Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unity

ESU 3072's

9 posts in this topic

I've got a question about the Western Electric ESU 3072 switches. I've been calling some numbers served by ESU switches recently, particularly 706-422 (Atlanta, GA), 641-317 (De Moines, Iowa), and 618-281 (St Louis, MO) exchanges. I've noticed that they all have, what sounds to be, the same lady doing the recordings. Even the machines playing back the recordings sound the same. They all seem to stumble over the same words, like, "and." Does anyone know what these systems are? I made some calls to other ESU systems, particularly in 765-522, and it didn't sound at all the same way. But I have foudn more ESU's that do sound that way than don't. So I was wondering, what type of machine is that? Does anyone have any information or what not?

Also, another slightly unrelated question. I was putting some calls through to 618-281-0 this morning, to listen to the intercept recordings for purpose of comparing with other ESU switches, as stated above. I could be wrong about the switchtype, by the way. I'm just going off of what telcodata.us said, I haven't had a chance to speak with the switchmen in those areas yet. Anyways, I called 618-281-0012, and it played the recording back once, then dropped me to a recording that said something along the lines of, "Due to technical difficulties we are unable to route your call. 12 00" I'm just wondering, whereabouts is '12 00' ? I still don't really know how to tell what is where by those numbers on the end of the recording, in most places in the 'States. I can figure it out alright in Canada, but I'm stumped on the US. Anyone have any insight as far as that goes?

Anyways, I'm out. Merry Christmas to ya.

i'll give a call to, or stop by the CO that handles the 706-422 exchange sometime soon and see if i can find something out for you.

feel free to give me a call sometime next week and bitch at me for taking too long to contact them, you've got the number :)

Yeah man, and I've got some other information that I was hoping you could verify in Atlanta, GA. I'll talk to you later man.

if you read this soon, i will be idling on the telephreak IRC server, we can talk there. I'd offer to conf, but my grandma is sleeping on the other side of the room.

The unable to route your call mesage in the weird frenchy voice is the Telu$ intercept when your unsupervised call times out, I get it alot from my Telu$ mobility cellphone when I call the 718 extender.

-Andrew

That is not a "Western Electric ESU 3072" - there's no such thing.

The recording you're hearing is coming from a digital recorded announcement machine manufactured by a company called Cognitronics. You typically find them used in association with Automatic Electric GTD5-EAX switches, which tend to be used in former GTE territories and in independent telephone company territories, but never in former Bell System territories.

Looking in LERG, let's see what the switchtypes are for these prefixes:

706-422-A

SWITCH DETAIL: CHWOGAXADS0

--------------------------

TYPE: GT5

OCN: 4332 ALLTEL GEORGIA COMMUNICATION CORP.

AOCN: 4332 ALLTEL GEORGIA COMMUNICATION CORP.

ADDRESS: 220 N 2ND AV

CHATSWORTH, GA 30705

641-317-A

SWITCH DETAIL: CETNIAXCDS0

OCN: 1167 IOWA TELECOMM SVCS DBA IOWA TELECOM - NORTH

AOCN: 1167 IOWA TELECOMM SVCS DBA IOWA TELECOM - NORTH

ADDRESS: 117 N ELM ST

CRESTON, IA 50801

618-281-A

SWITCH DETAIL: CLMAILXEDS0

OCN: 1026 HARRISONVILLE TELEPHONE CO.

AOCN: 1026 HARRISONVILLE TELEPHONE CO.

ADDRESS: 114-6 MAIN STREET-COLUMBIA

COLUMBIA, IL 62236

So they're all GTD-5 EAX, and they're all independents. Who told you this was a "Western Electric ESU 3072"?

Telcodata.us has all three listed as Automatic Electric ESU 3072 Line Capacity switches. It was abbreviated as Auto/Elec, so maybe it was read wrong, because I don't see Western Electric listed anywhere.

Too bad LERG access isn't free, or we'd all be more accurate :)

Telcodata.us has all three listed as Automatic Electric ESU 3072 Line Capacity switches.  It was abbreviated as Auto/Elec, so maybe it was read wrong, because I don't see Western Electric listed anywhere.

Too bad LERG access isn't free, or we'd all be more accurate :)

Ugh. Yet another reason not to trust telcodata.us :)