Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarryCaul

defeating wiretaps

8 posts in this topic

Here's my question about the C-tone thing, is an idle DTMF "C" on your line when it's on hook ALL THE TIME, or only if there's a wiretap that requires it to know the status of the phone line? I've monitored my phoneline manytimes in the on-hook position and never realized any C-tone. Secondly, I fear this white paper talking about orangeboxing =), I can't believe it didn't talk about invisible boxing though =D

According to the NY Times web site, there are security flaws that let you defeat FBI wiretaps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/30/national/30tap.html

http://www.crypto.com/papers/wiretapping/

I fear that the article is by Markoff.

Does analog pysical by the governmet even happen any longer?

And if there's a tap physically connected to your wire pair, wouldn't it be easier to just hunt it down and break it?

If I understand this correctly, the most interesting part of this is the ability to mislead the feds by injecting bogus numbers and gaps.

Have to read the article more carefully.

BTW, Blaze worked at AT&T Bell Labs research, though not in the dept where I worked.

Here's my question about the C-tone thing, is an idle DTMF "C" on your line when it's on hook ALL THE TIME, or only if there's a wiretap that requires it to know the status of the phone line?  I've monitored my phoneline manytimes in the on-hook position and never realized any C-tone.

Neither, reread the article.

the part about dosing calea CCC channels with call forwarding is kind of funny and interesting....

Crazy shit, this guys friend called into my work the other day and told me about this. But it wasnt supposed to get published until like 2 weeks from now.

But yea we chatted for a little while.