sh4rk80Y

Case upgrade

8 posts in this topic

Hey this is probly goign to be fairly basic for someone to answer but I dont want to end up with a case that I can't use. Ive been looking online for some new cases and found that for the most part for the midsized ones (what im looking at) they are called ATX. It looks like its one of the more default type of cases but I cant be sure... Whats the difference between ATX and the otherones and also is a SOYO KT KT600 lol ATX....

Okay so when I looked on my mobo box it said ATX on it so Its safe too assume that its compatible haha, but still could someone explain to me what the difference is?

thanks,

sh4rk80Y

ATX is the standard size for motherboards that has been used for at least 10 years. Unless the case explicitly doesn't say it supports ATX, there's about a 99.99999% chance it does. I'm not sure what "difference" you want to have explained to you because all you mentioned was ATX.

Just about everything you buy will be ATX.

Whats the difference between ATX and the otherones and also is a SOYO KT KT600 lol ATX

ATX is a motherboard form factor. SOYO KT KT600 is a motherboard chipset.

There are More. Depends on how old your computer is, If it was made in the last decade, it is almost definetly ATX, or Mini ATX (Just small, but still fits ATX cases, I think). Well, if you happened to have an OLD ASS computer, like in the 80's, It'll be AT...

I know Dell motherboards won't fit into off the shelf cases. I'm not sure about the other OEM's.

I know Dell motherboards won't fit into off the shelf cases. I'm not sure about the other OEM's.

True. Sh4rkB0y post the name of the mobo, who makes it? Is it a computer that you made, or someone made, or one that you upgraded the Mobo?

True. Sh4rkB0y post the name of the mobo, who makes it? Is it a computer that you made, or someone made, or one that you upgraded the Mobo?

Its a SOYO KT600 dragon plus v1.0. Its a computer I made from buying old parts off a freind. I need a better case though and a proper power supply which is why im looking into them.

Almost everything in a Dell box is proprietary (same with most whitebox OEMs like Gateway, etc.). For instance, you cannot use a COTS PSU on a Dell motherboard because some of the rails put out different voltages and some of the molex connectors are different. A COTS case won't fit a Dell mobo because Dell uses a proprietary hole scheme. They do this because "our (meaning Dell) parts typically exceed industry spec and what is needed by the machine itself. We find it cheaper to make it proprietary so our parts are plug-n-play." This was an almost verbatim quote I read last week on this exact matter.