Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firewall

Modded Xbox

20 posts in this topic

So I decided to do something with my old, broken ps2 and my xbox which is working but I haven't played in ages.

I'm currently working on fixing the ps2 which is a fun exercise in electronics, the things busted beyond belief, the memorycard/controller cable is ripped, the fan lead is snapped, the power wasn't working till i took it apart and put it back again and to top it off the disc drive doesn't work so well. Thats gonna be my first little project to keep me occupied over the mid-term.

The second project is modding out the xbox which will start once my chip arrives in the mail. Any ideas what can be done with a modded xbox besides backing up games/movies?, and what can be done with a ps2, if anything.

You can find python scripts for xbox media center that will let you browse things like launch.com, comedycentral.com, and some others. You can just watch the videos, no ads or anythings.

Cool, sounds good. I knew there'd be loads of shit to do with this. Now i just have to wait till halfway through next week to get my spare parts for the ps2 and my xbox mod chip.

i would also check out thebroken.org they have an episode that goes over ps2 xbox and gamecube mods

Oh man I saw that. It was pretty much an exact copy of the tutorial you get with the mod chips, they didnt even use a solder one, it was just plug in and thats it.

I remember them saying their gonna mod the three consoles but I only remember them doing the xbox and maybe the ps2.

I've had a modded Xbox for about a year and the first thing I'd reccomend getting the biggest hdd you can aford, you won't regret it.

I'd give Xbox Linux a try too.

Also if you have an older model box and are confident with SMD soldering you can add more ram and convert it to a dev-box.

For the PS2 I'd just get a new one. I know from experenice that the when the drive breaks its near impossible to keep fixed in most cases.

I'm not too pushed on actually having the ps2 working. Its more just something to do electronic wise for fun.

The xbox linux thing I was actually looking into, you can never have too many machines running linux imo

You know you can "soft mod" an xbox now adays right?

That's right, no need to solider anything, just need a copy of one of the three expoitable games (I have mech asualt) as well as a specially crafted saved game. Then you can use the AID (Auto Installer Deluxe) to set up things such as a new dashboard (I like EvoX) and you get a million tools all in one. Xbox modding for noobs :)

However the whole bigger hd as a softmod is kinda a bitch. The only way I was able to do it was to "make" the hard drive an xbox on using my computer and a version of linux by the name of HDInstaller (I believe).

Either way, good luck!

-Dr^ZigMan

I still need to mod my xbox. I got it for free from a friend who took out the hard drive, so the only way to get it running is get a mod chip. I've been looking at a few, but I was wondering which one you went with?

Once you mod the xbox, install xbox media center. You will then be able to do many things that the 360 can do interms of streaming media to it. I modded mine about 2 years ago and its still the main component of my entertainment center.

I still need to mod my xbox. I got it for free from a friend who took out the hard drive, so the only way to get it running is get a mod chip. I've been looking at a few, but I was wondering which one you went with?

You don't need a modchip... any hard drive you can turn into an xbox hd with "HD Installer Deluxe" it's a linux live cd with special programs and tools.

-Dr^ZigMan

You don't need a modchip... any hard drive you can turn into an xbox hd with "HD Installer Deluxe" it's a linux live cd with special programs and tools.

I knew that you could do that, but didnt know the name. Now I do. I'll check it out.

or you can get a softmod save

Not in my case, in order to use that, you have to have the Microsoft dashboard on the hard drive. I dont.

so then your xbox is modded already? Oh also modded save it doesn't matter I seen it done many tiems without the dashboard

Edited by kitche

Oh also modded save it doesn't matter I seen it done many tiems without the dashboard

Really? That is news to me.

so then your xbox is modded already?

Mine isn't. Its sitting here with no hard drive in it.

so then your xbox is modded already?

Mine isn't. Its sitting here with no hard drive in it.

All XBoxes have a TSOP that "unlocks" the hard drive (during the flubber animation when it powers up). It uses the ATA-Password spec. I've never had any success recovering a hard drive/breaking the password so if you loose the original hard drive, you're boned. It's keyed to match the hard drive with the built-in password.

Really it's pretty simple to add a hard drive. I use the cable swap technique hooked into a PC with the linux xbox tools image and copy the bits to the new drive. Then of course you relock the drive and install the new one into the XBOX. Quite simple really.

There is a lot you can do with an XBOX. Let's not forget that the 4 controller ports are also USB (just different connectors) so you could turn it into a wardriving machine and still work into your "pimped" ride playing xbox or DVD's in the car.

-jf

All XBoxes have a TSOP that "unlocks" the hard drive (during the flubber animation when it powers up). It uses the ATA-Password spec. I've never had any success recovering a hard drive/breaking the password so if you loose the original hard drive, you're boned. It's keyed to match the hard drive with the built-in password.

Ok, I didnt know that. I have heard something like that a while back .. but didnt remember what it was. So I'm going to have to follow your directions to get a hard drive working in my xbox then?

Really it's pretty simple to add a hard drive. I use the cable swap technique hooked into a PC with the linux xbox tools image and copy the bits to the new drive. Then of course you relock the drive and install the new one into the XBOX. Quite simple really.

Ok, I didnt know that. I have heard something like that a while back .. but didnt remember what it was. So I'm going to have to follow your directions to get a hard drive working in my xbox then?

If you have a flashable modchip with *ahem* *cough* modded firmware then there's no need to fanny about with unlocking and locking HDDs.

I can place a unformatted (or formatted in ntfs etc) drive into my xbox (xecuter2 modchip and firmware), format with evox, lock with configmagic (so i can boot with the original MS bios and you'd need this if you do xbox live) and then get the MS dashboard alongside evox installed.

I don't use my xbox for games anymore - runs quite well w/ xebian doing asterisk, apache, qmail, dovecot, mrtg, etc. I suppose if you added a few supported USB ethernet adaptors you could get a router out of it.

You do NOT (and this was discussed in the IRC channel a couple of days ago) need a usb keyboard / mouse to run xebian, install and operation can be done via SSH. You can run X w/ kbd and mouse and get an okayish pc out of it.

I managed to unlock my original WDC 8gb drive ages ago but I can't remember how to do it. I remember using a DOS program but don't remember how to get the password.

I suppose with a modchip w/ modded firmware, an evox boot cd with configmagic would unlock the drive in seconds.