Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cr4X

UNIX and Linux

23 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what the difference between a real UNIX system, and a Linux system is.

Thanks in advance.

thats pretty vague... If you expect a list of differences, it could get phenomenally long. The basic difference is that UNIX came first. Different flavors of UNIX came along afterwards. Linux was one of those flavors. It was open source, and freely distributable, which is why it become so popular.

As far as specific differences, it is a little tough. The apps are compiled differently for each flavor of unix and therefore may have different swicthes and ways of working. These are APPLICATION differences, however, and not KERNEL differences. Kernel differences are the important ones and they are on a very technical level.

One costs a whole shitload of money and the other doesn't :).

Right on!!! But, somethin i wanna know is what can't you do on someting like red hat that you can do on BSD/Unix/etc vise versa?

Nothing as long as someone takes the time to code it.

The BSDs are said to be more stable and you'll see them used a lot for mission critical servers, although the same can be said for Linux. It's all a matter of preference really. Like StankDawg said, it's all pretty much the same until you start getting into the very low level stuff like the differences in how one implements disk access, memory, process handling, and all that fun stuff.

In my thoughts BSD, where the code for all the *BSD's where used to test the first implentation of IPV4. But if you really what to know Here's some

Extra Links

I just love the way FreeBSD way of doing things B)

and the not having to deal with the Linux packages managers. Also as said above it's just a matter of taste and if U like the daemon tools to play with or not.

I use both gentoo linux and freebsd. aside from the kernel and some tools, they're pretty much the same.

psychopuppy: I know that Linux and UNIX look pretty much the same, that's why i asked this question ;)

But why did Linus Torvalsen make a hole new kernel, when all the bigger companies use UNIX, so if UNIX is more stable than Linux, couldn't he just make an opensource version of UNIX wich would be the best choice for everyone..? :huh:

Thanks a lot for the help.

I don't even know what the hell would be called UNIX anymore. Ok here's how it went down. At Bell Labs there were some research projects going on. One of those research projects was the UNIX operating system. For legal reasons UNIX and its development tools were donated in pristine form to various colleges. The college students went ape shit over it and soon the operating system began to change from what it once was. Those college students went on to form companies and license their versions of UNIX. Ok so now Linus Torvalds comes along. He wants to use UNIX on his home pc but there isn't one available (I don't think 386BSD was around then). So he stumbles across this project called MINIX. This was a version of UNIX he could use on his home pc but had little of the functionality he was used to with the UNIX he was using at the University of Helsinki. After hacking away at it soon his project was more advanced than MINIX. He put a call out to usenet for anyone that wants to help him on his new open source UNIX called Linux. Of course without GNU nobody would even be talking about Linux.

So you see he did make an open source version of UNIX.

Wow that's a long story, but an interresting one of couse. Thanks a lot! :D

I use both gentoo linux and freebsd. aside from the kernel and some tools, they're pretty much the same.

word man, I use gentoo on my desktop, and freeBSD on my server :)

the only "REAL" unix is made by SCO, because they have the copyright!

don't hurt me.... joking.

thats pretty vague... If you expect a list of differences, it could get phenomenally long. The basic difference is that UNIX came first. Different flavors of UNIX came along afterwards. Linux was one of those flavors. It was open source, and freely distributable, which is why it become so popular.

As far as specific differences, it is a little tough. The apps are compiled differently for each flavor of unix and therefore may have different swicthes and ways of working. These are APPLICATION differences, however, and not KERNEL differences. Kernel differences are the important ones and they are on a very technical level.

Haha, I just realised that is the EXACT same answer as from a BinRev letter! :)

there is System V

i really want to find a computer that will run sys V.

thats pretty vague...  If you expect a list of differences, it could get phenomenally long.  The basic difference is that UNIX came first.  Different flavors of UNIX came along afterwards.  Linux was one of those flavors.  It was open source, and freely distributable, which is why it become so popular.

As far as specific differences, it is a little tough.  The apps are compiled differently for each flavor of unix and therefore may have different swicthes and ways of working.  These are APPLICATION differences, however, and not KERNEL differences.  Kernel differences are the important ones and they are on a very technical level.

Haha, I just realised that is the EXACT same answer as from a BinRev letter! :)

yes, many of the letters (sometimes *ALL* of the letters) are pulled from the nubieHQ forums.

Um, systemV is the original AT&T UNIX, and is the bases for Linux (as apposed to Berkeley) AT&T UNIX, aka System V, runs on i386 machines as well as many others.

I understand that bsds are usually "more stable" because the kernel is smaller and lighter, for instance linux includes certain network functions at the kernel level, which is faster, but also makes it a tad less secure and more prone to instability. I like linux though, because it is flexible and easy to tinker with.

Oh, and I did a google image search for BSD and came up with this (supposedly at some sort of BSD thing at some trade show)

daemonette.jpg

I wonder if she codes? :wub:

see, only freeBSD can have the hot chick.

if it was open, she would be a bloated freak who smells like fish :)