SLITwristSTAR

Red Boxing

24 posts in this topic

I can't speak for my mates down South, but I know it still works across Canada.

it works in some areas, though not in the same way that it did several years ago. Red Boxing for long-distance calls is more or less dead to my knowledge.

Red Boxing long distance calls is the easiest way to do it in Canada. ;)

It still works on the centurions here in Newfoundland :) And I think you can still red box long distance too.

-Andrew

Red Boxing long distance calls is the easiest way to do it in Canada. ;)

i go to winsor, ont. from time to time. i know what you mean. ^_^ as far as the u.s., it works from time to time in my location. but only on sbc....**cough**.... sorry, the new at&t's payphones. <_< but only for local calls. i don't really fuck around with it anymore.

Edited by t3st.s3t

I wish people would search the forums for questions like this.

It seams every couple of months this topic comes back up.

Yes it works when going thru acts trunks for local and regional calls.

The only way to find out is to try it yourself and see if it works where you are, remeber acts not cocots.

www.verizonfears.com/redbox.html

This topic does indeed come up too often but I'll briefly explain anyway. NOTE: The knowledge I have on this subject is from placing coin telephone calls with real coins, not with a red box or toll fraud device of any kind...

Red boxing is still possible, just not long distance anymore. The reason why everyone thinks red boxing is obsolete is because AT&T's Automated Coin Toll System (ACTS) is no longer in place nationwide like it used to be. No matter where you lived (with few exceptions maybe), you would get AT&T's ACTS on the line when dialing long distance. That doesn't mean however, other carriers don't have their own ACTS.

The main telco territory you can red box in is Verizon territory. Verizon payphones give you a ACTS prompt in a few scenarios: if you dial a number that is regional toll, choose to place a coin call to a number you looked up in directory assistance (including for calling 411 to begin with in most areas), dial a cell phone number (sometimes 0 + cell phone number), or when you have a LOCAL operator assist you in dialing a number that is local or regonal toll. These cases of getting ACTS on the line can vary depending on the payphone (hybrids and half breeds have firmware that can prevent you from dialing certain things), or area you are in.

As for other telco territories, using directory assistance or a local operator is often the only way to get ACTS on the line, because calls often require coins to be inserted before dialing the number you want to call (special thanks to Greyarea for letting me know about that). So all in all, you can't red box LONG DISTANCE anymore.

So all in all, you can't red box LONG DISTANCE anymore.

...In the USA. In Canada, you can still "red box."

Keep an eye out in 2600 for an article addressing this issue.

There was that article a while ago where someone was talking about using the tones to SE with. I think that takes a lot of explaining to get it to work though.

From who...?

*waves hand*

I taught him everything he knows.

;)

~If directory assistance has the number you need it might cost 50 cents or so to make the directory assistance call and then you use the red box to pay for the call~

You couldn't address me about this beforehand Ratchet? The reason I haven't published my red boxing article already is because of a certain something that happened to ALL Verizon payphones in the country... The hybrid article was the main thing I was having second thoughts on but still, I was planning on editing the article to make it more "appropriate" and safer to make public. I mean I've been learning and experimenting with ACTS here for a LONG LONG time; for many years!!! It would have been most appropriate for me to eventually spill the beans myself.

Bypassing/manipulating the firmware in those types of payphones, as I explain in my private article, ended up getting a little tied into red boxing for the reason that a lot of the time the firmware in ACTS payphones prevent you from getting a local operator or cell phone exchange. Did you know that in Verizon territory a cell phone number, even local, will often bring up a ACTS prompt? Did you know that dialing 0 + cell phone number is often an alternate way of getting the ACTS prompt? Did you know that directory assistance can come in handy for getting a ACTS prompt? I have a feeling you didn't know at least one of those things. I wanted to complete the article this way and go over all the tricks and methods of red boxing as of today. Hell, a lot of people don't even know that in Verizon territory you can keep racking up your overtime credit by repeatedly inserting coins (or playing red box tones if you're that kind of person).

But whatever I just had to spend several days fixing a flat tire in Lowell without having a spare tire or donut with me; the last thing I needed to get was a text message telling me that Black Ratchet attempted to publish my idea that I myself know soooo much about and put a lot of work into. You could have at least given me a heads up. I know I hesitated putting it out but there was a reason for it believe me; if nothing had happened recently I would have released it sooner. You have expertise in other subjects besides red boxing; I have an extreme amount of knowledge AND experience (a shit load of experience might I add) on it (with real coins of course). You could have made an article on anything but that, such as something VoIP/Asterisk related. It's not like I wouldn't have shouted you out; I do recall you telling me about that trick that gives you so called "live intercepts" which came in handy as an added trick/method.

Then don't publish it in 2600, Royal. Send it somewhere else. I'm sure natas would host it on his site.

Then don't publish it in 2600, Royal. Send it somewhere else. I'm sure natas would host it on his site.

I had plans to release it to 2600 magazine, and this is one of two topics (one topic I decided I will never release about firmware) that I know a lot about and it is my only chance to release something that would benefit readers. If I make an article/text file on a different topic, then it really isn't 2600 material. So Black Ratchet is stealing what could be my only chance of having at least ONE good article that would fit very nicely in 2600 magazine. I can't think of anything else I would ever put in 2600, except one other article I'm almost done with but recently realized would ruin the exploit in a hurry. I don't mean to sound like I'm being selfish, but everybody in the scene knows what I've been doing research on; some of you have been giving me information based on payphones and ACTS in other geographic areas, and those who contributed in any way will of course be first in the shouts. Obviously I'm going to have it released on someone's site if I don't get it published and I know many who would be more than happy to do so, but if I can get this one article on 2600, it would be for the better because it's the one topic I know A LOT about, and have A LOT of personal experience with.

BlackRatchet, I'm not trying to be disrespectful but the least you could have done was confront me about something that was originally MY IDEA! I know you mentioned it this summer but you didn't seem serious about it and I figured you'd at least let me know when you were about to send it out. You're taking an opportunity from me that I could never get back. We need to talk. I'll contact you soon when I have time to chat.

BlackRatchet, I'm not trying to be disrespectful but the least you could have done was confront me about something that was originally MY IDEA!  I know you mentioned it this summer but you didn't seem serious about it and I figured you'd at least let me know when you were about to send it out.  You're taking an opportunity from me that I could never get back.  We need to talk.  I'll contact you soon when I have time to chat.

I know you're not trying to be disrespectful. I was not and still am not trying to be disrespectful. However, I had this article "almost ready" before I first heard you mention your article. I put this on hold ever since I first heard you mention yours.

However, that was a year ago. -_-

After talking to people (including people we both know) I was told to submit it. I told you about it in August. If you had brought this up then... :(

Also, this does not block you from writing an article on red boxing. My article addresses the issue of "Can I still Red Box?" (Which I was tired of answering, and seeing gobs of incorrect info out there) The goodly part of my article was a historical perspective and the more of the WHY of it working, not the mechanics.

The phone number on my sig rings me.

Ok Ratchet I'm glad we cleared all this up because I rarely flip out like that. After our conversation and your explanation of how the article takes a different approach by mainly answering "Can I still red box?", I actually feel better about the whole thing. Still, it would have been the better thing to do to confront me as well.

Considering my approach explains how you can red box and goes over tricks and methods, I feel I will still be able to release something as I have been saying (yes I decided the "red boxing" subject alone can be publicized). And besides, I'm not one to provoke a feud, I avoid conflict and drama when I can.

I haven't been on this board in months. Last time I was here, there was a "Is Red Boxing Dead" topic.

And there always will be.

Redboxing is far from dead in Canada. Whilst its impossible to do on a telus/bell/cocot millenium its still easy and fun to do on a centurion, or a fortress you may come across. The first issue of WCP had an article which touched on this matter.

And royal, I'll publish your article in wcp if your not going to send it elsewhere. It will definatley make it into the print issue, and you might just get a free copy.

I think he mentioned that he was still going to send it to 2600. :/