Vangald

Netlimiter alternative....

8 posts in this topic

I was looking for a program that can limit how much bandwidth each of my comps on my network can use. Anyone know anything that can help?

I was looking for a program that can limit how much bandwidth each of my comps on my network can use. Anyone know anything that can help?

I know altq in netbsd and openbsd can do this and more.

I would rather not have to switch os's just for this feature but its nice to know when I set up a bsd box. :D

On linux you can look at the packet shaping stuff. I've never used it, and it looks horribly complicated from what little I've read on it, but it should do the trick I think. There's a Howto on the LDP I believe.

For Windows I've not seen anything for free, but there's a nice program called SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager that you can get for $35 that I've used the demo of before. Gives quite flexible control over how the bandwidth allocations work for the single computer, but not sure how well works in a router situation. (Not that you'd ever use Windows for a router anyway...)

Edited by sazzer

If you have a wt54g you can install a firmware called dd-wrt which has a program called rflow collector which I think can do it, but it has the worst documentation ever it's written in leet. A good firmware otherwise.

Unfortunetly I am using wrk54g linksys. Although I will look into the packet shaping stuff for my linux box (if I can ever get it up and running).

That's not very open source..like the parent asked for.