Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
latiffs

Problems With freeBSd

14 posts in this topic

I have a Creative EMU10k1 sound card (eMicro EM28028 AC97 Codec). I tried to load up the emu10k1 driver using the following command:

kldload snd_emu10k1

Unfortunately, after a few seconds of playing some music, the sound gets messed up and i hear buzzes. This never happened in any of my GNU/Linux distributions and is pretty darn frustrating. I got my atheros chipset wireless card to work and i can read my reiserfs partition. But the sound is messing me up. How can i fix this? . This is what happens when i try to use the sound card.

dmesg output (cut off some stuf) :

pcm0: <Creative EMU10k1> port 0x6c00-0x6c1f irq 10 at device 13.0 on pci0
pcm0: <eMicro EM28028 AC97 Codec>
pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

Can i fix this by compiling my own kernel?

That didn't fix it. Now i am running archlinux. I will be switching to gentoo, either over the weekend or during christmas vacation.

Last time I saw a computer that had random buzzing from a sound card it was because the soundcard shared an IRQ with a RAID controller. Whenever the HD's wrote, the sound card buzzed. I moved the sound card to a different slot, and turned off PNP BIOS, and the problem was solved. I can understand why you'd switch, but you're missing out on a lot just because of a sound card :(.

If your goin to switch distro everytime you run into a problem , your goin to run out of distro's pretty quick !

Took me month's to work out all ( well most ) of the problem's I had with FreeBSD, I stuck with it, it stuck with me, we get on very well now :-)

The hacker spirit don't have the word "quit" in it !

Well that's true. Ok, i'll switch in a couple minutes. Switching systems is obsessive. I mean, i change systems like every two days. I always wanted to try out FreeBSD.

yes freeBSD is a very good system, I went back to slackware just because it's one of those systems that I keep going back to lol

Slackware is very similar to BSD, but with BSD you get ports. I started with slack, and it paved the way for me to go to bsd.

well I just use linuxpackages.net to find the program I m loooking for since it's always there usually, kinda like apt-get

Edited by kitche

I have FreeBSD up and running, no problems thus far. My soundcard works great. :D I can't wait to play around with my machine.

I have FreeBSD up and running, no problems thus far. My soundcard works great.  :D I can't wait to play around with my machine.

That's because your problem was common, on the mailing list, and you could have patched it in all of two minutes, but now the patch is default, so the problem took care of itself.

If you check out the #slackware room on freenode there is a lot of beef with swaret, and they'll give you an earfull why. I can't remember a summary of their beef, but it is well founded and researchd. Stick with slapt-get.

I've pretty much settled with FreeBSD. What are some ptifalls that i should try to avoid? What are some differences between *BSD systems and Gnu/Linux? Is the system programming very different?