Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doomlazer

magstripes, plastic bags, and receipts

4 posts in this topic

Over the last few months my debit card has become very worn out and produces more and more "card read error"s when used at gas stations, liquor stores, etc..

Cashiers in-the-know have shown me a trick that involves covering the stripe with either a grocery store plastic bag or credit card receipt, then swiping the card through the reader.

This method seems to resolve the problem 100%.

Does anyone have any information about this hack, and how/why it works? Or any ideas on repairing damaged cards without replacement.

I dunno about the how and why, but I've covered my debit card magstripe in scotch tape to stop card read errors. Then again, theres a few gas stations that I don't go to because thier card readers are crap.

I think it has to do with the read head rubbing flat on the stripe, think of it as a washer and a bolt, like a gasket.

I went out to eat with some family members last night and when the conversation slowed, I mentioned that my debit card is fucked up. Apparently, damaged cards are an inevitability, and banks will issue replacements free of charge. I had previously been charged $5 for loosing my card, but I called my bank and there is no fee for replacing a card with a damaged magstripe. This post seems pretty pointless to me now, but I thank you for the response nonetheless!