Amerikan

SSH

23 posts in this topic

okay heres the thing

by previus topic was telnet then i got told to do ssh.

so today i was reading around and it said xp already has a telnet server, so i decided to look in the administrator tools and i found windows ssh. so i ssh'd my ip and it says

'(big long paragraph about laws) and then

owner@(my ip)'s password:

so i used the l variable and tried my acounts pass, but it wont work.

so o ooo any help here?

hmmm now i tried

net user owner

and it gave me my acount name and my normal password wont work.

You don't use 'net use' for ssh. Net use, if I remember righly is for netbios (file and print sharing), the whole point of using ssh is to avoid that sort of thing.

What you need for ssh to access the ssh server is putty (ssh client) or winscp (file copying client).

You don't use 'net use' for ssh. Net use, if I remember righly is for netbios (file and print sharing), the whole point of using ssh is to avoid that sort of thing.

What you need for ssh to access the ssh server is putty (ssh client) or winscp (file copying client).

i net user 'd and it showed my main acount was the owner acount but the password wont work.

i have putty.

so my problem is to find this password. i know putty is just a client and all that. and i also know is mycomputer has a ssh server on it.. i dont know how but it gives root and yeah.

I don't know about 'windows XP's built in ssh' - never knew it had it but if it's anything like OpenSSH you need to explicity add a username and password to the ssh server that's allready on your domain (or your PC). I have no idea how to do that but there should either be an option in the gui somewhere or a cmd line command to do it.

Try adding your username and the "at" symbol to the connection address: for example, if your XP box happened to be 192.168.0.1, and your username was joe, you'd want to connect to joe@192.168.0.1. It should then ask you for joe@192.168.0.1's password.

Try adding your username and the "at" symbol to the connection address: for example, if your XP box happened to be 192.168.0.1, and your username was joe, you'd want to connect to joe@192.168.0.1. It should then ask you for joe@192.168.0.1's password.

okay so i need to find out how to add stuff to the server? it does automatically come up with the 'owner@myip password:' like thing so now i should find out how to add a acount to the server?

i didnt know abou the ssh thing and i dont think iv installed one but i came upon it while looking through the services in administrative tools.

Stop trying to hack your school, when you're found you'll just get expelled.

Stop trying to hack your school, when you're found you'll just get expelled.

im not trying at all to do this. iv tried the ssh at school didnt work, left it there.

this is my home computer. my school blocks forums such as this.. though i could get past that block(most people can) i dont want to.

i really just want to know how i can do this for my own computer and it almost is irritating that im trying to get help and i get accused of this.

I am trying to find out because i am in love with computers and want to have a wide range of knowledge. :(

(edit) mmk its like ive been looking up telnet servers and such then i was told here that i should just get into ssh. this isnt for hackign school comps.

Edited by Amerikan

Ok. If you can't find how to configure the XP ssh server to add another user to it's list and set their home directory then give up and use OpenSSH instead - that's easy enough to use and comes with a readme.txt that shows you how to setup another user, etc.

Then try again and tell us what happened.

You're not alone in this, most people could do with some improvement but: could you try to be a bit more descriptive of what you've tried to do and go into some details? You stand much more chance of being helped out then.

:monk:

If you want to run OpenSSH on widows xp, you can grab it from http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ And install it. It works pretty much the same way as OpenSSH on *nix.

Not trying to steal your thread, but just a quick question...Where do you set the password for your SSH account in OpenSSH for win xp? I ran the

mkpasswd -l [-u <username>] >> ..\etc\passwd

and I tried to connect to my ssh server from a different computer, the problem was that Putty asked for a password, and I never actually set one, so how do you make a passphrase or password, or w/e you need?

If you want to run OpenSSH on widows xp, you can grab it from http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ And install it. It works pretty much the same way as OpenSSH on *nix.

Not trying to steal your thread, but just a quick question...Where do you set the password for your SSH account in OpenSSH for win xp? I ran the

mkpasswd -l [-u <username>] >> ..\etc\passwd

and I tried to connect to my ssh server from a different computer, the problem was that Putty asked for a password, and I never actually set one, so how do you make a passphrase or password, or w/e you need?

yeah this is the same with me i think you edit the mkpasswd file in the colder but yeah, anyone know?

It should just be the password to your XP account. If you are in Cygwin, then type

passwd username

and type in your password twice to create a new one (NOTE: I am not sure if this works since I do not use Windows very often.)

It should just be the password to your XP account. If you are in Cygwin, then type

passwd username

and type in your password twice to create a new one (NOTE: I am not sure if this works since I do not use Windows very often.)

The problem with that is that my windows account does not have a password, due to my parents being nosy...So then what do I do???

Here is what worked for me:

Make yourself a normal password in windows, and then try running

mkpasswd -l -u cypress > ..\etc\passwd

Thanks to Issac from the ssh mailing list on erdelynet.com

The problem with that is that my windows account does not have a password, due to my parents being nosy...So then what do I do???

I hope your computer isn't on the internet! Educate your parents in the importance of using passwords. If necessary, tell them your password but for god sakes, use one, especially if you're on the net.

as for the open ssh stuff, here's a quick list of what I did to get it working:

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
download the binary installer for windows
run setupssh.exe
install all to C:\OpenSSH
open dos and type:
cd C:\OpenSSH\bin
mkgroup -l >> ..\etc\group
mkpasswd -l -u <username> >> ..\etc\passwd
where <username> is an authenticated user of this system. For this, I added a user called share, with restricted access, using the control pannel.
mkpasswd -l -u share >> ..\etc\passwd
Now edit the file C:\OpenSSH\etc
you should see something like...
share:unused_by_nt/2000/ ... ... :/home/share:/bin/switch
replace /home/share with /cygdrive/E/user/cartman
or wherever you keep the file you want to share. This will be you ssh home dir.
reboot.
the ssh server will now start.
download winscp and install on the client machine (http://winscp.net/eng/download.php#download2)

I hope your computer isn't on the internet! Educate your parents in the importance of using passwords. If necessary, tell them your password but for god sakes, use one, especially if you're on the net.

My machine is on the internet. I am not really that afraid about it for two main reasons: i have a physical firewall and my important documents are encrypted.

My machine is on the internet. I am not really that afraid about it for two main reasons: i have a physical firewall and my important documents are encrypted.

What if someone breaks into one of your boxes through a vulnerability in IE or Firefox while you are browsing t3h web? It's a good idea to do your best to secure each individual box behind your firewall incase something did infact happen.

mmk i really am lost.

so lets put it this way,

mmk lets say i want my password to be meow how would i do this in openssh

Ok Amerikan, here is what you do.

So you have installed OpenSSH

Click on Start-->Run and type in 'cmd' or 'command'

then cd to where OpenSSH is installed 'cd "C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\" ' (remove single quotes, keep the double quotes)

then cd into bin ' cd bin'

from there run 'mkgroup -l >> ..\etc\group'

and also this 'mkgroup -d >> ..\etc\group' (not really sure if you need to)

then run 'mkpasswd -l -u <username> >> ..\etc\passwd (substitute this with your user name)

That should be all. Your password would be the password that you put in everytime you log in. If you don't have a windows log-in password, you have 2 ways to go (a) make one (B) make a different account just for your OpenSSH with a windows password and then run

'mkpasswd -l -u ssh >> ..\etc\passwd' where ssh would be the name of the new account. The account's password would be windows log-in password.

'mkpasswd -l -u <username> >> ..\etc\passwd (substitute this with                      your user name)

>> was unexpected at this time.

i got to the step before this!

Amerikan, you might want to post to the mailing list of the sshwindows people. Just go to http://erdelynet.com/ssh-l/ and then decide how you want to subscribe and just send an email. They were able to help me out, they might do the same for you.