Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GIJoe

DVD burning

8 posts in this topic

A while back I archived some of my DVDs to DVD-R. I did this at 8x though the first time, and I soon found out (after spending many many hours and many DVDs) that this didnt work too well in a set top DVD player. So, I bought some more DVD-Rs, and this time I wanted to just copy the unprotected 8x copy again as a 2x copy. I got this to work once when I tried it a couple weeks ago, however now trying it, my burning software tells me every single on my disks is scratched/ cant be read. But there should be nothing wrong with the data and the disks have been sitting in a soft case. Just thought I would put this up here because it seems there is something simple I may be overlooking that would allow me to fix this.

To note, I used DVDShrink to rip the DVDs into an .iso, and burned from those images. Also, I can get the DVDs to play in the set top player, it is just that often, usually between chapter changes, it just stops and goes back several chapters, otherwise it works fine. From what Ive heard from people this problem is due just to the burn speed.

Thanks if anybody has any thoughts!

What brand of DVD burner are you using, and what brand set-top box are you using. Also, what brand blank DVDs are you using?

I have a Plextor 16x DVD burner, and burning 16x Memorex DVDs hasn't given me a problem on any of my set-top boxes. I have an old dvd player, a really cheap dvd player, never a problem.

Yeah I always buy memorex media. You can't really beat it in my humble opinon, and office depot usually has them on sale in the 50 packs.

-Dr^ZigMan

Thats what Ive been using :) I'm going to hope that it is simply due to burning errors and just try to re-burn it all. I just didnt know if this was something common that could be prevented. Thanks though :)

what software are you using to make the backups? what DVD player are you using? what DVD-+R drive are you using? did you set the book-type to DVD-ROM? see the attached image.

I use a NEC-3500 drive with 3rd party firmware that allows the book type to be set, Nero and Ritek DVD+R discs. when I burn any faster then about 6X-8X, my 5 year old Pioneer DVD changer has trouble about 1/2 way into the movie. if I rip the DVD+R using DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink and make sure I set the book type to DVD-ROM, that are fine. I mostly see this with DVD+R DL discs.

look at:

www.vcdhelp.com

www.cdfreaks.com

let me know if you need any more help.

post-1576-1133924783_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikes

Most likely it's your burn speed. I use very very cheap dvd's for my copying and burn them at 2X. I rarely have a problem. Also as a note, I usually rip them with DVD Decrypter first before running them through DVD shrink, it seems to do a better job ripping.

Good luck and happy burning!

-GutSmith.

Yeah, it makes a HUGE difference what kind of DVD you use.

So be sure to read whether they are DVD+R, DVD-R, or whatever before you buy.

The same thing happened to me. I wasted about 10 DVDs before I actually took the initiative to get help. I felt like a complete retard when the guy at the store pointed out the obvious difference. So don't feel stupid...you're not the only one this has happened to.