Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EncinoMan

Verizon laying fiber right now!!

39 posts in this topic

FIOS??? pfft

I heard that Cablevision is going to be upgrading their networks shortly and planning to sell 50 mbps sync to residential customers over their cable lines

yo what is up with that. they switch your line from copper to fios. and you're having the same service and line.  it's not voip.  but it's not copper.  wtf does it sound like?  does it still sound as good as copper?  verizon "claims" better than copper.  but people say that about voip so i dunno.

When I lived in Vegas, I had fiber-to-the-curb from the ILEC. It was just like a regular telephone line, except that Sprint provisioned it to be a single DS0 on what sounded like a standard T1, with all the bit-robbed ickiness that implies. I'll have to go digging for my minidiscs, but I believe that the bit-robbed carrier whine is in the background of every single recording I ever made from my Las Vegas telephone line.

Done correctly, voip should actually sound better than a standard T1, since you get the full 64kbps of bandwidth with only 10ms of latency for the packet framing to occur. One of the friends I call most frequently is a 93ms ping away from my box, so the total latency on the call is 103ms or so, and it's completely unnoticeable. Adding more highly compressed codecs into the mix increases your latency.

Speaking of latency, anyone here remember long distance calls via satellite in the 80s? :D

Speaking of latency, anyone here remember long distance calls via satellite in the 80s? :D

HA!, thats nothing. I remember as a kid about 10 years ago AT&T was using its shortwave stations to transmit phone to the Navy out at sea. My cousin would call from the aircraftcarrier she was stationed on. The whole operation was done over one frequency IN SIMPLEX! The delay was at least a second and you could not talk when the other person was talking. They got rid of the station here in NJ in 99' . It was quite a remarkable operation they had going on all over the coast.

Here is a link

Ocean Gate

Edited by EncinoMan

I went on a little trip this weekend based on a "hot tip" from a few of my family members. For those of you who live in the NJ/NY area, Verizon is laying fiber all along highway 35 and all major roads , basically the entire central coast from Tom's River to Middletown/Holmdel  . Dozens of trucks are out. Its amazing. I will do my best to track them in the next few weeks and post anything interesting.

WTF. South Jersey rednecks don't need fiber.... :P

Offtopic, how do I find out if I can get fiber round me?

I live on the border of NY and NJ, in NJ. Most of the guys I work with in NY have fiber and my town is suppposed to be one of the first in northern NJ to get fiber to the house. They didn't say when, but I guess it will be soon.

I went on a little trip this weekend based on a "hot tip" from a few of my family members. For those of you who live in the NJ/NY area, Verizon is laying fiber all along highway 35 and all major roads , basically the entire central coast from Tom's River to Middletown/Holmdel  . Dozens of trucks are out. Its amazing. I will do my best to track them in the next few weeks and post anything interesting.

WTF. South Jersey rednecks don't need fiber.... :P

Offtopic, how do I find out if I can get fiber round me?

I live on the border of NY and NJ, in NJ. Most of the guys I work with in NY have fiber and my town is suppposed to be one of the first in northern NJ to get fiber to the house. They didn't say when, but I guess it will be soon.

Live on the border eh? Union county I assume?

They're coming to install it at my place on 12/9/05, next friday. I'm getting the cheapest one, but it's still okay, 2 MB up and 5 MB down. I think they have a 5 MB up and a 14 MB down around me.

I've had FIOS for a while now. The only differences I've noticed from my earlier copper/DSL service are:

1. One time when my service went down, the Verizon tech showed up *early* to the service appointment. Once I regained conciousness, he explained that Verizon is deliberately giving preference to its fiber customers on repairs, as "fiber is the future." My understanding is that it would be cheaper for them if all their old copper customers switched to fiber so they wouldn't have to keep maintaining their aging copper lines.

2. You get more equipment in your basement with lots of pretty glowing lights. The box on top is some kind of battery backup. I opened it for the attached photo. It contains a (motorcycle?) battery that I'm told I'll have to eventually replace at my own expense. The lower box plugs into my house's A/C power.

post-2243-1133475558_thumb.jpg

Edited by notyourtim

dude notyourtim you fuckin rock.

that is cool looking although hate the fact that your phone line now requires AC power

yea, i live next to portland, and we just got fios...i must tell you, 15/5 mbs is unbelivable, but once they offer the 50/15 wew, it will be unreal.

my dad lays the fiber down around here, and says they are going to run tv on fios too.

I've had FIOS for a while now.  The only differences I've noticed from my earlier copper/DSL service are:

1.  One time when my service went down, the Verizon tech showed up *early* to the service appointment.  Once I regained conciousness, he explained that Verizon is deliberately giving preference to its fiber customers on repairs, as "fiber is the future."  My understanding is that it would be cheaper for them if all their old copper customers switched to fiber so they wouldn't have to keep maintaining their aging copper lines.

2.  You get more equipment in your basement with lots of pretty glowing lights.  The box on top is some kind of battery backup.  I opened it for the attached photo.  It contains a (motorcycle?) battery that I'm told I'll have to eventually replace at my own expense.  The lower box plugs into my house's A/C power.

Any numbers on the box to figure out how much electricity it costs you?

Any numbers on the box to figure out how much electricity it costs you?

The AC power supply box has a little label describing its inputs: 0.75 amps.

So, assuming I remember my physics right (a long shot---feel free to correct me) that's 110 volts * 0.75 amps = 82.5 Watts assuming that the device is always using the full amps.

The formula my electricity provider uses to calculate billing is so baroque it's absurd, but as near as I can tell I'm paying about $0.01US per kilowatt/hour. So it must cost me up to $0.000825 an hour to power the magic FIOS box... something like $7.23 a year.

I cast.... "RESSURECT THREAD!"

Forgot I had these, when I was getting my car inspected, Verizon was stringing /something/ across the street. I assume it was fiber, as my city is slated to get it. Anyway, enjoy:

Verizon Stringing Fiber

16c65f40.jpg

crj45t2-EthernetSpliterCable2.jpg

Thats all I got to say about fios.

/me waits for neighbor to get fios