thunderman

Mac Hacking Magazine

18 posts in this topic

I know there are a lot of hackers out there using Mac OS X. I'm going to throw an idea out into the ring for all of them: a hacker magazine for Mac hackers. Seeing as Mac OS X is Unix-based, there has to be a lot of Unix hackers using Macs now. I would love to help make this a reality, but I want to know if there are enough Mac hackers to keep content coming in. What do ya think?

Sounds interesting, I am not a expierenced mac user my self, but I did just obtain two old macs from a relative. One is a Macintosh SE/30 with a external hard drive and one Macintosh Classic. I havn't searched yet for old mac reading material but I would definately like to put these old systems to use.

Mac SE/30s are t3h best. Seriously.

Mine now gives the "chimes of doom". :cry: I'm so looking for one at the next MIT flea.

IIRC you can put OpenBSD on it, but I kept system 7 on it. I felt oldskool running Netscape 2.02.

I'm a total Mac junkie (everything from '84 to present), so if you want any info (or parts!) just ask.

Got so much to add to this thread, but I'm too busy at the moment. Will edit tomorrow.

I knew a guy I lost touch with named Anarchyst_blu that was very into coding and Mac hacking. He had a zine called iglitch, but i dont now how long it lasted, or where it can be found. It was much like this idea IIRC. Maybe he will see this. :)

Edited by RightCoast

Are you thinking of making this zine about hacking on mac hardware (like a PPC running Gentoo would be included) or about hacking on Mac OS (like the new x86 mac comps would be included) or both or what?

Actually, both would be great. Anything to do with hacking as it applies to Macs, whether it is hacking the Mac software or hardware, or doing general hacking using the Macintosh platform. Sometimes I think Mac users are afraid to say they use the Mac for their hacking projects and adventures. Sites like MacHacking.net and Freaky's site are great, but it would be really cool to have a magazine dedicated to all things Macintosh with regards to hacking. Blacklisted 4ll, 2600, Binrev, and the like do have some Mac articles here and there, but our own magazine might rally the troops, so to speak. Yes, no?

I've been playing with some old macs for a few months now.

-LC 475 running system 7 (shitty 68LC040 won't let me run any *nix)

-PowerBook 540 running system 7 (also 68LC040)

-PowerMac 6500/250 running system 9.1, possible BSD test box

-PowerMac G3 AIO running OS 9.2.2, OS 10.1, and Gentoo

My school throws out tons of macs (they're switching to WinXP PCs :cry: :angry: :voteno: :cuss: ), so I'll probably be getting more. A zine for old macs would be awesome, especially if it covered A/UX :ninja::ninja: .

I've been playing with some old macs for a few months now.

-PowerMac 6500/250 running system 9.1, possible BSD test box

-PowerMac G3 AIO running OS 9.2.2, OS 10.1, and Gentoo

My school throws out tons of macs (they're switching to WinXP PCs  :cry:  :angry:  :voteno:  :cuss: ), so I'll probably be getting more.  A zine for old macs would be awesome, especially if it covered A/UX    :ninja:  :ninja: .

Creepy. Your mac list mirrors mine slightly.

LC 580, Performa 550, Powerbook 170 (Black and White :D) Powermac 6500/275 (Runs 8.6 better then 9.2, can run yellowdog) and my dad has the g3 desktop version.

Oh, and my ibook g4.

Personally, though, having a magazine devoted to mac hardware hacking will soon be redundent, due to the pc hardware. Unless you mean getting rid of the tcs chip.

Edited by chaostic

Jeez, so much cool stuff that can be done with Macs... I just love hacking with and on them. I especially have a soft spot for the old ones, since that's what I grew up on.

The school I went to was (and is) all Mac, and was run by an admin that halfway tried to do things the right way, so lots of learning was done there (I was hacking BDW Control and FoolProof to play with the 'extra' apps as far back as fourth grade). My little town was also home to the prepress division of a then-huge catalog retailer back in my school days, and I had a connection within the company that would let me in to see and play with all the waaay high-end stuff they had there every once in a while. They could afford the kinds of stuff you only read about (at best) back in the early and mid 90's, and I got to look and touch and generally dig around in it, which seemed pretty l33t back then. Plus I inherited a nice chunk of that stuff when they closed down about five years back, thus pushing my Mac addiction even further :)

I've got too many Macs to count - from the SE/30 that I use for telnetting and as an alarm clock to the Quadra 700 on one of my desks at work (with 20" Radius display and Photoshop 3.0 :P), the 8600/300av that I'm using right now to the 12" 867 AlBook across the desk, and even the weird stuff like a 5400 with a G3 card, 100meg Ethernet board, and OS X.2.8 that I use as an Apache server. Plus PowerBooks and parts out the wazoo, and the rest of the sea of beige (and fruit-colored) machines that I wade through every day.

If anybody ever needs info for a Mac hacking mag, let me know. I've got a buttload of links that I could probably recite from my internal bookmarks if anyone should have a use for them. I could probably also write up a lot of neat how-tos and so forth if I took the time to do it.

Yeah, the lack of FPU really sucks for *NIX purposes. A pet project of mine before a con back in '02 was to get A/UX running on a Duo 280c I had laying around, but despite my best attempts to trick it with 'soft FPU' type garbage it never happened. Would have been really sweet to have it as a usable conversation piece, but instead it would end up running 7.6.1 and being given away to a buddy of mine shortly thereafter (a decision I have regretted at times...).

I have been running x86 for a while on my dell, dont have an actual mac  :(

Which begs the question... got the images still? I've kinda wanted to play with the beta of x86, but never took the time to find a download during the OMG SKR1PT K1DD13Z HAX0R1NG 0SX 0NT0 D3LLZ craze.

If anybody ever needs info for a Mac hacking mag, let me know. I've got a buttload of links that I could probably recite from my internal bookmarks if anyone should have a use for them. I could probably also write up a lot of neat how-tos and so forth if I took the time to do it.

Why not just share them anyway :D

I too own a mac and would like to both contribute, and read a mac oriented hacking mag.

I would be interested in such a magazine. I have three Macs two old G3 Power Macs (OS 8 and OS 9) and a G4 iBook running OS X Tiger. I'm interested in doing stuff with Linux on the Mac, so hell I might could even contribute to the magazine as well.

I would LOVE a mac hack magazine, I just started using a mac a couple of years ago and haven't really gotten into any of the magazines for macs just because they're all your typical consumer magazine.

I was assuming we were talking about a good ol' ASCII-based mag, but if enough people really want a "magazine" I would be willing to volunteer my mad Photoshopping and Quark-ing (is that even a word?) skillz.