bad for you, and bad for your programs.