Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfalcon

MacGyver Hacking

19 posts in this topic

Alright, well this isn't necessarily computer related (unless you use the battery on the mainboard for a purpose not what it's designed for) but who here does/has a repository of information relating to this kind of hacking.

I mean sure, if you're a chem major, you probably could cook something up but I'm looking for something along the lines of tips and tricks. Like a table of chemical equivalents using stuff you can get at the store.

For instance, rust and a 300$ bike mixed together can burn through a cast iron engine block (thermite)...

or

Take drain cleaner and mix it with beer cans and water to create Ortho-Hydrogen which one could run a motor from.

Also for a technical spin:

If you have a CD that is very scratched up, you can use a butane torch and with just the right touch (it will be destroyed if you hold in one spot for any length of time) to resurface the plastic and remove the scratch (i've done it only a handful of times). I've also tried turtle wax and peanut butter with varied results as it just fills in the cracks from reflecting light.

Anyone else have one to add?

Like a table of chemical equivalents using stuff you can get at the store. 

I'm pretty sure the anarchist cookbook has something like this. It used to anyway. Google for a copy and look.

with a title as

Whites and Blacks: 100 Facts (And One Lie) by Reverend White (Racist Screed)

who would of thought it would be racist? not me!

The key to being an archive is not to decide, here in the dawn of information, what "should" be saved.

Edited by Jason Scott

You can make gun cotton. You use some nitric acid and some Sulfuric.

Nitric acid can also be bought diluted, for cleaning vaccum pumps. Sulfuric is a little harder to come by.

alfa aesar chemical supply

Anyway, mix that up in equal parts until it gets hot and steams. Then add some cotton.

Edited by EncinoMan

You can make gun cotton. You use some nitric acid and some Sulfuric.

This is some powerful stuff. It was used in a recent episode of Myth Busters. Of course they only showed part of the process to make it and they didn't tell you what chemicals they used to do so.

There was an episode of NOVA that told you how to make gun cotton, and all sorts of mean explosives.

I hate it when the "Mythbusters" say, 'we arent going to tell you how to do this..etc' . Yea yea, insurance, but why say it at all, you know?

toothpaste works good on cd scratches. no joke my sisters friend has done it a few times

toothpaste works good on cd scratches. no joke my sisters friend has done it a few times

I'd be afraid it's too abrasive for the CD (adding to the scratches).

Speaking of toothpaste, it does work well as a glue for hanging posters and stuff.

There was an episode of NOVA that told you how to make gun cotton, and all sorts of mean explosives.

Think you could find out the name of the episode? Im sure it could be found on the net somewhere if you knew what it was called... B)

Think you could find out the name of the episode? Im sure it could be found on the net somewhere if you knew what it was called... B)

It was kalled "KABOOM". I think I have a VHS tape of it lying around.

But, uh.. I wouldn't try to make gun cotton if you value your fingers. Or any of the other super-high explosives they tell you how to make (trinitroglycerin etc), because yes, they do work and yes, you will blow up.

if your just lookin for a cheap boom, some works toilet bowl cleaner, tin foil, and a pop bottle. if you dont know what im working about, search for works bomb on google.

also, toothpaste is great for filling holes in your walls when you move.

Green Light Stump Killer is mostly pure potassium nitrate. I've used it to make homebrew Fourth of July fireworks and black powder for my signal cannon.

Manganese Dioxide can be found in old "dry cell" zinc-carbon batteries that have died (these are the lighter-in-weight "heavy duty" batteries -- they're usually cheaper). You just cut the zinc part and crush the non-carbon crumbly stuff. Add hydrogen peroxide to it and it catalyzes out the oxygen, which is cool to play with in passing it through a tube into candle flames, or sticking glowing match splints into it and having them burst back to flame.

Many light alloys contain high amounts of magnesium, including the backs of stock 1999 Ford Ranger radios and the non-plastic green military tent lashing keepers. Shave it with a knife or file or wood rasp and it's great for starting damp fires. Magnesium in itself is great to light for the hell of it, especially if you have a torch hot enough to get a chunk of it going. Don't look directly at it when it burns!

Liquid Lightening drain opener is highly concentrated Sulphuric Acid. It also opens drains *very* quickly.

In a pinch, one can roll tin foil or a gum wrapper around a blown tube-type electronics fuse to get it to conduct again.