Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vox

New phreaking radio show?

6 posts in this topic

I'm actually thinking about starting a new one. It would be similar to Default. It could be a monthly (or twice a month) show. The topics discussed would mostly be about the following:

- Caller ID

- VoIP

- asterisk

- Exchange Scanning (Share and discuss interesting numbers, etc.)

- New telephone related services

- Call-ins from listeners

- Letters/Q&A

These are the topics I think would make for a quality phone phreaking radio show. The main thing, though, is that I don't want to be a host. I just don't have a good voice for radio. However, I would love to produce or help produce the show.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I would go for quality over quantity by helping an existing show instead of making another one (which, statistically speaking, would probably only run for 5 episodes). I think Jason Scott has talked about this.

BlakeOPS is right. We already have phreaking shows. Help out Binrev, Bellcore, default in some way. It's good that we have them. Now, let's make our existing shows better. Submit content if nothing else. I'm sure at least one show would welcome a cohost.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from making your own show. Just pointing out what would be useful at this time.

I guess now would be a good time to remind everyone that me and the rest of the folks over here at the BellCoreOmnimedia Group are always looking for people to submit recordings to our radio show BellCoreRadio. Basically anything that is related to phreaking, hacking, privacy, or just technology in general will be considered. Keep in mind that we do reserve the right to edit any recordings that we put in the show. We're not trying to keep your information from getting out in the way it is intended to get out, we just have a strict 'no doc-dropping' rule. So if your recording leaks personal information about someone, the personal info will be edited (and replaced with funny recordings.) Just send anything you want to submit to BellCoreRadio [at] Gmail [dot] com

Edited by ponyboy_

As an avid podcast listener (I'm sick of all the CDs I own and it's a long work day), I wholeheartedly support phreaking radio shows. Just make sure to have actual content and make calls. Get a few people who don't clam up just because you're recording and who have a decent personality and voice and go for it. Even if you only last 5 episodes, that's 5 hours or whatever of my time at work that you helped kill. Hell, I've been listening to podcasts on comic books, Harry Potter, and that one that was the link of the day in this week's binrev...nothing against any of those shows, but it's basically just a couple of people talking about whatever they're interested in only doing it in front of a mic.

Hot tip: Drink LOTS of caffeine before the show. ENERGY!! Many early podcasts are ruined because the hosts get nervous or clam up actually recording themselves. Just make sure it's interesting. You'll know after 3 episodes or so if podcasting's for you or not.

Oh, and one other thing. PUNK MUSIC. I'm sick of all the hacking shows having this ambiant bullshit techno stuff. Default's had it closest with KMFDM.

The Abstruse One

Abtruse: drinking alot of caffeine before a show is probably one of the worst bits of advice you can give for podcasting. Caffeine causes you to rush your speaking, which makes it slurred and very inaudible. The best advice I've found I got out of Podcasting Hacks from O'Reilly: Warm Lemon Tea. works wonders for the radio voice.

as for music, i think it is really up to the hosts personal preference. I listen to a wide variety of music, and i try to reflect that in the intro/outro music on BellcoreRadio.