Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
diverter

D-Link Air Plus G

17 posts in this topic

I've decided to buy a battery and wifi card for my laptop, so that I can take a crack at wardriving. A friend of mine recommended this...

D-Link Air Plus G

Any thoughts on whether this would be good or not? From reading up on the subject, I know many suggest a card with an attenna jack. This card does not and I'm not really sure how you determine what the range of a given card is anyways. If anyone has any specific recommendations on a particular card to get, I'm all ears. Recommendations on any good articles related to this subject would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by diverter

I've got an Orinoco Gold classic card. Works great. I'm looking at getting an Senao card cause they have like 300mW+ sensitivity, whereas my Orinoco has iirc 32mW

I've got an Orinoco Gold classic card. Works great. I'm looking at getting an Senao card cause they have like 300mW+ sensitivity, whereas my Orinoco has iirc 32mW

yeah i was going to get the senao 2511+ but i ended up getting the orinoco just because it was being sold near by..but its pretty nice

Based on the recommendations posted, this is what I've come up with...

Senao

Orinocco Classic Gold

Are these the ones you guys were talking about? I guess the problem is I really don't know how to judge wireless cards. How can I tell if these are better than the initial one I posted? Or for that matter, which of these two is better? I'd appreciate any general tips you guys have on picking a good wireless device.

yes but, the senao 2511+ has no internal antenna, so if you got that you would have to carry an antenna around with you everywhere. the orinoco has an antenna and a connection for an antenna.... just a little info..

Good call... didn't see that. I have no desire to have to always walk around with an external antenna. As for the Orinoco though, how much range (distance wise) do you gain when you go from using the internal antenna to the external one? I don't need precise numbers, but a ballpark figure would be helpful. From my research today I know that wireless adapters are at a disadvantage from the get go because of their design. Apparently sending signals up and down (because of the way the card sits in the machine) isn't the best for long distance commo.

yes but, the senao 2511+ has no internal antenna, so if you got that you would have to carry an antenna around with you everywhere.  the orinoco has an antenna and a connection for an antenna.... just a little info..

i use a Cisco AIR-LMC350. yes, before they start saying it, it has no internal antenna, this card is designed to be used in Airo APs and held on pci carrier cards. but you can get a small rubber duckie for it. i have a rubber duckie for mine, has a mmcx connector at one end, and a antenna sticking right off of that, its about a inch and a half long.

the reason i LOVE this card is it auto scans all channels, do you dont have to jump it with software. also, it uses 2 mmcx antennas. and if you can get your hands on the testing firmware, and yes it is out there, this card will output 150mw to 200mw depending on the revision of the board inside. seems cisco built the card to put more power out, then capped it with the firmware.

how much range (distance wise) do you gain when you go from using the internal antenna to the external one?

of course depending on the antenna, a fuck load.

I'm thinking I'm going to get this...

Linksys WUSB54GP

While I got a feeling I'm going to have to be uber careful with that antenna, I've heard good stuff about the range. Also it's pretty small. Anyone familiar with it?

What card you get will depend on the OS your using and the app's you intend to use as much as anything else.

Not much point in getting a card to find that it's not got great support in , say FreeBSD or whatever.

Further your intended apps will dictate to an extent on what card you wan't to get.

If you get into wardriving, you will end up with lot's of cards :-)

I got the Senao, a Cisco, an Oronico, and a D-Link.

The Senao come's in two version's one with builtin antenna and one without.

As mentioned above the one without a builtin antenna does need an external one, but a very small rubber duck does the job. The Senao has a Prisim 2.5 chipset ( you can get a cheaper Prism 3 chipset Senao card , but forget it, no use!) , and will support most distro's and most apps.

The Cisco is a good card for reason's mentioned above, both the Cisco and Senao use the same MMX connector which is handy.

The Orinoco is good, but be carefull which one you get, some of the newer one's don't really have good support. The Orinoco use's a different connector for the antenna, so you can't interchange antenna's without getting different pig tail's.

I would go for the Senao and a rubber duck, and an omnidirectional antenna as a really good start for wardriving, it will cover most distro's and apps, without much patching, it's ( because of the Prism 2.5 chipset) pretty much plug and play :-)

Then when fund's permit a Yagi antenna, if your lucky, you can "wardrive" from your own room, with that kit :-)

A very good book on the subject is Wi-FOO, it's well worth the money, a must buy if your really into wardriving.

EDIT: I just had a quick look at that Linksys, I would suspect it's pretty useless for wardriving, of any serious nature.

Have fun :-)

Edited by Stampie

EDIT: I just had a quick look at that Linksys, I would suspect it's pretty useless for wardriving, of any serious nature.

Have fun :-)

Yep your right about that Linksys... after some more looking into it I realized it probably wouldn't work with that LiveCD that has all the linux security apps on it (Not sure of the spelling... Knoppix STD?). Futhermore, I think I'd have problems with it using Netstumbler too. I think it's looking like the DWL-G650 will be the choice. Seems a lot of people seem to use that and the price is right. I'll keep that in mind about getting additional cards. Seeing as I don't have a card at the moment (nor ever dealt with wireless), I guess opting for something basic is the best step at this time. When funds permit, I'll look into getting some bad ass card with antenna set up. Guess I'm just looking for taste of the wireless stuff for the time being. Again, thank you everyone for the comments. This thread has really helped me get a look at a variety of quality cards.

Not much point in getting a card to find that it's not got great support in , say FreeBSD or whatever.

I had just figured he is using Windows. In which case drivers are not a problem, and if he would ever use netstumbler, it would more than likely recognize his card.

I had just figured he is using Windows. In which case drivers are not a problem, and if he would ever use netstumbler, it would more than likely recognize his card.

For sure pretty much any card will do with Window's.

But there is nothing worse than getting something that , in six month's time don't do what you then want to do, if you get me :-)

While the D-Link is a good card, you will find that your restricted in what you can do with it, should you delve deeper into wardriving.

Regardless, whatever card you get, have fun :-)

DWL-G650 with ther atheros chipset is what you want if you going to buy a D-Link card.

I would suggest the senao 2511, even though it's been stated about it not having an internal antenna. With the external antenna it picks up a ton for me, compared to my linksys wpc54g ver5.. (I can pick up 13 total APs with the senao from my room, 3 total with my linksys) I'm probably going to buy another antenna that i can just clip on to my laptop since the one i currently have is pretty big with a magnet bottom.. (good for wardriving, not so much for warwalking)

Edited by s0uThp4rk