alktrioguy

School fun

37 posts in this topic

Ill put it out there from the beginning, im a noob.

next, ive been stumbling around on my school's network. They locked up the servers in "my network places" after it got out that some students(including me) were getting curious about what were on the servers.

so in recent times, ive resorted to ipscanning and just toying with printers. obviously after about 20 mins of this it got old. so im really just curious if anyone has ideas of mostly non-malicious things to do with my schools network. especially actions that can be directed at specific computers. anything will do, and please dont remind me of the consequences, im very aware of them.

some additional info:

all computers run either windows 2000 or XP, all running Novell.

any ideas will be appreciated, im just looking to kill some time, or hell just dream of it anyway.

Thanks

Alktrioguy

My school runs Novell as well. I am interested in this, but not in anything malicious. Once I go back to school and get my notebook with my notes on the school's computers/networks I will post them.

One thing I did at a tech school (went there through the high school) was to create a batch file called msg.bat:

net send * hi2u

msg

That's asking for trouble though :)

I usually just fool around with comand prompts:

Open up NotePad *if they blocked notpad, view steps A B and C*

A)Open up internet explorer

B)Go to any website

C)Right click on some free space on the page and hit something like "View Page Source"

*when your in notepad* type in "command.com" with NO quotes

Save that file as a .bat and check off "All" in save file type

Now when you have that .bad saved, click it and you got yourself a command prompt. I've never got caught doing it :)

Sometimes to get passed some websites, just google the name of the site "google www.binrev.com or w/e they blocked" and after the description hit "Cached". This will basically tell your firewall that your still on google when your really on the site. Its great for playing games on addictinggames.com. The only time this doesnt work is on newer computers, it finds it as a P2P/Loophole.

I hoped this helped, because i missed the buss for typing it :lol:

that also helps me! thank you so much, i cant wait to try it

Have fun with API's. Alot of them dont require system privs to be executed. Example: the beep api. Makes an annoying beep and you can change the frequency and duration. The setcursorpos api. set the position of the mouse. This can really get annoying if its on a timer of say...Sleep(10000); (sleep 10 seconds). Just take one of your apps, and leave it running. Then go bug the admins. Chances are they will be baffled.

Get a copy of HiJetter. It lets you do fun things with the networked LaserJet printers, such as setting a custom message on the little LCD status screens, or storing files in the printer's ROM (used to play hide-and-seek with the school's LaserJets with that -- hide files in the memory and gather the clues...we were bored...). Just be careful with it; a not-so-intelligent friend didn't believe it was working, and managed to disable printing service to all 350 computers that relied on the network printers!

Press Shift key 5 times rapidly. This enables Sticky Keys and makes Atari-esque sound effects with the system speaker. Press 5 more times to get different effects. Get the whole computer lab doing that, and it sounds like 1980's scifi.

I use sticky keys alot in my school, I get a whole bunch of friends to do it at the same time :)

what does sticky keys do anyway?

It's for handicapped people -- it lets you press a key from a combination like CTRL + ALT + DEL and release each key of the combo before pressing the next key. I suppose it's handy if you have one hand or something?

I usually just fool around with comand prompts:

Open up NotePad.

*when your in notepad* type in "command.com" with NO quotes

Save that file as a .bat and check off "All" in save file type

Now when you have that .bad saved, click it and you got yourself a command prompt. I've never got caught doing it  :)

I'm a newbie, and I'm wondering what the point in this is. What's so great about having a "command prompt"? Thanks in advance dude!

thanks guys for all the suggestions. feel free to add more things.

also, anyone ever hear of cane and able, or something like that?

Look for webservers running on the network. Most biz. printers will have webservers. Alot of things are run on webservers, and just looking at a web page isn't usually a violation of any AUP.

Very Easy, Very Simple, but can be interesting.

Yes! Cain and Abel is a great tool for general network monitoring. It was the first packet sniffer I ever used. It's pretty simple to get started with. Just don't be a n00b like the guys I introduced to it and use it to steal AIM passwords or anything like that. There's nothing wrong with exploring a network, but if you do something stupid like steal teacher passwords so that you can get unrestricted InterWeb access to look at pr0n, you probably need to reconsider what you're doing.

EDIT: if you're looking for a much *better* network traffic analyzer, though, use Ethereal. It's less packaged-destruction and more raw data collection.

Edited by systems_glitch

Thanks for the comments. ill look into ethereal.

trying my curiousity with nmap, only problem im having is installing the driverfs for winpcap, i need to have admin priveledges to install the file that i download from their site. does anyone know a way around this?

using Cain & Abel, you can ARP poison the network, and eventually take it down. As long as you know what to do. Works exceptionally well on Novell networks

Haven't you learned from the several posts on the forums from people who have got in serious trouble from doing this? There is nothing to be learned from messing around with your school network. Don't bother, and don't waste your time and resources. If you want to learn do it on your own network.

I'm a newbie, and I'm wondering what the point in this is. Well, from here u can do alot of stuff. Google "command prompt commands". I'de write more but im om my psp

I messed around with my school's network in my Cisco Networking class and sent a message to every computer on my city's school network. Luckily they didn't find out, but my Cisco Networking teacher told me that i can get expelled for doing that. Ever since that happened i've never fucked around on the network.

you guys are lucky you get a cisco networks course. it was only offerred at one school in the district when i was in highschool, and since I didn't have a car at that point I was force to buy the books and equipment and learn by myself.

Have you tried opening a file explorer window and typing %windir% in the address bar which should bring up the \windows\ directory and seeing if you can access cmd and hack from there... use commands like "net use" to find out more about your computers view of the network

Edited by theslimshady

Ah

so school stuff. Is this against the rules?

I think the best thing ive found all month is word. not notpad or anything else..

i know about batch files and all that but thats unimportant compaired to this.

I forgot the specifics but where you choose what toolbas your doing from that checklist thing. one of those brings up a url box kinda and i deleted back to the server and veiwed a few things. But its really fun..

Hah. at my school we cant do net send much because they installed vnc servers on all computers and if hovered the icon displays the ip of the sender. But schools are intoresting...

Ah

so school stuff. Is this against the rules?

I think the best thing ive found all month is word. not notpad or anything else..

i know about batch files and all that but thats unimportant compaired to this.

I forgot the specifics but where you choose what toolbas your doing from that checklist thing. one of those brings up a url box kinda and i deleted back to the server and veiwed a few things. But its really fun..

Hah. at my school we cant do net send much because they installed vnc servers on all computers and if hovered the icon displays the ip of the sender. But schools are intoresting...

vnc servers hey... well just a suggestion.... maybe u should crack them?

I use sticky keys alot in my school, I get a whole bunch of friends to do it at the same time :)

what does sticky keys do anyway?

Ah, how I loved sticky keys. My friends and I would make raps using sticky key sounds and ejecting the CD-ROM drives... the good ole days of high school

For those that are running novel....heres my experience...

Most schools run internal networks with personal student information....to access the login prompt what I did was basically type "isis" on a webbrowser and it brought me upto a login screen for the database. After reading a few books on novell, i found that one of the defaults was "sasi" "sasi" (user/pass) and to my surprise I got admin access for about a month till they closed the account...(If you want to see a example of the login screen, some schools have access to this network from offsite, so bascially if you google something similar to "filetype:exe isis" you will find what I am talking about" :blink:

To this day I have 1 CDR (only about 100mb (which is alot!)) full with personal information of lots of students (ss#/address/phone/grades/etc.)....I havent done anything or planning on doing much with them, just keeping it till i feel like it basically....The reason i have only about 92-100~mb of info is because once the record(s) is accessed in a webbased environment, I either copied and pasted everything onto a word doc and saved it or saved the entire html page to a floppy, i basically transferred about 10 floppies worth of info per day for a month till they locked the account..but hey i never got caught to this day....(dont fuck w/ peoples info though ss# etc..)

*also be sure you steal some other students account before trying any of this stuff....and as allways I dont reccommend doing this at all.. :blink: