Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
screamer

CS books

26 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend some good computer science books? I'm especially looking for the ones that are used in actual college courses, so if anyone had/has some could you share the names and authors of them?

The way I see it, courses and teachers are only good for two things. A) Taking your money. and B) Giving your knowledge validity to the morons in the working world.

Look at my teacher, yes that one, and how he only recites information from the book chapter by chapter. Oh sure, he gives us fancy slide shows using his elite powerpoint skills, but it's all stuff that's found in the books. Even the fucking homework questions are taken straight from the end of the chapter! What's the point of having the teacher or going to class? Really, if all you want is the information, then all you need is the book. Oh, what's that? You need the teacher in case you have any questions? What makes you think they'll have all the proper answers?

Hell, I know mine doesn't.

But again, a list of computer science books would be appreciated.

introduction to computer science books are really good

Eh no specific books really.

You might find this to be exactly what you're looking for though.

Thanks for the advice, but if anyone has any actual book titles they can recommend that'd be great. My library isn't exactly the wealth of current information I'd like it to be, so I'd have to throw down the green in order to buy them, and I'd like to know I'm getting the best.

To be honest, someone who's gone through a CS course at a university and could tell me what books they were assigned in each class.

Here's a quick rundown of the books that I used in school:

Deitel's "C++ How to Program"

Introduction to Algorithms

The Intel Microprocessors 8086/8088, 80186/80188, 80286, 80386, 80486, Pentium, and Pentium Pro Processor Architecture, Programming, and Interfacing

Common Lispcraft

Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment

That's just a quick random sample of what I can remember. If you want more I'll dig up the books that I can find and post more Amazon links. There were a bunch of network programming ones as well but I can't find them online right now.

Hope that helps.

I'm reading one called "Software Engineering, Fifth Edition" by one Ian Summerville ... Mostly coding and data-organization related, but it's supposed to be required reading for about a junior-level college CS course. *Shrug*

-@®©1-1@/\/GE1_

hey ntheory, thanks for the info = )

I cant wait till i start college next school year, i took Computer Program Analyst = )

I can go dig up my textbooks, but they are a few yeras older now (like me).

but, screamer, if it is any consolation they don't even make the powerpoint slides half of the time. The textbook publishers provide them to instructors that are customized for the specific books.

OOPS! Did I just spoil your last bit of joy in your education? :cry:

couple of the books i've actually used in classes:

The Architecture of Computer Hardware and Systems Software : An Information Technology Approach by Irv Englander (CS220)

Systems Analysis and Design Methods 5e by Jeffrey L. Whitten et. al. (CS360)

Protect your Digital Privacy by Glee Harrah Cady et. al. (MG340 - Managing Information Privacy)

unfortunately my CIS major program doesn't let me get into my really technically CS Courses until end of sophmore year/beginning of junior year (starting junior year this fall) so it's mostly been boring intro to business and (some interesting ) liberal arts classes

good luck!

Also check local college bookstores during the school year they sometimes have

books on sale since or are trying to get rid of old books that the school won't

use next year for dirt cheap sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some college bookstores...but if I remember correctly my old university wanted to see a student ID when you bought a book, and I can't be certain mine is still valid.

ntheory - computer ethics? did you see my icon? :P jk

Hey ntheory, thanks for the A Gift of Fire suggestion. The Book Really looks intresting.. I think i will get it

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some college bookstores...but if I remember correctly my old university wanted to see a student ID when you bought a book, and I can't be certain mine is still valid.

wanted id? that is strange...every college bookstore I have ever been to was HAPPY to take your money with their overpriced textbooks. I've never seen a request for ID. They are already buttfukking you dry on the price anyway, why should they care?

I was actually goign to suggest that you simply browse an actual college textbook store. They usually shelves their books by genre and/or by class/section so that you can look up which textbook is used for your class. Or whatever class you are interested in, in your case.

I am sure that you are already prepared to pay 100 bucks each for the upper level textbooks. Mayeb 75 used. :( yessirree...dry ass fukked...no lube, no tickle foreplay, not even a reacharound...just dry anal rape...

:puke:

Stank, you one sick son of a bitch.

But I'll try my old school's bookstore just the same, after all, it's not like I don't have the ID anyway :)

yessirree...dry ass fukked...no lube, no tickle foreplay, not even a reacharound...just dry anal rape...

:puke:

sounds like something Randell from Clerks would say!!

or Sean K for that matter!

ntheory - computer ethics? did you see my icon? :P jk

:P

I thought the same thing but then the teacher started talking about Therac 25 and things got really interesting all of the sudden.

Last year I met someone in a VxWorks training class that programs hardware similar to the Therac 25 and had a pretty long discussion about system testing and liability which was quite cool.

The ethics were a no brainer in the class, it was the supporting material that made it worth going to.

ntheory - Was there any hacker discussions in the class? And did the class force proper ethics upon you, or was it a more open place where you could discuss what was right and what was wrong? That was always a lot more interesting to me, especially when we got into whether things were wrong by nature, or whether it was mankind that made them wrong. I might have a blackhat icon, but it's mostly just symbollic irony because I've never condemned things a lot of people do with computers (gaining access without permission, etc) but at the same time, have never condoned destruction of data or other cruel acts. I don't think it's right to get into someone's home machine, but if someone got into a massive mainframe? To be honest, I see no harm (thus, the blackhat).

It's a blurry line between right and wrong, and I'd love to hear about some of the things that were discussed in the class. If it was just engineering stuff and bug testing, like with the Therac 25, I'd probably be the first to stand up and ask if Therac ran on windows :roll:

I'd probably be the first to stand up and ask if Therac ran on windows :roll:

Well, NTs roots did originate from VMS! :lol:

Meanwhile, the man being treated was being burnt by the radiation so bad that he got off the table he was on and found the technician. He complained about the pain he was feeling in his shoulder but the technician had no reason for the cause of the pain. It was believed that the proper mode was in place and that the proper dosage was being given. It was not until three weeks later

THAT HE BECAME THERAC25 MAN! ENGINEERING SUPER VILLIAN!

ntheory - Was there any hacker discussions in the class?  And did the class force proper ethics upon you, or was it a more open place where you could discuss what was right and what was wrong?

There was never a right or wrong in the class. Even if the teacher stated his own opinion about something he was always very receptive to discussion and even openly admitted he was wrong when he was presented with facts that he hadn't heard before.

There were hacking discussions in the class. The usual DMCA type stuff we talk about and all that. At the time the big topics were Napster, exploits, Microsoft and the DOJ, etc.

The teacher stressed the point that the class wasn't to enforce his ethics upon us. He wanted us to get in the habit of hearing other people out no matter how fixed you were on your own opinion. He was kind of like a geek referee at times when people disagreed which was pretty amusing.

I think about it a lot when I listen to OTW and OTH. Emmanuel sounds so fixed in his ways that no matter what news he presents often says something like "I don't understand how anyone could possibly see this any other way" and "What other side is there" (disclaimer: not actual quotes, just paraphrasing). He would've definitely failed this class.

Acknowledging and accepting other possibilities are two different things, and I think Emmanuel doesn't have to accept anything on the air that he doesn't want to. Same goes for class, or any other situation for that matter. I'll listen to arguments, but if I think something is bullshit (ie: a girl explaining why her sheriff father should have the right to speed whenever he likes) then as far as I'm concerned, it's bullshit.

The class sounds interesting, I definitely respect professors that encourage you to disagree, and I love the ones that are happy to see you defy them. I'm reminded of a history of law class I took. I wrote a paper discussing the DMCA, and expected the teacher to lash out at me...but sure enough he loved it. He started discussing the topics I brought up in class, and even seemed to agree with me when I put it into terms he could understand. For example, decrypting a dvd means nothing to him. However, explaining how the DMCA makes information illegal is something that infuriated him.

offtopic***

Feend the avatar suits you.