PFI

Phone tricks?

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know a site or forum for phone tricks like the old *69 built in caller id or the *67 anonymus trick? i just want to know if there's anymore tricks out there like these.

In my area all these options are listed in the front of the phone book. The first few pages of the phone book are more interesting than you might imagine.

Customer Originated Trace (*57)

Provides the recipient of an obscene, harassing, or threatening call the ability to request an auto-trace of the last call received.

How does this work? Not (just) the tech side, but what happens when you use this? It hardly gives you the name of the caller and that, but what does it do?

Provides the recipient of an obscene, harassing, or threatening call the ability to request an auto-trace of the last call received.

How does this work? Not (just) the tech side, but what happens when you use this? It hardly gives you the name of the caller and that, but what does it do?

It charges you a fee.

Once I started scanning vertical service codes but stopped when it got to the one that said something to the effect of, we're investigating the last call made to your number.

To use some of the service codes, doesn't one have to be paying for the service? I tried *57 and many others but only got a bust signal. Out of the few codes I did try only *67, *66, and *69 worked successfully.

SUB_SONIX, often, yeah, you have to be subscribed to have the feature.

does anyone know how many of these features regular payphones have?

does anyone know how many of these features regular payphones have?

I have played with some COCOTS that have *67. Some pay phones have there own star codes for certain things like collect calls and etc. Although I have never found a pay phone that allowed *69 :P

I've never found any CO-controlled single-slots that have this feature. COCOTs, yeah, depending on the programming. Elcotel 9250C's in my area have *67.

if you trace (*57) the same number three times there is a report made to local law enforcement with the information that was collected by the telco. The law enforcement agency of choice then has the option to take care of it how they see fit and you have the opportunity to press charges if there was enough information provided to said law enforcement agents. Contrary to popular beliefe the telco does not release the information to the customer who initated the trace.

There is a per-use fee for this services that varies per telco. I would contact your telco directly to inquire on the cost for this service and any information they can provide about their reporting policies.

if you trace (*57) the same number three times there is a report made to local law enforcement with the information that was collected by the telco. The law enforcement agency of choice then has the option to take care of it how they see fit and you have the opportunity to press charges if there was enough information provided to said law enforcement agents. Contrary to popular beliefe the telco does not release the information to the customer who initated the trace.

There is a per-use fee for this services that varies per telco. I would contact your telco directly to inquire on the cost for this service and any information they can provide about their reporting policies.

Yeah, I was going to post about *57, my family had to use it once because we kept getting weird phone calls. As soon as the phone company told us about *57, we only got one other call, so we couldn't get a trace as 3 *57s are required. If I remember correctly there was no fee for *57 from my telco, Northern NJ Verizon.