Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
m3747r0n

Asterisk on a DreamCast?

10 posts in this topic

I was playing around with a old Saga DreamCast and it got me thinking, could Asterisk be modified to run on it?

I have turned DreamCast’s in to firewalls and network data miners but I haven’t worked much with Asterisk and am not sure if it would work.

Running a modified version of Debian

DreamCast Specs

CPU:

Hitachi SH4 CPU

200MHz clock rate

360 MIPS (millions of instructions per second)

1.4 billion floating-point operations per second

3D calculations

800+ MBytes/second bus bandwidth

Graphics:

NEC/Videologic CLX1 graphics chip (AKA PowerVR Second Generation)

3 million polygons/second peak rendering rate

Perspective-Correct Texture Mapping

Point, Bilinear, Trilinear and Anisotropic Mip-map filtering

Gouraud shading

Z-buffer

Colored light sourcing

Full scene anti-aliasing

16.7 million colors

Hardware based, fog, bump mapping, and texture compression

Shadow and light volumes

Super sampling

Memory:

16 MB main operating RAM

8 MB video RAM (VRAM)

2 MB sound RAM 128KB Flash RAM

Sound:

Yamaha AICA Sound Core

RISC CPU

DSP for real-time effects

64 sound channels

Full 3D sound support

Hardware-based audio compression

Storage Media:

GD-ROM

1 Gigabyte data storage

12X speed

Other

Dreamcast Broadband Adapter

Four controller ports

Built-in expansion ports

If it were possible, 16MB of RAM is just not enough to run an asterisk server. The performance would be flakey.

If it were possible, 16MB of RAM is just not enough to run an asterisk server. The performance would be flakey.

Asterisk is running on a WRT54GS which is only 8MB/32MB Rom. So space should not be an issue?

Asterisk is running on a WRT54GS which is only 8MB/32MB Rom.   So space should not be an issue?

I didn't say space, I said memory. I've noticed terrible performance problems when trying to run asterisk on a system with less than 64MB of RAM.

Edited by vox

Asterisk is running on a WRT54GS which is only 8MB/32MB Rom.   So space should not be an issue?

I didn't say space, I said memory. I've noticed terrible performance problems when trying to run asterisk on a system with less than 64MB of RAM.

Ooh, I am just on the "limit" then. I run asterisk on my xbox w/ xebian and it works well. I've never ran into memory problems, while running it + apache + qmail + dovecot + samba + cups + radvd (plus others). Only seems to reboot when I reboot it.

Any old xbox + modchip capable of being flashed would do the trick. (though maybe not v1.6 because of the new chipset, v1 to v1.4 works anyway). Plus you'd have a HDD and CDROM so you wouldn't have to write/rewrite cds or use network storage.

Edited by mo0

I guess in the end, it really depends on what you intend to use asterisk for...

running any serious dedicated service on top of linux with the dreamcast is usually pretty flakey because a lot of your resources are used for linux. I ran a dreamcast web server for a couple months just to see the load it could take. It would still be worth a shot though.

running any serious dedicated service on top of linux with the dreamcast is usually pretty flakey because a lot of your resources are used for linux.  I ran a dreamcast web server for a couple months just to see the load it could take.  It would still be worth a shot though.

Well I have started work on it, as I like the idea of having an asterisk box that costs less then $40 to make.

Edited by m3747r0n

just get the BBA and plug it into your CSU/DSU's ethernet port, and yeah asterisk should run on it; just make sure and use a uClibc-based distro to save on disk and RAM space. a dreamcast isn't so cool anymore though. now, a TiVo with asterisk...

just get the BBA and plug it into your CSU/DSU's ethernet port, and yeah asterisk should run on it; just make sure and use a uClibc-based distro to save on disk and RAM space. a dreamcast isn't so cool anymore though. now, a TiVo with asterisk...

Yeah I got it up and running about 2 hours ago, I’m now playing around with it.

All I can say is that it works but not very well.

I’m in the UK so I don’t have access to a TiVo but I have had asterisk running on my xbox for quite some time, I have an old Sky+ box which I thinking about trying to get asterisk running on.