Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mostly_bitter

Wardriving Hotspots

26 posts in this topic

I meant types of businesses, etc.

I have noticed that the MOST INSECURE are real estate businesses. Each one I have come across has either had theri network totally unsecured or the C drive shared. WTF? I am just confused. I didn't do anything to the network. I was just curious who else has noticed trends like this with other businesses and what types of businesses.

NOTE: I probably would not mention names of businesses, just types. Never can be too careful.

One of the businesses that surprised me was doctor's offices. Let's see, all they have is your name, health record, address, phone number, and social security number. With HIPAA you would think they would be more careful, but they just suck at it.

Ive seen some at most book stores like Barns & Noble or Borders, also at a bowling alley, sometimes i just pick up random peoples hot spots too.

Ive seen some at most book stores like Barns & Noble or Borders, also at a bowling alley, sometimes i just pick up random peoples hot spots too.

Book stores charge you. Or at least Barnes And Nobles does.

Book stores charge you. Or at least Barnes And Nobles does.

so does borders

I have noticed that the MOST INSECURE are real estate businesses. Each one I have come across has either had theri network totally unsecured or the C drive shared. WTF? I am just confused. I didn't do anything to the network. I was just curious who else has noticed trends like this with other businesses and what types of businesses.

NOTE: I probably would not mention names of businesses, just types. Never can be too careful.

What amazes me the most is those businesses that use an ssid of their business name; we've even come across one that use their url as the ssid name wtf is wrong with these poeple.

Another of my favourites during wardriving was one network that had an ssid of the street name and house number... wots wrong with this picture...

What amazes me the most is those businesses that use an ssid of their business name; we've even come across one that use their url as the ssid name wtf is wrong with these poeple.

Another of my favourites during wardriving was one network that had an ssid of the street name and house number... wots wrong with this picture...

depending on where you live, it mightve been me, im always hoping some leet haxer is going to drop by and we can talk about computer stuff. i also have a file shared called "creditcard numbers.txt" and its like "hey, cc fraud is lame, but im me on aim blablabla" but so far no one has said anything :(

i find that the most insecure tend to be local businesses. the smaller the company, the less time they have to spend on security. this is upsetting, because no one wants local joe down the street to have problems with his business.

The thing is, if they have an access point, there is no reason to be insecure... well ... too insecure.

ANY consumer wifi router has AT LEAST WEP! I mean, WEP may be crackable, but not to your average 17 year old with a wifi card and netstumbler ....

Most people just don't think about it ... they think if they set it up inside their buisness, they are fine ... i mean "It's inside, they are outside .. what's the prob?". Yeah....

I have seen real estate places, most have been securing themselves in the past few months, i've noticed a big increase in security in my town in the past 5-6 months.

I have found in my travels that the ones that are most insecure are by IDIOTS!!! :-)

but really, what I have found most insecure are small companies where the owner is the IT support. this covers car dealers, mortage companies (NICE), and doctor offices.

not on the subject businesses, but the one SSID I loved was what sounded like a last name. I typed the name into verizon.com and the city where I found it. it came back to an address across the interstate. I later went over to that side of town and found the house.

I put security into a real estate office and before I got there, nothing was done (really bad). The office was like that for a long time and the more I was there, I couldnt belivie how bad it was. I think its that way because the market is crazy right now and everyone is opening a office. They just think they can setup the same thing they have at there house. They are making alot of websites too, look at who is hosting there site and get there email address, go to the host site and username: "email address" Password: "password". Thats worked so much. Dont forget the voicemail box, thats just as unsecure as anything. The information you can get, crazy.

Realtors fall into that more money then sense category most of the times, so it doesnt surprise me that you have seen so many unprotected WAPs from realestate offices. Hotels usually protect their networks with username and password auth instead of encryption, so unless you connected and poked around dont assume its unencrypted.

I used to find most of my waps on the bus ride home. In the city where the bus would be going faster, i would only find 3-5 but once i hit the residential streets, I would hit about 80 in a 15 minute time span. and in about a 8^2 block radius.

on a recent visit to the doctor's office i brought my laptop. i was encouraged to see they used WPA on their AP. i was discouraged to see they had big stickers with the IP address of each of their three APs in public areas. it was impossible to ignore these big, beautiful IP addresses out in the open. fools.

my travels have taught me that local city government offices are implementing wireless. in my area there are a number of police departments and city halls that have open, unrestricted APs. fools.

real estate agents? blah, they're all hearse-chasing greedy bastards and they don't know jack about APs despite what they might believe. guess that's the penalty nature gives them for wearing white leather shoes.

ad agencies are also good for open APs, especially the big ones. add design shops to that list.

Edited by VerbalKint

Ive never really been one for going out wardriving, probably due to the fact I cant drive :P

.. however I fired up my laptop going between Stansted Airport and Liverpool St Station (UK) and was surprised at the sheer amount of unsecured networks that were picked up, I was picking up loads and then switched to the alternative scan and it was picking up more. There is also a couple of wireless routers close by where I live but I were my white hat with pride and dont touch them or it could be that they dont have as fast as a connection as myself :)

I usually jump at the chance to go wardriving. I don't have a laptop so there has to be some nice laptop owner come with me. When i've gone before i found unsecure coffee shops. They all had shared C drives. They had some info on employees but nothing too important and best of all... free coffee coupons. Mabey I'll start drinking coffee.

I usually jump at the chance to go wardriving. I don't have a laptop so there has to be some nice laptop owner come with me. When i've gone before i found unsecure coffee shops. They all had shared C drives. They had some info on employees but nothing too important and best of all... free coffee coupons. Mabey I'll start drinking coffee.

We go War Driving over her every week ... WSe have my laptop connected to an older toshiba running Linux ... We use a VNC to connect to GPS Drive, where we have maps of the whole damn state ... Kismet running with a Sisco card with Ant .... Just in out city alone we find nearly 70 Hot Spots .. When we drive to other locations, we have found that some of the Clecs are online, and alot of differant SSIDS with som strange names popup, Phat Chix, some with what looks like a phone number .. Over all we use iot to get to pre determined Destinations that we go Trashing with ... Whats funny is Most Hotels are wide open, I have seen Real Estate Offices, And I think one school was ... Fun activites over all, but I love it all the same! GPS is your friend! :grr:

IDK but my schools wi-fi is probably unsecure im thinking about taking a laptop up there on a weekend

I dont do alot of war driving mainly because I could care less whether or not "Sindey Loou's" AP is wide open but I have noticed that my cities cop cars have laptops that broad cast SSID. But they use encryption (WEP). Im not exactly sure why they would have a wireless enabled laptop with them when there isn't a city wide wifi network for them? Weird shit! Ive also noticed that my local 7-11 uses 802.11a and Jack N' Box also has a wireless network, not sure what protocol their using though.

For fun i took my laptop out and booted up netstumbler. I closed laptop and drove about 2 citys. I noticed alot! it was about equal with the encrypted to unencrypted. I found alot of small buisnesses were unsecure. But what gets me is why when you have an encryption would you even broadcast your SSID? Eh guess some people never learn. Although i still cant talk my step dad into letting me un-broadcast the SSID. Welp thats why i dont pay rent i guess. =(

around here i find that apartment buildings are the best spot to find open networks. I was visiting a friend last night in his apartment and wanted to use his wireless to connect my DS to the mario-cart servers and when my scan was done i had like 5 open networks to choose from.

While I was setting up a secure wireless network @ a buddies house who just bought a Condo I found 13 un-secured WiFi Networks in his complex...I thought it was amusing...So I tried one of the Condo Complex's near my house...same story...this time only 7...but still...

best ones ive found.

a bank (left it alone)

local cop shop .......

the local VA hospital. (42 APs when i walked through it with lappy in a backpack)

local college admin offices.

and my personal fave. Victoria's secret, yes, they do keep a list of what you buy, and when you where in last.