Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt

Linux for a kid

26 posts in this topic

My brother wants linux on his computer so he can dual boot, but he can't help himself with any of that.

I was going to put Linspire on there for him but from what Ive read, it cost money. Linspire seemed to be the prettiest and easiest to use for a kid that wont have a clue how to configure anything on his own.

What's my next best bet? I noticed Linspire is based on Debian but I havent ever used that/dont know _anything_ about it at all.

He's using a Dell 4600.

... i semi tought my sister to use freebsd, on fluxbox...

well, not semi, but she can use ls and stuff...

I wish my siblings took any interest in computers. One sister is 5 years old, so there may be some hope there. The other is 12 and asked me what an mp3 is today and at that point I just said "you are fucking retarded, there is no hope for you". Much shame indeed, it disappoints the hell out of me lol.

I wish my siblings took any interest in computers.  One sister is 5 years old, so there may be some hope there.  The other is 12 and asked me what an mp3 is today and at that point I just said "you are fucking retarded, there is no hope for you".  Much shame indeed, it disappoints the hell out of me lol.

Now lets not be harsh. Maybe if you took time to teach her, she might be interested.

I wish my siblings took any interest in computers.  One sister is 5 years old, so there may be some hope there.  The other is 12 and asked me what an mp3 is today and at that point I just said "you are fucking retarded, there is no hope for you".  Much shame indeed, it disappoints the hell out of me lol.

That is not exactly true. Some people are late bloomers. When I was thirteen (I am ~19.5 now), I heard that it was illegal to burn CDs, and I thought, 'why is it illegal to set fire to a CD?'

Edited by Elzair

I gave my little brother (17) my old laptop, which is running Gentoo and it only took him about 2 months for him to get used to the change from Windows, he only uses it for watching DVDs and going on the net but at least he has made the change.

I just set my brother (he's 17, but totally computer illiterate... he makes old people look skilled) up on Ubuntu. He found it pretty easy to say the least... he only uses it for college work (word processing mainly), and you know how easy it is to navigate round GNOME... the 'Apllications' menu helps :D

the 'Apllications' menu helps  :D

I hope you made the typo and not the GNOME team. You should spell the word 'application' with two p's and only one 'l.'

Edit: Fixed.

Edited by Elzair

the 'Apllications' menu helps  :D

I hope your are made the typo and not the GNOME team. You should spell the word 'application' with two p's and only one 'l.'

For someone so picky about someone else's spelling your grammar blows :P

That is not exactly true. Some people are late bloomers. When I was thirteen (I am ~19.5 now), I heard that it was illegal to burn CDs, and I thought, 'why is it illegal to set fire to a CD?'

19.5??

just a few weeks ago Moms called me again to fix her computer (M$)

I finally said "This is it!" and promptly got her on Kubuntu. The only thing I had to really teach was was that

C:\ is now /

A:\ is now /media/floppy

and cdrom is now /media/dvd

KDE 3.5

WINE + IE... for those IE only funky sites.

OpenOffice 2.org

Firefox

HP psc1210 all in one printer using cups hplip driver with hp-tools to manage it......(HP did a nice job here for linux)

pretty much all she needs without all the constant maintenance

just a few weeks ago Moms called me again to fix her computer (M$)

I finally said "This is it!" and promptly got her on Kubuntu. The only thing I had to really teach was was that

C:\ is now /

A:\ is now /media/floppy

and cdrom is now /media/dvd

KDE 3.5

WINE + IE... for those IE only funky sites.

OpenOffice 2.org

Firefox

HP psc1210 all in one printer using cups hplip driver with hp-tools to manage it......(HP did a nice job here for linux)

pretty much all she needs without all the constant maintenance

you understand she'll be calling you to fix her comp a whole lot more from now on until she finally gets used to the thing right? Which, from my experience with moms, is going to take anywhere from a long time to never.

First thing first, get him on DSL, Damn Small Linux. Don't install it till he's a bit used to it (Very small curve).

Or if you want Linspire, last time I checked, downloading the version that doesnt allow/come with access to the linspire library of add ons is free. I know I downloaded it with some type of coupon or something from the site. Then I erased the iso after a while cause it didnt run right on my pc at the time.

http://hardforum.com/printthread.php?t=939135 for a code and instructions to dl linspire.

Ohh, and about the sibilings, the sister my age is too far gone for linux. Good thing I have 3 brothers and sisters under 4 to brainw... err mold :D

I remember finding a desktop enviroment that was made just for children. It looks really nice and simple, but I can't seem to find it agian.

You should check this article out, it'll help you decide a distro for children

Edited by MCP

MCP code is invaild also, I m gonna look some up, ok LycorisWelcome that code onyl works between 1 am and 4pm EST it seems

Edited by kitche

MCP code is invaild also, I m gonna look some up, ok LycorisWelcome that code onyl works between 1 am and 4pm EST it seems

Sorry, it worked for me. Just get a torrent.

Edited by MCP

nah I found out some of the codes work but the one I was trying to use only worked during certain times

nah I found out some of the codes work but the one I was trying to use only worked during certain times

OK

I turned 13 on Dec. 24th and my sister turned 5 on Dec. 30th. I have 3 boxes, two running Gentoo and one FreeBSD. My sister has a computer, it's running Ubuntu and she can use it just fine. Maybe you should just use something like Debian or Slackware or something. If something goes wrong on my sisters computer, then I do generally have to fix it, but she can open apps from the terminal and play games and type with simple text editors and stuff (All of the stuff a 5 year old would want to do). I say just get something like Debian.

Edited by Yawgmoth7|Yawgie

I turned 13 on Dec. 24th and my sister turned 5 on Dec. 30th. I have 3 boxes, two running Gentoo and one FreeBSD. My sister has a computer, it's running Ubuntu and she can use it just fine. Maybe you should just use something like Debian or Slackware or something. If something goes wrong on my sisters computer, then I do generally have to fix it, but she can open apps from the terminal and play games and type with simple text editors and stuff (All of the stuff a 5 year old would want to do). I say just get something like Debian.

Your 5 year old sister has a computer? lmao, what would a 5 year old need a comp for?

Oh and I just got my 12 year old sister on Slackware. I finally got her to take the old comp I was trying to give her and she seems to be liking it. yay leetness. She actually seems to be pretty interested now, I'm teaching her about crap that I would never have expected her to ever care about, which is fuckin amazing :P