Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
natas

Amp'd Mobile

7 posts in this topic

I wrote up a bit about Amp'd Mobile for Daily Phreak yesterday. The story was here. I want to post the whole thing here cause no ones said anything about Amp'd on the forums at this point.

What's the deal with Amp'd mobile? Do we really need another cellular provider targeted toward people under 30? Boost Mobile has done a pretty good job of covering this target audience, even though they're prepaid only. Recently I've been seeing a lot of flashy advertising by Amp'd Mobile. I did a little research into the company and essentially what they do is piggyback onto Verizon Wireless's CDMA and EVDO network, which is of course how they offer content such as streaming video. Their streaming video selection actually looks really good and they seem like they have a lot of good content available. They even offer push to talk, like Nextel, which is extremely popular with people under 25 or so.

Apparently Amp'd is still having a launch special where you get 3 free months of wireless data service, a free 128mb memory card, a free extended battery, free stereo headset and their "jet handset" all for only $99 with an 18 month contract. Not bad I guess. For $199 a month you can get unlimited voice, data and push to talk, plus the phone for free. It looks like they only have three different models of phones to choose from at this point though. I'm sure this will change soon as more and more EVDO capable phones are being released.

Heres on question I have though, has anyone seen any retail locations selling Amp'd Mobile service yet? Is their website the only place you can get service from? Are they planning on having Amp'd Mobile kiosks and retail locations? Basically, how are they planning their retail distribution?

I thought they were being distributed through all Verizon stores and re-sellers. But, I could be wrong.

It doesnt make sense to me that they would be doing that, as they would essentially be competing against themselves. Even though they'd still make money from Amo'd since they're using their network.

It doesnt make sense to me that they would be doing that, as they would essentially be competing against themselves. Even though they'd still make money from Amo'd since they're using their network.

I don't think so, Amp'd Mobile will be for the teenage and 20-something set. And when they finally grow out of carrying around a stupid looking cell phone that blares out a random Lil Jon song when someone calls, they'll head over to regular Verizon Wireless.

I don't think so, Amp'd Mobile will be for the teenage and 20-something set. And when they finally grow out of carrying around a stupid looking cell phone that blares out a random Lil Jon song when someone calls, they'll head over to regular Verizon Wireless.

How many teenage to 20-something people have $199 a month to spend on a cell phone? Doesn't sound like a very well thought out business plan to me.

Edited by refurbishment

$199 a month is for UNLIMITED use. of course a teenager is going to get that plan unless theyre super rich, but i think its cool that they even offer that, since most companys would still only give you like 2500 or 5000 minutes or something on their highest plan.

Somebody should definitly go and make sure that the unlimited plan is truly unlimited, get both thousands of minutes in, and TBs of data downloaded :)