fragtastic06

BitTorrent Anonymity

13 posts in this topic

I currently use Azureus for bittorrent downloading and I was wondering about how to stay somewhat anonymous/hidden from other users in the same torrent download... I know that I can't be COMPLETELY anonymous but is there anything I can do? I've noticed that I can see other people's IP addresses when they are downloading from the same torrent so is there any way I could hide mine?

fragtastic06

by proxying it at a third-party location.. with any number of apps..

but the speed is not gonna be as good and it's just a waste of a good network :unsure:

if you are gonna pirate use any number of free wifi spots around, and/or just suck it up and either pirate away or don't :huh:

there are much better ways to get your fix of music,movies,games,etc.. be it a mall or some lesser known network with far higher speeds and no ratios or the likes :roll:

do not use proxys, pfft..

decentralized tracker type system. its a anonymouseny substanec.

Be careful when talking about pirating on a forums... expecially a large forums like this.

The FBI and Secret Service monitor public forums just to let you know.

Isn't that right Mr. Smith?

Be careful when talking about pirating on a forums... expecially a large forums like this.

The FBI and Secret Service monitor public forums just to let you know.

Isn't that right Mr. Smith?

there are much better ways to get your fix of music,movies,games,etc.. be it a mall..

who's promoting piracy here? :P:D

If you have the latest version of Azureus and you want complete anonimity, use i think its called the TOR network. It's completely random and totally anonymous.

Its a bit slower then using the standard peer to peer networks, but if you want to remain anonymous then use that with a plugin called "safe peer". This stops bad trackers from connecting your machine and creates a log of all of them....

DO NOT use TOR for BitTorrent traffic, the TOR network cannot handle it. Use a purpose built network for this like I2P. Azureus has had support for this since last year.

Not sure how much it helps but azureus and utorrent allow you to encrypt your traffic packets. Down side is not everyone has encryption enabled so it would really limit your options. Most of the TLMP traffic I see does not have encyption enabled. So I'm not sure how much that helps.

If anyone is at all interested in how to setup azerues (however u spell it) to use the TOR or Onion network. I have included a link below which might be able to help people.

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Jun-2005/msg00075.html

TOR+BitTorrent=bad! Didn't you read the TOR docs about how the network isn't built for this kind of stuff?

Use PeerGuardian2 its a nice proxy that blocks all those annoying Government and other IPs from hitting your computer. Its good whether you priate or not :P

As tehbiz has said twice now: Please don't use TOR for routing your bittorrent traffic.

To quote the Azureus site:

Please *DO NOT* use Tor for routing peer-to-peer data traffic, it can not handle the bandwidth. They have indicated that they will make efforts to ban such usage if it continues, which will likely affect both legitimate and unwanted use!

Unfortunately I can't track down the location where they've (TOR) publicly asked people not to do this but if you check the portion of the TOR HowTo devoted to Bittorrent you can see that it has significantly changed to only include the tracker information. If I can find a more obvious statement I'll post it back here.

The reason for this is simple: the people who provide bandwidth to the TOR network do so on a voluntary basis and if you suddenly jack their usage up by multiple gigabytes they will take the service away (as they have every right to do).