jfalcon

modem outbound (dial)

50 posts in this topic

Yeah, it appears to be up and running, but don't know if anybody has been successful in making a modem call. As others have said, this modem pool appears to be in Moscow, Russia. Kinda difficult to call the US from there - I'm sure it's blocked.. (or is it?) :)

Yep, it is. If you dial 810 + anything, the modem will respond with NO CARRIER way too fast for the call to have actually made progress. It might be behind a PBX or something. I wish I knew more about the Russian network, there's probably an easy way around all this. International is a bad idea, anyway. Whoever is responsible for caring for the modems will notice the nice charges in a heartbeat, and probably have it taken down/changed/passcoded.

One thing I *did* find interesting, though, is that when you dial a number, a lot of times it'll be restricted. If you put a ',' in front of it, though, it'll respond with OK instead of NO CARRIER after a reasonable amount of dialing time. Pulse dialing works, too, by the way.

Ok having googles around a bit I've located an additional command - no idea what it is mind,

anyway here is the output: 

*** Ascend modem pool server ***

Server ready.

Connected to modem 8:11...

ATH

OK

ATDT

OK

ATDT 9999999

NO CARRIER

ATI1

CD18

OK

ATI2

OK

ATI3

V2.098-K56_DLP_CSM

OK

ATI4

a007880284C6002F

bC60000000

r1005111151012004

r3000111170000000

OK

ATI5

OK

Anyone know what the ATI command does?

RP

Anyone know what the ATI command does?

In - Identification
The modem reports to the DTE the requested result according to the command parameter.

I0
Reports product code (e.g., "14400").
I1
Reports pre-computed checksum from ROM (e.g., "007").
I2
Computes checksum and compares it with value stored in ROM. Reports result as OK or ERROR.
I3
Reports firmware revision (VX.XXX)-model code (A = 64K US, B = Reserved, C = 128K US, D = 128K W-Class, E = 64K W-Class), interface type (S = serial; P = parallel) , and MCU model (29 = C29; 39 = C39) (e.g., "V1.297-CS29").
I4
Reports OEM defined identifier string (e.g., "RC96ACL") in either Hayes-compatible binary format (default) or ASCII format (selectable by ConfigureACE).
I5
Reports Country Code parameter (e.g., "022").
I6
Reports modem data pump model and internal code revision (e.g, RC144DPL Rev CE).

Result Codes:

OK n = 0 to 6.
ERROR Otherwise.

Source: google cache

Edit: Casi0wned's link to the AT command set for Rockwell chipsets is probably better than my source :)

http://www.56k.com/inits/rockwell.pdf

Edited by Tenchi

Maybe international calling doesn't work because the modem dials the country code and number too fast. Here in Spain if you dial it that fast it won't work. I mean, to dial an foreign country number, you have to dial country code, wait for some seconds then dial the number.

Take a look at 5:16's strange behaviour. Sometimes, when I gave the command ath1 typing on the terminal didn't worked and after some time "no carrier" appeared again. Can we increase the level of messages? To see if there is dialtone, or to do some other tests.

------------------

Server ready.

Connected to modem 5:16...

ATDL

OK

ath1

OK

ATDL

OK

atd,926548569

►►►►►►►►►►%0►►►►►►►►►►

NO CARRIER

ath

OK

ath1

OK

atd 9837,7892

7804[D[D[D[D9837%26►►►►►►►►►►

NO CARRIER

♥♥♥

ath

OK

ath

OK

atd1

NO CARRIER

ath1

OK

atd1

NO CARRIER

ath0

OK

ath1

OK

NO CARRIER

ath

OK

atha

NO CARRIER

th

ath

OK

ath

OK

ath

OK

ath

OK

at

OK

ath

OK

ath

OK

ath

OK

ath1

OK

atd1 80000000

1 80000000%

NO CARRIER

ath

OK

ath1

OK

NO CARRIER

ath

OK

ath1

OK

ath

AH%18►►►►►►►►►►

NO CARRIER

iath

OK

ath1

OK

atd 2 89999

AD 2 89999%28►►►►►►►►►►

Edited by Reaper

These things look really cool, Seriously I am bewildered by this post, I never knew there was that much cool old stuff lying around for us to explore.

Edited by IndexPhinger

Yep, it is. If you dial 810 + anything, the modem will respond with NO CARRIER way too fast for the call to have actually made progress. It might be behind a PBX or something. I wish I knew more about the Russian network, there's probably an easy way around all this. International is a bad idea, anyway. Whoever is responsible for caring for the modems will notice the nice charges in a heartbeat, and probably have it taken down/changed/passcoded.

One thing I *did* find interesting, though, is that when you dial a number, a lot of times it'll be restricted. If you put a ',' in front of it, though, it'll respond with OK instead of NO CARRIER after a reasonable amount of dialing time. Pulse dialing works, too, by the way.

According to the rockwell manual "NOTE: If the ATD command is issued before the S1 register has cleared, the modem will

respond with the NO CARRIER result code."

I tried DN instead and it would sit for quite a while and do nothing so I am getting to something but I have no clue as to what though.

^_^

Edited by IndexPhinger

Just to throw some more information out there about this box. Running a finger for all users gives us some semi-interesting info. Not sure if it will be of any use though.

[VT-2-E0-1.core.telecore.net.ru]
I Session Line: Slot: Tx Rx Service Host User
O ID Chan Port Data Rate Type[mpID] Address Name
I 386472352 1:26 4:14 31200 26400 PPP N/A Modem 4:14

I 386472124 1:25 4:4 45333 24000 PPP 213.135.65.184 tsri0577670

Edit: Question: Why hasn't anyone considered the possibility that there simply isn't a modem connected to the computer? That was my first thought on the "No Carrier" problem.

Edited by Lord 0xf

It's even more amazing that there are hosts on the internet still using the finger service XD. A week ago, finger gave me information on more users. tsri0577670 seems to be always connected. But...

Connected to modem 4:14? We got connected to other modems and finger didn't showed information on us that way.

Edit: Question: Why hasn't anyone considered the possibility that there simply isn't a modem connected to the computer? That was my first thought on the "No Carrier" problem.

If it's not modem, what other device could respond to AT commands? Mobile phones are discarded because it makes no sense

It's even more amazing that there are hosts on the internet still using the finger service XD. A week ago, finger gave me information on more users. tsri0577670 seems to be always connected. But...

Connected to modem 4:14? We got connected to other modems and finger didn't showed information on us that way.

If it's not modem, what other device could respond to AT commands? Mobile phones are discarded because it makes no sense

Yeah, you're right. The question should be, then: Why hasn't anyone considered the possibility that the modem simply isn't connected to the PSTN?

Yeah, you're right. The question should be, then: Why hasn't anyone considered the possibility that the modem simply isn't connected to the PSTN?

Its got a modem, I'm just not informed enough on this perticular device to do otherwise.

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~stanisls/helppc/hayes_modem_info.html

S1 0-255 ring count (clear after 8 sec) (read only)

If the affirmation of that s1 register has to be cleared is true, it means we must wait 8 seconds before the next try...? Anyway, whenever I try the command ATS1? it gives me as a result 000.

Edited by Reaper

Got new info. Resolving the hostnames from the IPs that finger gives us results like VT-X-XX.dialup.access.telecore.net.ru.

My guess is that this is a node for dialup access of a russian ISP called telecore. There must be a number for accessing the node. If that's the case, maybe the modems can only answer calls. But I wonder why the IP's from finger only have port 21 open. I was expecting them to be Windows XP hosts. But seeing how outdated the hosts in the range are, they could be using other OS.

EDIT: Found them!

http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=en&...KBC-tC6S5fUwiNw

The DNS server IP is on the range... I'm gonna see if I can cannect to these numbers at 300 baud with voipbuster and certain trick I once used.

Edited by Reaper

I doubt it. I tried multiple numbers with different baud rates on an MCI International circuit, and the delay was so bad, I couldn't get it to connect for the life of me. Picture a connection from the lower 48 to the far reaches of the Northwestern Territories. Now, picture the delay being twice as bad. That's about what you're getting.

Got new info. Resolving the hostnames from the IPs that finger gives us results like VT-X-XX.dialup.access.telecore.net.ru.

My guess is that this is a node for dialup access of a russian ISP called telecore. There must be a number for accessing the node. If that's the case, maybe the modems can only answer calls. But I wonder why the IP's from finger only have port 21 open. I was expecting them to be Windows XP hosts. But seeing how outdated the hosts in the range are, they could be using other OS.

EDIT: Found them!

http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=en&...KBC-tC6S5fUwiNw

The DNS server IP is on the range... I'm gonna see if I can cannect to these numbers at 300 baud with voipbuster and certain trick I once used.

Cool, let us know how that goes.

Research tells me that there used to be a big X.25 hacking scene in Russia.

I was lucky guessing that the area code was 495. I'm surprised how fast the call was completed. Never called to Russia before :D The call went through my mobile phone by setting the terminal at 9600 baud.

ate1

OK

atd+7739-0241

NO CARRIER

atd+007739-0241

NO CARRIER

atd+7495739-0241

CONNECT 9600

Welcome to TeleCore

Login: Mihail

Password:

Login incorrect

Login: Full Access

Password:

Login incorrect

Login: doro

Password:

Login incorrect

NO CARRIER

Here you see, I tried the default password of a Ascend Pipeline Terminal server (user: Full Access password: Ascend) and the usernames that finger gave me. But who knows, maybe I'm not dialing to the same node. Anyway, my wallet says it's not a good idea to try to crack the passwords.

EDIT: More info.

http://208.20.202.14/rte-ascend/1999/Nov/msg00038.html

http://archives.real-time.com/rte-ascend/1...p/msg20286.html

What's a PRI? If only we had a manual...

Edited by Reaper

it called meat 300 bud wit DN and 9810XXX-XXX-XXXX it took afew but it called "my" fortress phone w a really oldschool sounding line w jots of cosstalk

xcuse dad pelling am hidinh oUtsid w PsP

Edited by IndexPhinger

g'devening, everybody. I'll be your translator.

The modem called me with directory number 9810XXX-XXX-XXXX, but it took a few tries to call "my" fortress phone with a really leet sounding line with mad crosstalk. Excuse, my dad is yelling, so I'm hiding outside with my PSP.

Anyway, so...wait, you actually called your home phone with this thing? A rather expensive international call that actually completes sounds...bad. Also, were you setting any registers beforehand? I tried setting a number of them, and didn't have any luck.

PRI stands for Primary Rate Interface, which in this case is simply an E1 that they're probably using to interconnect the modems to the Russian PSTN.

The modem called me with directory number 9810XXX-XXX-XXXX, but it took a few tries to call "my" fortress phone with a really leet sounding line with mad crosstalk. Excuse, my dad is yelling, so I'm hiding outside with my PSP.

Anyway, so...wait, you actually called your home phone with this thing? A rather expensive international call that actually completes sounds...bad. Also, were you setting any registers beforehand? I tried setting a number of them, and didn't have any luck.

PRI stands for Primary Rate Interface, which in this case is simply an E1 that they're probably using to interconnect the modems to the Russian PSTN.

It managed to connect for a few seconds through mad crosstalk then went click, BAD CARRIER or something as I remember correctly, I was out field freaking and "Excuse The Bad Spelling" insues because I was hiding with my PSP in a recycling skip, I had to ditch my laptop a half-kilometer back behind the payphone because some people were being nosy. (at 3am on a tuesday?)

I called the nearest phone I had (A payphone that accepts calls) and got it to connect but there was almost no 300baud noise that I should hear on a *decent* line. I did DN 9810,,,,1,,780,,,NXX-NXXX

, Does pause and from what I've heard it takes almost 2 minutes to complete a call in russia.

There was wifi around so I had a chance to post before I was disturbed.

EDIT: It was modem 5:11 I tried, none of the other ones do anything...

Edited by IndexPhinger

It managed to connect for a few seconds through mad crosstalk then went click, BAD CARRIER or something as I remember correctly, I was out field freaking and "Excuse The Bad Spelling" insues because I was hiding with my PSP in a recycling skip, I had to ditch my laptop a half-kilometer back behind the payphone because some people were being nosy. (at 3am on a tuesday?)

I called the nearest phone I had (A payphone that accepts calls) and got it to connect but there was almost no 300baud noise that I should hear on a *decent* line. I did DN 9810,,,,1,,780,,,NXX-NXXX

, Does pause and from what I've heard it takes almost 2 minutes to complete a call in russia.

There was wifi around so I had a chance to post before I was disturbed.

EDIT: It was modem 5:11 I tried, none of the other ones do anything...

I used Hyperterminal and asked it to call my Grandcentral Mailbox and I got this...

Server ready.

Connected to modem 5:12...

DN 9810-1-509-252-0438

OK

ŠBB0BBHI!0BB0BB05ae50

Edited by IndexPhinger

I remember I was messing around with at+ms= on modem 5:(?), but didn't managed to connect.

Also... DN stands for atd + number right? Or am I missing something?

I remember I was messing around with at+ms= on modem 5:(?), but didn't managed to connect.

Also... DN stands for atd + number right? Or am I missing something?

Dial Number (and open line) is different from ATtention Dial, because you basically told it the line was already open with another command.

Edited by IndexPhinger