Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Da Ch33z

USB/FireWire Question

16 posts in this topic

USB vs. FireWire

I was wondering which one is more desirable for different types of networking. In other words, which works better for ad-hoc networks, or routers. I have a small home network, and my dad wants to set up this elaborate deal with lots of extra access points and wireless routers for laptop access. Is this really necessary for a tiny home network?

I dunno.

Where is your dad setting this network up? If it is at home, multiple access points would be overkill.

Where is your dad setting this network up?  If it is at home, multiple access points would be overkill.

Yes, it is at home, and no, I don't understand why... :blink:

Maybe he has something special planned.

EDIT: I asked him why, and he didn't really have an answer. It's probably one of those "because I can" things.

Edited by Da Ch33z

One router should suffice for a SOHO, two if your house is big and has many walls, three... WTFH!

My question for you is why USB or FireWire is even involved in setting up your network. There's Ethernet for networking, and any computer worth its salt comes with an Ethernet adapter these days. For wireless, there's 802.11 a/b/g, and there are CardBus and PCI cards for that.

My question for you is why USB or FireWire is even involved in setting up your network.  There's Ethernet for networking, and any computer worth its salt comes with an Ethernet adapter these days.  For wireless, there's 802.11 a/b/g, and there are CardBus and PCI cards for that.

Firewire is more then useful. Hell, being able to boot my laptop as an external laptop while on a g5 with dvd burner is a god send.

My question for you is why USB or FireWire is even involved in setting up your network.  There's Ethernet for networking, and any computer worth its salt comes with an Ethernet adapter these days.  For wireless, there's 802.11 a/b/g, and there are CardBus and PCI cards for that.

Firewire is more then useful. Hell, being able to boot my laptop as an external laptop while on a g5 with dvd burner is a god send.

USB2.0 is faster than firewire, thats why apple dropped all firewire crap.

USB2.0 is faster than firewire, thats why apple dropped all firewire crap.

Uhh, what? No. While usb 2.0 is theoretically faster then firewire (480mbps vs 400 mbps), it does not beat it in most usuall performance. Add to this that this is usb 2.0 compared to firewire 400. Apple has adopted firewire 800 (800 mbps) and has not dropped firewire support. Every current mac has atleast 1 firewire 400 port, and the g5 powermac and g4 powerbook have a firewire 800 port as well as two firewire 400 ports.

In other words, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, thank you. :P

okay, lemme clarify a lil bit foolz.

mac is planning on dropping firewire, theyve already started getting rid of it on ipods (by not shipping cables MOTHERFUCKERS(sorry i watched pulp fiction))

and from my personal experience, usb2.0 is faster, but you know, it differs.

anyways, why dont they make firewire external hdd's then mister smarty pants?

and from my personal experience, usb2.0 is faster, but you know, it differs.

anyways, why dont they make firewire external hdd's then mister smarty pants?

because most desktops do not / did not have onboard firewire so everybody bitches about getting firewire-pci adapters to run their ipod at a faster and more stable speed :/

all the top video capture devices all have firewire to export your DV out though, you most be aware of this :P

and YES you CAN get external firewire drives, and firewire-usb combo drives:

Maxtor 500GB One Touch II Firewire + USB External HDD

;)

i have however never seen a firewire800 drive though, you have me there :P

Edited by jabzor

LOOK. IM SORRY FOR BEING WRONG. LEAVE ME ALONE!!1111111111

/me rolls 20d3291 for emo modifier.

:cry: -_-

I have a hard drive adaptor that allows you to attach a regular IDE harddrive via firewire800. Its made by a company called wiebetech.

I have a hard drive adaptor that allows you to attach a regular IDE harddrive via firewire800. Its made by a company called wiebetech.

cool site :)

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboDock.php <- what you talkin boot? :P

and adapters for it http://www.wiebetech.com/products/adapters.php

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboGB.php <- also looks pretty promising

now you just have to find mobo's with onboard (and powered?) 800 :P

LOOK. IM SORRY FOR BEING WRONG. LEAVE ME ALONE!!1111111111

/me rolls 20d3291 for emo modifier.

And I roll 1d20 for a fortitude save. I critically succeed!

(Sorry, that was gay...)

mac is planning on dropping firewire, theyve already started getting rid of it on ipods (by not shipping cables)

First off "Mac" is not a company; I think you meant "Apple Computer, Inc."

Second, the reason for dropping firewire support on the ipods is multifold:

- When the iPod was originally introduced, USB 1.1 was the norm and USB 2.0 was not widespread at all (I don't think the standard was finalized at that point).

- The firewire chipset in the ipod is larger and more complicated than the USB chipset

- There is only a finite amount of space on the circuit board

- In a quest to miniaturize the ipod even more (nano) and cram more features into the existing form factor (video iPod) something had to go

- Since USB 2.0 is widespread now, it's safe to drop firewire (and the vast majority of iPod users used USB before the switch anyway)