matt

A strange # sent me a text

28 posts in this topic

I got two text messages today from the phone number 900080001033.

Here are the messages in the order I recieved them:

17110LO 0

18110LO 0

The character after the L is an o, not a zero.

I called the number, and got a recording. Dead end.

Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and dial again. SW2

Anyone know what this is? Its using up my limited number of text messages.

hey, not trying to be a smartass, im just as curious about this as you are, but thats obviously not a telephone number.

Did you just try to call back a 900 number?

its -obviously not a phone number-

90 is Turkey's country code, and maybe the other numbers are other specifications.

Maybe,

Country code, Area Code, Exchange, Rest of #

Just my thoughts, I may be totally off...

Edited by Exvitel

its -obviously not a phone number-

Yes, but it still begins with 900. Dialing numbers with the 900 area code isn't the best idea.

But, yeah, it's definatly not a valid number. Seems like it's some internal cell phone company message. Was this a new phone or did you just get service on it?

i dont think someone in turkey could send you a text message, different network protocols or something, i dont know, im not a cellphone guy.

No, international texting is possible. Diffrent protocols? Its either GSM or CDMA.

maybe they used something like smsspoofing.com to send you a spoofz0red message. probably not though, but its not completely out of the question.

its probably just some weird network code. something might of been screwed up with your providers sms gateway?

i dont think someone in turkey could send you a text message, different network protocols or something, i dont know, im not a cellphone guy.

Actually it could be done .. If the text message was sent through some online web based text messenger .. perhaps someone is messing with you!

Edit

Sorry natas .. didn't read ahead before I posted that!

Edited by Majest|c

No, international texting is possible. Diffrent protocols? Its either GSM or CDMA.

i thought there were others...also, european countries use something different dont they? i think i read that somewhere, but like usual, im probably wrong.

Text messaging doesnt really have different protocols as far as I know....

The cell phone isnt new, and I havent done anything to my hosting plan lately.

And I highly doubt its someone messing with me. Why would they send two messages with random text in it?

I want to find out what this stuff means.

you can send text anywhere in the world. calling though is another story it looks liek someone might have tried to crash your cellphone with sms

International SMS is not only possible, but very easy. The protocol used is ultimatly SMPP which is exchanged between the providers. How the data gets between the phone and the provider makes no difference. Once it's at the provider it's SMPP all the way to the end provider who then does what they do to send it on to the phone.

As for the message itself, it's very easy to send SMS messages with different header information to say who it's coming from. If it really was from a turkish telephone then it will most likely come up with the full international number for that turkish phone - 01190...(?) That's to allow you to reply to the message without altering the number you are sending to.

However, in this case it's possible that the messages were actually binary messages that your phone can't understand. Over in the UK there was (and still is) cases of people sending Wap push messages out to mobile phones when you weren't expecting them, and using the person following the link as acceptance into a subscription service. Now, most phones that don't understand a Wap push message will just complain and not show anything, but it's possible that your phone might just do it's best and fail.

This is just a guess, and could be totally off, but it's another option...

yeah that sounds right. it could of been the encoding. i got a message from a provider one time when i was testing some stuff out and it was all garbled and had a random "from" number as well.

european countries use something different dont they? i think i read that somewhere, but like usual, im probably wrong.

no, they use different bands (frequency). there are (commercially) three types, duel,tri and quad band. duel only use european frequencys (forgot the numbers, but there are two sets, (surprise surprise) ) and tri lets you place calls from europe and the us. im not sure about quad, i think you can call any country that has a bin-lid-turned-dish network, (thats mainly a guess), that is all assuming that you live in europe. you americans probably have some sort of 1 band phone that stops working when you cross the border....

i'm pretty sure this has implications for text as well.

i know that does not really help, but this is my first time i have posted without crying for help.

so, in true noob fashion, its probably all wrong

[edit] it kinda sounds like good old fashioned line noise :D , bring back the golden years!

[edit again], yey, know its not line noise ok

Edited by Divo

Weird international stuff happens sometimes. I've gotten a couple calls from overseas on my cell phone, when I don't know anyone over there. One time it distinctly sounded like someone was in a bar. Every see what kind of weird shit gets dialed when your phone is in your pocket and unlocked?

Hmmm. Many options here.

My best guess is, this is coming from my provider(verizon).

I could call and ask their tech support, who probably wont know what it is either but thats worth a try too.

Reading the replies, this reminds me; for about a month I recieved text messages that people were sending that were not addressed to me.

During this time period, I got messages from this girl to her boyfriend, from my friend scott to other random people, and from several other people. These people arent stupid, I'm pretty sure they didnt send all these messages to me by mistake. I dont know why I was getting them though.

Maybe just a weird, month-long coincidence.

european countries use something different dont they? i think i read that somewhere, but like usual, im probably wrong.

no, they use different bands (frequency). there are (commercially) three types, duel,tri and quad band. duel only use european frequencys (forgot the numbers, but there are two sets, (surprise surprise) ) and tri lets you place calls from europe and the us. im not sure about quad, i think you can call any country that has a bin-lid-turned-dish network, (thats mainly a guess), that is all assuming that you live in europe. you americans probably have some sort of 1 band phone that stops working when you cross the border....

i know that does not really help, but this is my first time i have posted without crying for help.

The bands are 850,900, 1800, and 1900. 850/1900 used here. It has already been said the SMS has nothing to do with the bands. The rest of your post didn't really make any sense.

Edited by GIJoe

so, in true noob fashion, its probably all wrong

[edit] it kinda sounds like good old fashioned line noise :D , bring back the golden years!

[edit again], yey, know its not line noise ok

I am not sure what you mean. The single, dual, etc bands are exactly what they are, they CAN work under more than one band. If you have a GSM phone, you wouldn't have any problem in Europe. I know people that bought a GSM phone here in the US just becuse they go to Europe alot and wanted something that would work there, or bought a multiband. Didn't AT&T Wireless used to offer a package where they would loan you a GSM phone if you were traveling to Europe?

To clarify, in the US GSM operates in only the 1.9 GHz band.

Edited by EncinoMan

ive seen stuff like this on my phone, if i get a automatic message from my provider, it has a really screwy from. i got one the other day complaining about my bill, again, and it came from 1111111A

they also show up from A or some other random alpa numeric char. i dont think its anything to worry about.

sorry i was unclear. by the end i was talking to myself....(lack of sleep) i ment that a european duel band only works in europe, and a europen tri works in america as well as europe. i'm not sure about quad (as i said) but i know that its just another frequency(ies).

i did not see the bit sazzer wrote, i got lost in techno babel....but i see it know. i did not know that providers changed the protocol because i always had trouble with int. text (but i now know this was me not paying "roaming" charges), and also because i thought most providers where stngy bast***s

sorry again

Edited by Divo